Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Our 23 night Outback Adventure

Ok I'm still in the process of uploading the photos of our most recent trip which we arrived home from late last night but here is a summary of where we went.

We spent 23 nights in the Expanda travelling from Victoria across to SA up the Oodnadatta trk out through the Painted Desert towards the NT and Alice Springs.

We covered approx just over 7,300ks and only around 900 or so of that 7000k's with the Expanda not hooked on. We only had rain on one day, with the rest pretty much typical winter outback county skies with scattered clouds. As usual it felt like everyone else was on holidays also so I dont know who was working keeping the country going :tongue:

I'll load the report up in different stages as not to bore everyone with pictures :smile: but just a warning I took plenty of them :dance:

Last edited:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ok here it goes,
Day 1, was spent travelling from home in Vic to Mildura for a 1 night at the Buronga C/P which is on the NSW side of the Murray River. Its a great clean park with very reasonable rates too. Before we left home we had a little hiccup though I'll let the below picture explain what happened :peep:
001.jpg

004.jpg
A quick call to my mate up the road a 25min of winching and I was out LOL.
003.jpg

Reactions: blacky

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Day 2, involved topping up our food supplies for the week ahead at Renmark SA.
Crossing the SA/VIC border fruit fly quarantine check point.
008.jpg
A few pics of Burra a historical town

024.jpg

026.jpg

038.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Day 3, Our third night was spent at the Flinders Ranges C/P where we have stayed on a few different trips to the Flinders, its a great little park with one of the cleanest ammenity blocks you will see !!
The Flinders in our sites
051.jpg
1st emu sighting
054.jpg

084.jpg

060.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Day 4, involved travelling from Hawker to Farina Ruins for the night and stopping at the Prarie Hotel at Parachilna for morning tea. We spent lunch over looking the Leigh Creek open cut mine site. We also stopped at some ruins on the edge of the Flinders Ranges and took a look at days gone by.
091.jpg

094.jpg

098.jpg
The view from inside the ruins, not to bad I reckon
104.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Leigh Creek open cut mine was a top spot to stop for lunch with some old mining equipment to look at and a view over the open cut. We could also see the machines working whilst there.
121.jpg

111.jpg
An information sign about the mines operation was very informative
128.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
After refuelling at Lyndhurst we headed a couple of k's up the Strezleki track and went and visited ''Talc Alf'' Its a must do when passing through to check out his sculptures made out of talc and listen to his view on life.
134.jpg

135.jpg

143-1.jpg

137.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Day 5, (night4)had us waking up at Farina Ruins campground. It was the 1st spot of quite a few that we experienced the mice plaque in the outback at the moment, yet its not as bad as it has been. As soon as the sun had finished delivering us a spectacular sunset the mice came out to play! They were not shy running up to and around us and you could hear them running between the Expndas hardlid and canvas at night. This stopped around midnight as it must have been getting to cold as we were to discover in the morning waking to a frost.
197.jpg
Our site for the night which had tables and bins provided
188.jpg
A hot shower by heating up the Donkey (hot water service) first with wood provided takes about 20-30 min
187.jpg
One of our little visitors
185.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The ruins are being restored via donations and collecting camp fees along with plenty of work done by volunters. We spent between 1 and 2 hours exploring the historic town with many ruins and buildings imagining what it would of been like living here.

Farina was 1st surveyed in 1878 it was hoped it would be a great area to grow crops but due to the lack of rainfall it didn't succeed. The town the developed to be the head of the railway and the beginning of all tracks beyond.

There is also shearers quarters available for accomodation but the campground provides flushing toilets and a shower along with tables amongst penty of shade.
170.jpg

180.jpg

164.jpg

152.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
No worries mate in the next lot of pics the Expanda doesn't look so clean, I just have to sort through which ones to post up :rolleyes: as we start to head up the Oodnatta track