Ford Everest

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
My mate told me today, they are having trouble with the auto transmission in their Everest, 4 weeks old hasn't towed anything, has been back to Ford once already where they checked fluids and setting on the computer lasted two days it's booked in again after Christmas

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
I hope you mate gets a good resolution to that issue @Bushman. But im having similar problems with my wifes new Ford Focus auto. Its 17 months old now, with 13000ks, and its been back to the dealer 4 times. They have replaced the clutch twice, and had the TCM done last week, but still no fix. They want to do a new clutch again in Jan. Its basically a brand new piece of sh*t. Im going to have to sell it when the warranty is ending, not happy! I note on some other forums it is a known problem with this model, and I see that Ford have dumped that engine/gearbox in the new Focus.
Maybe Ford just dont do gearboxes well.
Its a shame, as my last car was a petrol Territory, and it was faultless. Best car I have owned.

Reactions: bigcol

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Towed 600km yesterday with Everest fully laden with 4 people, back full with fridge and other "necessary " holiday gear. The 18.58.1 towed beautifully. Everest towed the van better than my previous Territory. Very impressed.

This is depressing reading. I want one but unfortunately can't afford to upgrade. How have you secured your fridge. Do they have cargo barriers for them yet. I am in the U.S. At the moment and the Explorers look very similar.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
There is a cargo barrier available but I just use the tie downs in the rear to secure the fridge.

The US Explorers have are a similar size but they are very different from an Everest.:)

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
@Tricky Just found this thread via search as considering buying a Everest (or Prado). We tow a 16.49-1 expanda with a Kluger currently. Would love to avoid need for WDH. Particularly when wife heads off early with kids and I catch up later, as WDH makes it harder for her to connect/disconnect.

Did you use a WDH on your long trip?

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I hope you mate gets a good resolution to that issue @Bushman. But im having similar problems with my wifes new Ford Focus auto. Its 17 months old now, with 13000ks, and its been back to the dealer 4 times. They have replaced the clutch twice, and had the TCM done last week, but still no fix. They want to do a new clutch again in Jan. Its basically a brand new piece of sh*t. Im going to have to sell it when the warranty is ending, not happy! I note on some other forums it is a known problem with this model, and I see that Ford have dumped that engine/gearbox in the new Focus.
Maybe Ford just dont do gearboxes well.
Its a shame, as my last car was a petrol Territory, and it was faultless. Best car I have owned.
On the news last night there was a lawyer trying to start a class action against Ford about the crap power shift gearboxes fitted to Fiesta, Focus and Ecosport. They are a very troublesome gearbox so it will be interesting how the class action goes. Maybe worth looking in to, as trade in prices on anything with that type of gearbox is low due to the industry knowing what a POS they are.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
On the news last night there was a lawyer trying to start a class action against Ford about the crap power shift gearboxes fitted to Fiesta, Focus and Ecosport. They are a very troublesome gearbox so it will be interesting how the class action goes. Maybe worth looking in to, as trade in prices on anything with that type of gearbox is low due to the industry knowing what a POS they are.

Nothing to do with Everest. Let's stay on topic

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
@Tricky it unfortunately does have something to do with Everest, they are made by the same manufacturer. So how Ford chooses to deal with massive engineering problems may assist new buyers with making informed decisions.
But... Good timing to bring this up. As we have just done a deal with Ford to replace the lemon Focus. They would not do a refund (I think that what the class action members will go for) However they gave us fair market value on the trade in, and sold us the brand new MY16 Focus, that doesn't have that piece of crap duel clutch gearbox with a $9500 discount. So although im not thrilled that I have to buy my way out of a problem that I didn't create, I am happy we will get a new car at a pretty good discount. And the new model won the small car of the year last year, so Im hopeful this will restore my faith in the brand. As my Territory was a bloody awesome car, absolutely loved it, which is what made me choose the Focus, which was a lemon! So hopefully this was an unusual blemish for Ford.

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Was a nice drive. Feels a lot more car like than the Playdoh (which is what we are choosing between).

Feels like a bit less space, narrower and boot seemed smaller. I've not gone back and checked actual dimensions though so just a feeling.

Was louder in the cabin and there was an annoying vibration through the accelerator pedal. The latter seemed to be a fault.

Salesman was much nicer than the Toyota guy.

Since we do not need more than 2.5 tonne towing my gut feel right now is to go the Playdoh particularly given how they hold their value. Give the Everest a couple of years of good track record and it could take a lot of market share. Plenty of new tech that the Playdoh does not have.

Could not go wrong with either is my summation.