Drovers New Horse - RG Colorado

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The mail man was a mate today, he brought me my Free Wheeling Hubs for the Ute....................since I fitted the new suspension I've been thinking I should add some FW Hubs, finally did it so today I pulled out the toll box and spent a wonderful half hour tinkering................
Just jacked up a front wheel, removed axle cir clip, pulled off the fixed hub, cleaned up the face and fitted the new hub, repeated on other side all done, was nice to dip finger into grease again....... Hub01.jpg...(thats an allen key)

With fixed hub wheel would spin about half a turn, with the FWH it would get nearly 2 turns and on the 100km test run, it was way smoother to drive, might have been quieter but these damn tyres are noisy as anything.......................

..hub02.jpg...................................Now I don't have to worry about screwing up the CV as it sits higher than normal, should return a bit better fuel as not driving the axle/diff/shaft and if I need low range to drag Big Mal up something no need to worry about winding up the TC, good news allround........bought on E Bay, probably chink but have met a couple of fellas who had them with no dramas and they look to be machined as good as AGM's................always keep a fixed hub in tools box anyway as they will break if not locked in position prop[erly no matter what brand......Have broken a few over the years.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Listened to a 4wd podcast that said a lot of things about hubs and diff locks.......end result.......buy a modern 4wd........with traction control and other electronic wizardry and forget conventional wisdom from the 80's......

Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The only problem with that @peterg is the Colorado is not constant FWD, it is 2WD until you turn the dial to 4H or 4L, so in the meantime you are turning the front axles/diff/shaft for no reason plus having a lift the CV's are higher angle so disconnecting the hubs makes for less drag and strain on the CV's, the addition of air lockers would be a nice addition, I like the auto's for bush work makes life easier even though I may use manual sometimes................all this wizardry I suppose is required as most people don't have the skills, I see it all the time up here.

Fella reckoned he never has to check his tyres thanks to his electronic magic, so he never knows the slice in the tyre wall, uneven wear of tyre, wheel nut missing or any of the other things you check when checking the tyre pressure....................then expects me to show him how to use his jack.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Fella reckoned he never has to check his tyres thanks to his electronic magic, so he never knows the slice in the tyre wall, uneven wear of tyre, wheel nut missing or any of the other things you check when checking the tyre pressure....................then expects me to show him how to use his jack.

yeppers, they are out there -

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
met a guy on Callcup Hill (near Pemberton, on the beach) its about 500mtrs starting at 15* then goes to 30* then about 35* last 100 mtrs
soft soft sand all the way up (squeaks when you walk on it)

brand new 100 series (was in 2005) all mod cons - a Sahara

he was bogged to the running boards, and 2/3 up the hill, and wanted towed to the top, not the bottom.............
he had not let his tyres down - because he did not have an air pump
had NO recovery gear
and, according to him, he was in a hurry to get to a restaurant in Pemberton

the guy I was with ended up towing him up and out (with a Patrol mind you)

not even a thanks once he was at the top

I voted to leave him there as a lesson on stupidity - but was out voted

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had my new snatch strap (son wrecked my old one) in the bag for years until I used it, then it was because I had to tow a Whiz Bang out of the way, 2WD stuck in sand going to the beach, go figure the DH's....................must be 10 yrs old and never used to tow me, only the odd tourist.

I did sit back once and instructed how to get out of a bog, they had no gear and I said mine was back at camp, it wasn't but it would have got dirty and the only way to learn was use your hands.....lol,lol, and when we drive past that spot the memory is strong and we both smile.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
37489-6a35f5b2c7140b6620ed4703f60eabd5.jpg

this is Callcup Hill

Remember that hill from my old surfing days many moons ago... The old man's FJ55 Landcruiser (Work ute) use to "fly" up there. Geez I'd be dead if he saw how we did it 8-)

I did sit back once and instructed how to get out of a bog, they had no gear
Did similar with a couple of overseas visitors, dressed in a suit & tie and the other in a fancy dress, at the Lancilen dunes one time. They hired a Honda CRV and went sight seeing....... They got a close look at the local white sand for a good hour :D

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yeah.

No one minds helping those in real need but I also baulk at helping idiots who think others are there for them.

We were approached by a carload of Spanish backpackers to start their car as the battery was flat. I know it was flat as they'd had the car radio blaring for days.

I hope they found someone else as I wasn't interested.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Fathers day so I let my kids buy me an Awning for The Ute with their inheritance, got one from Aldi, yeah I can hear the wails from here already but they are actually better constructed than some of the others I have seen, which did surprise me, it can be nicely tensioned and the poles actually brace it unlike some...........if the wind hadn't come up I would have a pic of it set up but have to suffice with it wrapped it for now.

uteawning.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Great for beach fishing stops.

Ours is about six years old and still going....not going strong as the legs sometimes refuse to lock which is interesting to say the least. We find it very useful for wet conditions which we always get when we go to south Aust so we set it up when we pack up van and car and we stay relatively dry. I always have to remind myself to dry it out ASAP. Mould is not very attractive but it gives it character.

I'm pleased you are encouraging the kids to spend their inheritance! We're spending it on ourselves in preference and the bucket list is getting a pounding.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I stumbled on the thought when I was justifying spending the money a: Fathers Day b: Use their inheritance to finance it, made me get an evil smile.........next up they might buy us a boat, I just send them a pic to say thanks after the fact of course.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Christmas is coming.....lots of boat ads and you really want to save them time, because they're really busy....and effort because it's exhausting trying to find something appropriate to buy you.....and money as you'll contribute and take them out fishing so a good life skill for kids and grandkids.

There you go, a great bit of rationalising / arguing and everyone will be happy.