Ford Everest

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yes was hoping the bottom of the range Fortuner had more on and was a little cheaper although steel rims :)
The Colorado7 with free servicing for 5 years not bad .. Thinking do we go 4x2 Mux around $35k
Although you would assume the resale the Toyota will be the best of the lot.
If only the Prado had 3 tonne towing.
Mate said get a 550 Pathfinder.

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Im going to test an Everest Trend next week. Back to back with the new Fortuner.
Out of interest, if I decide on an Everest, would the factory tow ball be any better then an after market? What plug will ford fit? My Expanda has the 12 pin flat, but currently the tow row of pins are pulled back. Not sure if I should get those sorted, or change to an Ando.
Also would after market bullbars work with the front parking sensors, or am I forced into taking the factory bullbar? I think its 3.5k.
You will be looking at a wait of about 8 weeks for aftermarket towbar for the Everest.We can't pick our van up because no towbar.Luckily Caravanland will deliver it.

Doyle's

Oct 6, 2014
Wangaratta
Hi all, this is my maiden post. Picked up our new everest trend about 4 weeks ago. Nearly clocked up 2000ks already. Towed the 17.56.01 OB beautifully. Very smooth and quiet to drive. Fam love it. Haven't had a 4wd before so still a bit nervous about getting off the bitumen. In no hurry as I reckon I'll have this one for good while. Cheers

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Hi all, this is my maiden post. Picked up our new everest trend about 4 weeks ago. Nearly clocked up 2000ks already. Towed the 17.56.01 OB beautifully. Very smooth and quiet to drive. Fam love it. Haven't had a 4wd before so still a bit nervous about getting off the bitumen. In no hurry as I reckon I'll have this one for good while. Cheers
We love our new Everest Trend as well
Havn't clocked up as many ks as you yet

Reactions: Jimbo

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yes was hoping the bottom of the range Fortuner had more on and was a little cheaper although steel rims :)
The Colorado7 with free servicing for 5 years not bad .. Thinking do we go 4x2 Mux around $35k
Although you would assume the resale the Toyota will be the best of the lot.
If only the Prado had 3 tonne towing.
Mate said get a 550 Pathfinder.
very carefull dave with that

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Fantastic @Tricky you know we what pics ;)
Let me know how it tows cannot find anyone online who towed as yet.. Be interesting how much the back end sags on stock suspension. Seeing lease $'s good it's back on our list again..

Did you ask them to check your batteries terminals on pickup ;) sorry

There is someone on the Ford Forum who has towed, albeit a 1.3T CT, but positive review none the less.

Fabulously! With and without the camper trailer attached, we were amazed with the handling. Overall, the camper towed flawlessly behind the Everest, and at times, I forgot all 1.3t of it was even there.

The 20 inch wheels did really well on the sand. As they are low profile, I did some research on the correct pressure and let them down to 20psi before heading onto the sand (they sit around 40psi on the tarmac). Wouldn't have known any different to be honest between these wheels and the higher profile ones I had on the Prado.

The 'sand mode' that comes with the Titanium is great - we could feel the difference between it and tarmac mode when on sand, and as we tested it out more and more, we headed into areas we'd previously gotten stuck in the sand and the Everest breezed through. We did travel a little slower than normal on the bypass between Teewah and Rainbow Beach, as its rocky terrain and I wanted to be careful with the lower profile tyres. No need to rocket through it anyway.

Fuel economy while towing on the tarmac was around 11L. Towing on the sand around 14L. Driving without towing on the sand around 12.5L. Incidentally, I'm seen fuel economy between 7.4-8.8L when driving all highway recently.

One annoying technical issue. When the trailer wiring harness was fitted, the dealer became aware of a glitch that is apparently being fixed in a software update coming out in the next few weeks. The glitch is that the Everest thinks there is a trailer attached permanently now -- something to do with a switch in the trailer plug that detects attachment (weird if you ask me)? So at the moment, Blind Spot Monitoring (my fav tech) and Rear Collision Monitoring stays disabled, and the bloody message comes up every 3-4 minutes needing a press of the OK button
doh.gif
Also when reversing, if you get close to something the camera switches to trailer mode, which is very handy when hitching up, but not so much when reversing without it. No ETA on the software update yet so shall update when I know.

Also quite accidentally found you can zoom in/out the reverse camera. ALSO handy when hitching up!

Reactions: bigcol and Rockape

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks mate zooming camera that be good I manually add a small camera with blue tack for hitching plug it into where the caravan camera is.. Our rear camera is off centre so cannot see towball ;(
Yesterday I had it to high saw nothing apart from the hitch which almost touched camera when hooking up ;(

Let me know how it goes towing what's the run in 1000ks

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks mate zooming camera that be good I manually add a small camera with blue tack for hitching plug it into where the caravan camera is.. Our rear camera is off centre so cannot see towball ;(
Yesterday I had it to high saw nothing apart from the hitch which almost touched camera when hooking up ;(

Let me know how it goes towing what's the run in 1000ks

@davemc that's not my experience. I copied it from another forum.

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
And if not.... Better get here before Feb!
Well Feb looks like a plan at this stage.Originally we had plans for the tour down under in Adelaide in Jan but that has fallen flat.
Want to get a couple of short weekend trips in first to iron out any problems

Reactions: dagree

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
image.jpeg
Well, we did the first test trip. About an 80k round trip to Bayswater Jayco and back ( got a couple of small items fixed. Highly recommend Rob and the team there).
Towed easily- about 180kg on the ball and the van weighs approx 1900 kg. Back only dropped about 30 mm. Used the standard 3000kg ball mount without a WDH.

Very impressed with capability. Love it!

Last edited:

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
The auto is great. Would never tow again with a manual (had a manual Falcon a few years ago, not good when backing particularly). Easy to use - just left it in drive and it did the rest!

Last edited: