Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Yep, you are pedantic and when I typed it out I thought I should add Reg, trust you to pick up on it...... I have copies of both, well thumbed and certainly first editions.
Hi,
I was an academic and accuracy in quoting references is drummed into us. And I was pedantic about this, especially when I was reviewing papers for publication. Old habits die hard!

My copy is in the van and not easy to reach. But if I remember correctly a lot of the recipes and techniques came from Reg.

Way more people will know Jack, but I would like to ensure Reg is also remembered.

The book is a treasure, right up there with Paddy Pallin.

take care
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi,
I was an academic and accuracy in quoting references is drummed into us. And I was pedantic about this, especially when I was reviewing papers for publication. Old habits die hard!

My copy is in the van and not easy to reach. But if I remember correctly a lot of the recipes and techniques came from Reg.

Way more people will know Jack, but I would like to ensure Reg is also remembered.

The book is a treasure, right up there with Paddy Pallin.

take care
Mike

Reg was certainly the Chief Cook, he spent most of his time as a Station Cook, in the shed and camps so certainly was a legendary cook, well known for sure and would leave these pasty, pansy TV cooks for dead.................... This great book wa sprinted in 1982 and reprinted twice in 1983, $12.95 at Angus and Robertson the tag in mine says.......... I would often do "Dogs In Blankets" or "Brumbies in the Sandhills' in camp, mny boys would eat you out of home and anything to fill em up, the Kangaroo Tail recipes I used Ox Tail mostly, easier than listen to them scream if i stopped for a fresh road kill....:biggrin1:......

We lost Jack, legendary Australian in 2019 , I have always wanted one of his paintings... not sure when Reg went though.

If you want a quick rundown on this great bloke here's a link; https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-03-10/jack-absalom-life-of-a-renaissance-bushman/9523960

Along with Len Beadel, Harry Butler and Les Hiddins, Jack is up there with my Bushmen of Australia, I'll never be a bushmen like them but I certainly try.

Might throw some more posts on these two great fellas............maybe an Absolute Absalom Thread ................

PS: Might have to get out the Oven, hasn't been used for many years but is in pristine condition.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We have one too
image.jpg

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Off to Echuca tomoz should be good if i can get the van out of driveway its probly rusted in and seized up test the GVM too
I was hoping to go away for the weekend but the lady who works with my wife tested positive to COVID and so my wife is now in isolation, thankfully nearly over. She has now been tested twice but has been negative both times.

I am living and working in the van so that is fun except it would be much better in a beach location.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
stay safe 1daylll best wishes to you and the missus, my wife is immune depressed, so we have been locked down since the beginning, i have never done so much gardening since we bought our place 40+ years ago , i have even sorted our my years of collected treasure, and as i put them on display the missus said what is going to happen to all that junk when you are gone? i asked if she was suggesting something? again best of luck stay well, cliff and jenny

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I was hoping to go away for the weekend but the lady who works with my wife tested positive to COVID and so my wife is now in isolation, thankfully nearly over. She has now been tested twice but has been negative both times.

I am living and working in the van so that is fun except it would be much better in a beach location.

Thanks for letting us all know @1DayIll l and I am sure all members are thinking of you and your current situation. Stay safe and stay well for yourself. And best wishes for a NEGATIVE result for your "everloving wife". One rarely thinks too much about the spread of Covid-19 until it affects someone you know or even closer!! But it is "out there"!! At least you will know everything about your van before you are released into the outside world. Cheers...Graham

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
These books are like bums, everyone's got one. Now you have photos of both of mine, the book and ....... you know what

My book is a hard cover edition ........................... I have noticed some folk have two.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
These are the two bums that live above the stove in our van happy cooking

Attachments

• 943207BC-9F3E-4E8F-964C-C8F285ED4F54.jpeg
    943207BC-9F3E-4E8F-964C-C8F285ED4F54.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 86
  • FE557C21-FFAF-4776-928A-A0FFAF980688.jpeg
    FE557C21-FFAF-4776-928A-A0FFAF980688.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 75
  • AE4CB4BE-1396-4B87-A68A-013F4B1B92E0.jpeg
    AE4CB4BE-1396-4B87-A68A-013F4B1B92E0.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 84

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
thats a newie on me, some of the so called on the road cook books have more ingredients than a top shelf deli, finding truffles for my souffle is harder than finding the right wine to go with my quail pate,and humming bird wings on toast,

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Some cow, some piglet, some tattie, a few cackle berries , big bottle of dead horse and for emergencies a bag of flour and a tin of jam.... Of course a can opener, not much more needed...leaves heaps of room for Beer..

Reactions: Crusty181

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
stay safe 1daylll best wishes to you and the missus, my wife is immune depressed, so we have been locked down since the beginning, i have never done so much gardening since we bought our place 40+ years ago , i have even sorted our my years of collected treasure, and as i put them on display the missus said what is going to happen to all that junk when you are gone? i asked if she was suggesting something? again best of luck stay well, cliff and jenny
Thanks. My wife cleaned the bedroom and the bookshelves have never looked so good. Hope your Missus is doing OK.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Thanks for letting us all know @1DayIll l and I am sure all members are thinking of you and your current situation. Stay safe and stay well for yourself. And best wishes for a NEGATIVE result for your "everloving wife". One rarely thinks too much about the spread of Covid-19 until it affects someone you know or even closer!! But it is "out there"!! At least you will know everything about your van before you are released into the outside world. Cheers...Graham
Thanks. We are now in the clear and everything is good. Hope to get away soon but need a park with an en-suite.
Thanks again.