Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ok I know there is alot of pics I've posted up but its what we've been up to in our Expanda since getting it at the end of Dec.

I'll keep posting up my mods too along the way as well as any future trips away. :D

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks for all that Cruza. You sure have given it a good initiation & what a great load of pictures. I have not been down that way for nearly 50 years so you have wet the appetite. Keep them coming.

Paul
Thanks mate, we try to get out as much as possible to make the most of it.

There sure is plenty of great places to get too we are spoilt for choice.

Cheers Cruza

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Mate i never get sick of reading about your trips away:cool:

Great photos as well! I get so excited about my one coming when i see all the great trips you are doing.

Whats next on the mods list?

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks Moto!

As for the next mods I think I'll be getting under the van and start to tidy up the plumbing.

I'll also start to tidy up some wiring for preventitive matainance underneath the van while I'm there. The problem is where using it to much to get these little jobs done :rolleyes:

I bet you cant wait to get yours!!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks expanda I've been meaning to post up some pics of our Expanda,and last night I found a bit of time to share our travels so far.

Your right we are spoilt for choice but I reckon thats the beauty of living in Australia it changes so much around every corner, which makes every trip away a new adventure. Our previous Jayco was an 07 Outback Hawk which we also covered a fair bit of ground visiting different parts of Oz

The trig hitch works well with no problems hitching and unhitching and its nice and quiet to tow with ie,no tow ball banging on dirt roads etc. As for towing without the weight hitch it hasn't posed a problem but I think if it was a larger van I would use one. In the back of my Cruiser I run airbags along side a 2 1/2'' lift and it works well.

The Cruiser sits nice and level but the key is not to overfill the air bags because I found if you do the Cruiser would tend to bump steer if that makes sense. I fitted a 75mm drop hitch to keep the Expanda level as the drawbar is lower than the Hawk was.

Cheers Cruza

Also,this is great site you have too mate and thanks to Bushman letting me know about it.
Its great reading about other peoples experiences with there Expanda's.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
A Frosty Easter at Stringybark Creek Vic

Well where back from another couple of nights away in our Expanda. This trip was back upto Sringybark Creek Camground with some friends who hadn't been there before and also to do a bit more exploring as there is so much history in the area.

The nights delivered a typical high country autumn night with stars everywhere overhead and without a cloud in the sky and frost covering everything in the morning. It was the coldest night we have yet had since getting the Expanda and we were very cosy.

It gave us a good excuse to sit around the fire and reflect on how good it is to get away. Ok here are some pics from the weekend............
Our home away from home which seems to be every 2nd weekend lately if not every one :rolleyes:
408.jpg
The view from our spot for the weekend
419.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The next 2 pics of the frosted campgrounds.
429.jpg

430.jpg
The morning sun soon crested above the trees to reveal a beautiful day ahead and melt the frost away.
436.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The next group of pics are taken from Powers Lookout which is named after Harry Power the bushranger who hid out high above the King Valley from the Police. Ned Kelly was his apprentice when it came to the art of robberies. It is an amazing view over the valley below and of the surrounding mountains.Awesome.
466.jpg
From the viewing platform
454.jpg
440.jpg
The climb leading to the platform is jst as fun as taking in the view at the top
450.jpg

Reactions: blacky

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I can only post up 4 pics at a time so here are a few more
One of the 2 viewing platforms at Powers Lookout
462.jpg
A random campfire pic, the fire was a popular place to be when the sun dissappeared.
468.jpg
Another bit of exploring note the old bridge behind the Cruiser
503.jpg
I wouldnt attempt walking on this bridge LOL
506.jpg

Reactions: blacky

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Sorry :rolleyes: but this area has so much history and this is the last couple of pics
532.jpg

523.jpg

524.jpg

Thanks for looking I will post up more pics of future travels and look forward to checking out other peoples travels too!!

Cheers Cruza

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Those last few pix arouse an interest with me as my sister was married to a "Jim Cryer" who came from Victoria. Maybe a distant relative? Anyway, more great photos and glad you enjoyed your Easter weekend with many more to follow.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
That would be interesting if it was a relative. The grave site is located on a road called Mad House Rd and it is the site of the old Homestead.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Trying to pack for the run to Townsville on Thursday and it is continuous rain today and weather forcast is for the same for the next 3 days at least. Bummer!! :mad:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I know this has been posted in another thread but I thought I would up date my Expanda thread

Ok I just worked out how many km's our Expanda has done since getting it 4 days before Christmas 2010. We have towed it for 2560 km so I thought its time to have a look at the wheel bearings and check there adjustment.

The adustment was spot on which is a good start so I pulled the brake drum off to make sure there was plenty of grease in there and also to make sure the hub seal is ok and not letting any grease get onto the brakes, this was also fine.

I thought I would check these thinks out as you just never know

I took a couple of pics also for those that are interested. The grease still looked nice and clean with no discolouring and you could tell the original colour of the grease used. I still decided to repack the bearings anyway just to make sure. :rolleyes: I'm fussy :D

The tools I used, I usually use side cutters for the split pin but I couldn't find them :confused:
005.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I did the LHS 1st and it looked promising when I pulled the bearing cap off as there was evidence of clean grease and plenty of it
002.jpg
With the brake drum removed
003.jpg
I didnt get any pics of the repacking as I was up to my elbows in grease, but when I adjust the wheel bearings I usually refit the wheel to spin over the wheel to circulate any excess grease and adjust accordingly
004.jpg

The RHS was exactly the same so I wont bore you with pics but I was happy with what I found

More mods are on the way too so stay tuned :cool: