Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great read CD.

Funny your comment about the dust from an approaching car due to no rain. My mate did the Oodnatta Track last week and it poured with rain, and the photos he sent me looked like a river in parts. Lucky that didn't hit you with the Expanda in tow. He said it was a struggle keeping the car in front of the camper.

As for the WDH, i do not run one when towing with the Trol either. I do have Polyairs though.

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
I agree with Bushman,after finally getting Our 14.44-4 level We fitted HR WDH and towing was a dream compared to when We drove home from pick up.It feels stable now even in strong cross wind where as before it had considerable sway in calm conditions.It takes an extra 2 minutes to put on(at the most) and well worth the time.I dont think We would tow without one again.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Coward springs has a natural artesian bore and restored ruins which we spent the morning exploring. The spring was a great place to clean off some dust from the previous couple of days. Coward Springs has toilets and donkey showers.In the afternoon we headed out to Bubble Blanche for a look where water bubbles out of the ground it was an awesome sight. We had the whole camgound to ourselves till late in the day, we stayed here for 2 nights. We had a couple of mice but not to bad compared to Farina.
349.jpg
The view of the suset from our camp site. Stunning!
343.jpg
Part of the restoration process
305.jpg

282.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
That might of been the rain we had at Yulara there was alot of puddles along the road the further we headed south. There was alot of rain this week also yep lucky imagine trying to clean that off :jaw: My cousin did it a few years back in the wet not by choice and it sticks to everything.

I was talking to the lady behind the counter at Cadney Roadhouse on the way south and she said the Oodnatta trk is lucky to get graded once or twice a year and the road gets quite damaged after rain.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yeah, he spent over $20 at the carwash in Alice trying to get the mud out of everything. You were very lucky.

Beaut photos:drum:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Beresford Ruins our 1st stop of the day on the way to William Creek. In the below pic you can see the remnants of the old Ghan railway. There is also an old building here to explore.
355.jpg

362.jpg

372.jpg
The Expanda is getting dirtier with more dirt k's completed
378.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
If there's to many pics shoot me a PM if not I'll keep posting:ranger:

The Mound springs is under restoration also which is a credit to the people of SA as otherwise these places of history would turn into rubble. You could easliy spend an hour or 2 exploring this site and learning about its history and what it must of been like to live here. A very hard life on the land thats for sure.
383.jpg
A very flat arid landscape surrounds the ruins
384.jpg
We were a couple of weeks to early for the brochures about the site
409.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Never too many pics mate.

By the way, whats the brown rectangle on the back of the expanda?
The perfectly shaped rectangle on the back is dust that stuck to the hard lid when we took off in the morning as it was covered in dew from the nights frost so the dust stuck.

The lid has a brace in that section and is a lot thicker than the rest of the lid so I think the cold air must kepp the fibreglass colder there, hence it stays wetter on the outside longer.

Did I make all that sound technical for the dust stuck to the wet Expanda :bounce:

This one is just for you Moto :laser:
379.jpg

Reactions: blacky

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
The perfectly shaped rectangle on the back is dust that stuck to the hard lid when we took off in the morning as it was covered in dew from the nights frost so the dust stuck.

The lid has a brace in that section and is a lot thicker than the rest of the lid so I think the cold air must kepp the fibreglass colder there, hence it stays wetter on the outside longer.

Did I make all that sound technical for the dust stuck to the wet Expanda :bounce:

This one is just for you Moto :laser:
379.jpg

Nifty new expanda brown patch decal:heh:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
After spending 2 nights at Coward Springs we headed for a night at William Creek, so it was time to head back onto the Oodnatta trk and head further north for 66km. After setting up camp at the William Creek Pub campground which takes about 5 min with the Expanda we headed off down to Halligan Bay at Lake Eyre Nth. The road in was about 60 odd ks and very corrugated in sections along with soft sand sections. It was all worth it to have a paddle in Lake Eyre Eyre which doesnt happen everyday!
We had dinner at the pub which was busy and a Friday night.
A Parks pass is required before entering
482.jpg

466.jpg

468.jpg

426.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
William Creek where the beer was cold and petrol and Diesel is $2.20plt
416.jpg