Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

rags

Bluey, as someone who spent a lifetime driving Sydney, I think if not doing the toll roads I would suggest the blue line is not a bad option. There is a good alternative though, getting of the Hume freeway at the Camden Valley way near Casula, turn onto the old Hume Hwy (A28) and following the A28;route all the way to Carlingford, ( this is otherwise known as the Cumberland Hwy and the Pennant Hills Road. Then turn right at Carlingford down Carlingford Rd then at Epping turn right onto Beecroft Rd, head up and over the railway line and go straight down Epping Rd till you turn onto Delhi Rd at North Ryde.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com
I remember a few years back cutting thru Sydney from Canberra to head home up the coast I missed the off ramp for Hornsby, the tag was going like a dinner gong so I belted up an off ramp, well tunnel actually and thought where the hell will this lead, the tortuous years of having to drive thru Sydney paid off came out into the sun into familiar territory, cost a bluddy fortune, if it happened now I would need a loan......... In the city I go into truck mode, "Look out coming thru folks".

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
Now @Drover measured the van im under 2.8 high its that with pop top up im also just under 12.5 long so are the tolls much cheaper as im not as big as a b double or as heavy ???????
Im going straight up the hume could go newel hwy but its a bit rough 2 lanes lots of your truckie mates hume is quite a good hwy now all be it a boreing drive 4 lanes all the way
Took van for test drive with air bags in cruiser and tested brakes after doing bareing and brake work to van all good most impressed

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Gee I thought you would be just over 12.5mts long, well thats okay then you should skid in at car rate....... Shall we all wait and see how you fare ????????

Might run the tape over my rig, the old Ute was 5.8m and the Jeep is shorter by heaps but doubt I'll be under 12.5 as Big Mal is near the 9mt mark and certainly blows the height a sits 2.95m ..............................

Good to hear the bags are working well and you got those brakes sorted, rotten job isn't it.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
Morning all LAST DAY WORKING
I will miss the train and the hospital ward every morning probly not .......
Cars all packed misses bluey sorting out the van just my bag tonight leave in morning head for Gundagai leave at around 6 am was thinking of driveing straight to Sydney but its 42 at Gundagai 39 sydney will be 40 around the border so stopping half way will be the go the car will get hot enough ive booked a shady site at Gundagai get there after lunch then a night at Lane cove then Forster here we come ......
Im finnishing at 1 but its 39 here today so hopefully earlier ... safe travells to all

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
Bloody hot at Gundagai 35 now 830 was 43 earlier cruiser went fine used 1 litre more than prado to get to holbrook going by last years figures with about the same stuff but i think i have more as more room in cruiser but it did it so much easier hope hume is open tomoz and nsw get some rain to put out fires
Smoke haze started about an hr from border rear view mirror is like a dust storm behind you but its smoke
At the river side van park air con flat out
20191219_135126.jpg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
Good morning all from sunny Forster warming up bit windy but thats nice water has been good fishing been ok 30cm bream and 30 cm flaty and kids got heaps of small fish to keep them happy ......sea egales diveing into water near our boat yesterday which was good ..... van park will fill on saturday mite drive to Seal Rocks today
Hope everyone had a good Christmas

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
Morning once again time for a new jockey wheel ive saw this one in the park people say its pretty good anyone here got one bit more expencive at 100 odd bucks but its better than a standard wheel i reckon after 5 years mine has gone to the caravan gods its still with me but only just we will part ways when i get home it served me well a folding arm one from Bcf but i think the sidewinder one looks the goods made in SA not often now days you can bye stuff made here rated to 700 kgs has a greese nipple at the top
Screenshot_20191230-160900.png

rags

Mate at Sussex Inlet NSW has just started to fight a last ditch battle as the fire is 50 mts from his door, hes fought a few over the years but this is bad, concerned for folks on the NSW Sth Coast.....They expectComms to go on the Sth Coast tonight....
My thoughts and prayers are with them all.
Just home now after spending few weeks with my old community rfs in the Blue Mts. Not real flash out there.
On a positive note, took the van along for accomodation and must say the investment in a compressor fridge along with solar and batteries has been well worth it. The van hasn’t been near a power point for over a month but has kept the fridge super cool during this time in some plus 40 degree days.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I'm pleased to report my mate at Sussex Inlet managed to stop the fire at his front door and is an oasis amongst black scrub, reckons he will be living in his van for the next week or so as the power will be down that long............. of course he wasn't alone his missus was the hose tender and one of the hundreds of trucks fighting this huge blaze was helping him.............. His pics certainly brought back some memories that I hope I won't see again here......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Some of my tribe in Canberra have sent pics of the smoke they are enduring and have thrown some of our grandkids on a plane to QLD so they dont choke....The planned trip to the ACT in a few weeks more than likely canned I think...... Might head north for the wet season.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
My brother just got home from batemans bay, he lives in nth Nowra and there’ll all concerned if the fire jumps the shoalhaven there all I’m line and the fire will probably burn through kangaroo valley and keep going, not good times

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep once it jumps the Shoalhaven if up near the Tallowa Dam it can just run up the Kangaroo to the village, its a scary place to be with bush fires, it just races up the valley and no way top stop it.
HMAS Albatross on the edge of Nowra, the Fleet Air Arm base has had the fires at the edge of the strip, I have seen it at the perimeter before but to jump into the base .... thats scary stuff............ Have lots of friends in that area my old stomping ground.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
BLAZE AID .................... thinking I might pack the old tools in a bag, hook up Big Mal and head off to lend a hand, well as much as an old coot can do anyway, mind is willing but the body beautiful may have other thoughts, fencing and stuff can be a a source of much pain of an evening, especially for an old bugger....anyone Been There Done That with Blaze Aid ?????