Ford Everest

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
The Fortuner and Everest are a bit narrower. So it's not the large wide SUV truck people complain about.
I know when we looked and mentioned carseats both the Toyota and the Ford salesman said go for Prado/Territory.
It depends on what your putting in the 2nd or 3rd row. For us we needed 2 car seats in 2nd row and a adult the carseats pushed into the 3rd seat so maybe a kid although a Adult would of been squished. The Mux was a little wider although when I sat there with the two car seats I know I have had more room in economy on Tiger air. The Isuzu guy said 2 carseats and adult go Kluger/Prado/Territory etc :)

OzLap

Jan 29, 2016
Melbourne
Hi Everest owners,

We too are very happy with our Everest (Trend). Only beef I have is that the headrest is not adjustable and is located too far forward (IMHO - rests/pushes against my head when I try to sit straight). Have asked the question of Ford if an adjustable headrest is on the drawing board for the near future. Plan B is to use the adjustable headrest out of the Kuger which fits but is a little rattly (will need to pack out the mounting rods a little).

Can I ask about what people have done for the electrical wiring to the 12pin socket?
We have the factory fitted socket supplied with the car and I am assuming I will need to run upgraded wires for Fridge Power. I am also considering upgraded wiring for charging the van batteries (2 x 100 AH) - perhaps using a couple of the larger unused pins on the 12 pin plug.

Also wondering if people had to do anything special to get the reversing sensor de-activated in reverse when the caravan is plugged in? Did it just work (sensing electrical load perhaps?) or did it need a special 12 pin plug on the caravan end? Caravan due early June so I haven't been able to test this yet.
>edit: it just worked and senses the electrical load I believe. Van has LED lights and there was not problem with flickering lights due to load not being large enough.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Dan-14.44

Oct 15, 2015
Geelong
Add us to the Everest gang. Our trend in sunset will be here next week. I've also been thinking about the brake controller and fridge wiring. I'd like to run a relay to an ignition circuit to cut off power when the engine isn't running (I've drained the battery on the Navara once before). I'm wondering if anyone has tried it on their Everest or Ranger and what they used to power the relay.

Thanks,
Dan

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While I can't help with your wiring questions on the Everest I will say Don't run your fridge or van battery charging through the 12 pin use Anderson plugs from the start then you won't have to revisit the connection.

If your going to be travelling for 9 or 10 hrs a day then getting your van fridge to run on 12v from car is worthwhile but for just the 5 or 6 hr run every few days it's not worth the money as 12v doesn't really do much, better fridge insulation is more effective.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
In the wiring harness/plug for our Territory there is a micro switch which de activates the reversing sensors.
Yes, If like my BT50 then there is a magnet style switch on the car plug that drops connection when the little plug/harness dust cover is opened

Dan-14.44

Oct 15, 2015
Geelong
The factory wiring 12 pin plug is already wired for constant 12v.

I use it to run the fridge whilst travelling

That's good to know. I didn't know it was wired into the factory plug. The flat 12 pin plug has not given me any dramas running the 14.44's 150L fridge while travelling with the old Navara. It kept it cold on a trip to Canberra last Xmas on a 45 degree day.

Last edited:

OzLap

Jan 29, 2016
Melbourne
To Dan and others,

The attached pdf is a summary of what I have pieced together over the last couple of months. Some key observations:

1) Everest (like most recent vehicles) has a smart charge function that reduces the alternator voltage once the cranking battery has been charged. This reduced voltage then plays havoc with keeping fridges running and batteries charged in the caravan and will contribute to greater current draw through 12 pin connectors. Simplest solution is to get the service department to turn it off. This keeps the alternator voltage at 14.x volts giving good juice for the van power.

2) As Dan states, I have also come to the conclusion that an ignition controlled relay to enable power to the van is the way to go. No ignition on, no power to van, no flat car battery. If I am stopped for long enough to worry about the van fridge warming up then I need to turn it on to gas.

3) Pin 2 - The standard function for pin 2 on the 12pin flat plug is reversing lights but I believe Jayco wire up the caravan with the following connected to this pin:
a) auxiliary power to the Setec battery charger which then charges the van batteries as well as powering 12v circuits,
b) the Breakaway battery for charging
c) the ESC unit (which I guess could draw up to 15A (for tandem axle van) if it locks the van brakes on - happy for someone to correct me on this)

If you are free camping, then the van batteries (I will have 2 x 100AH) might be wanting to draw lots of current to recharge. This is a lot through the small 15A connector that is pin 2. My plan is to leave the reversing wire in pin 2 on the car so it will work on trailers and change the wiring on the caravan plug from pin 2 to pin 8 (larger connector rated to 35A) with the associated negative return path through pin 11 - refer to attached diagram.

I also have a plan to put in a 12V battery charger in the van and use this instead of the Setec to charge the batteries from the car.

Keen to hear people's thoughts about any clangers in my thinking here. Thanks.

Attachments

• Visio-Tug Electrical Mods Rev 0.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 689

Dan-14.44

Oct 15, 2015
Geelong
BTT.. pic after a test drive after installing the red arc brake controller.
IMG_0248.JPG

OzLap

Jan 29, 2016
Melbourne
Hi Dan,

Used the Red Arc controller on long weekend with 17" Expanda and it seems to work nicely. I haven't experimented with the setting of the brake controller knob to know what it should be set to so just left it on 5 (halfway). I think from memory that 0 is the stronger braking and 10 is the weaker setting.

Matho

Feb 15, 2015
Carnegie
Hi Team,
Just got a new Everest. When putting the 17.56.1 outback on I get 40mm sag at the rear axle and rise of 20mm at the front. Do you think I need WDH for it?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yes most assuredly........my Colorado would drop 15mm and rise 25mm at front, WDH sorted it out, good load onboard.
Look around to upgrade suspension later as the original stuff on most vehicles is rubbish if your towing a fair bit...I went Blue Max gear, good price, service and works well...

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Agreed with Drover when I had the old 80's cruser had the same problem sagging in the rear put the WDH on and no problems all though it did need a new set of shockers as well and I put them in to sell it.(should have done it earlyer):ambivalence:
but now I have the ranger I dont seem to have sagging yet but check this out when I get the new van coming soon (if the we can decide what we want):argue:

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I work on the theory - if the Van is 2000kgs or more
WDH is a MUST

on a new Vehicle, you must remember, the suspension is made at a price, to do 80% of what the Target buyer will do
they do not figure that you will actually tow with them or they would supply them with better suspension

I would suggest Airbags in the rear as well as the WDH to help the springs, unless you are already planning to replace the springs and shocks to something that will work

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
I work on the theory - if the Van is 2000kgs or more
WDH is a MUST

on a new Vehicle, you must remember, the suspension is made at a price, to do 80% of what the Target buyer will do
they do not figure that you will actually tow with them or they would supply them with better suspension

I would suggest Airbags in the rear as well as the WDH to help the springs, unless you are already planning to replace the springs and shocks to something that will work

I'd suggest you check the owners manual and see what is recommended.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Some info in manuals is mainly to cover the manufacturers bum................

With WDH how it all sits when hooked up dictates if you need one or not, not all set ups are the same and if you have the van and tug loaded properly, not overloaded or right on max then you can decide if WDH is needed, no two set ups are the same...........If your empty and it sags in the middle then it means suspension upgrade....a WDH won't fix it......

The new wheels look pretty Schmick @Fabulous , rims look similar to a Grand Cherokee set I once had, still got that new car smell and all I suppose.