Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Here is the next installment, hopefully I'm not posting up to many pics :typing: but here it goes let me know what you think and if you have any questions I'll see if I can answer them.

MMMM which way to go! Both are such iconic trips but this time its up the Oodnatta track
207.jpg
When taking the above photo I noticed we'd sprung a water leak under the Expanda so we drove into Marre for a litlle investigating
208.jpg
The culprit was a broken plastic elbow so a bit of duct tape and the leak was all fixed it was damaged by a stray rock (one of thousands) The plumbing under there is a bit exposed but we didnt loose any water. On our old Hawk I never broke any fittings so it was a little unexpected but thats all part of the adventure.
210.jpg

I'm going to build all new guards underneath the Expanda and rplace the fittings with brass ones or just bite the bullet and replumb as the is to many joins for my liking.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We had lunch at Marree and strecthed our legs after the leak was taken care of.
Our 1st siting of a camel, well sort of
217.jpg

227.jpg
Time to refuel before the real fun begins and with the water leak appearing to be all fixed we were right to go. Got to love duct tape :hail:
229.jpg

Reactions: fryzy and blacky

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The sign we had been looking foward to seeing and what was ahead for the next leg of our trip
231.jpg
After 11km travelling up the Oodnatta trk I thought I'd better recheck the water issue from earlier and that was fine but we'd sprung another leak :ohwell: This time it was a quick fix as I knew what to do LOL. After repairing it it was time for some more protection, I didnt worry earlier as the few people I'd spoken to at Marre said ''Gee thats unlucky never heard of that before'' HAHA I should of known better but we were to excited to get going.
This solved any future problems it worked well. We cut some shadecloth off the mat we sometimes use under the awning
238.jpg

240.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Something you dont see everyday. These sculptures were built by a motor mechanic there is a few of them there so you'll have to go check them out for yourselves :sorry: :tongue:
242.jpg

254.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
More good pix, Cruza. I agree that the plumbing is bloody terrible but I like your fixes and prevention.

I see your photo of Tom Cruse's old blitz wagon. I read his story and watched the old movie/documentary of his mail run from Maree to Birdsville. He really had an interesting life but an extremely hard one. Sadly, he died a couple of weeks ago, I think at 93.

Keep them coming.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Yes mate it was couple of weeks ago he really was one of the Outbacks true iconic legends.

There was a story also about him in either the Alice Springs paper or Coober Pedy I cant remember which one.

When I got to Coward Springs I ended up tieing the drag Flaps up as the crown in the road was quite high and I think this may also have been causing the rocks to flick up under the Expanda. Particularily through the creek beds and countless dips, its funny how how this van works differently than the Hawk did. I built the same deflector for that and never had any issues but I wouldn't change a thing as its all about doing it and seeing what works.

I knew the plumbing was a bit exposed but I ran out of time getting it fully prepped, it was no biggie though as we didn't lose any water.

Cheers Cruza

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
No not a conscious choice but I find the Cruiser doesn't really need them as I have never had any swaying issues and I also have airbags in the rear of the Cruiser.

If I had any dramas I would fit them but so far I dont see the need for them. This latest trip was a good test though as we were fairly loaded. Although if I had a lighter tow vehicle I probably would though as the ball weight is 165kg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
On the way to Coward Springs where we stayed for 2 nights we stopped at Lake Eyre South lookout and read the information boards about the Lake and a bit about its history
269.jpg
Our 1st view of Lake Eyre South was spectacular as it was getting late in the day. We didn't go down to the Lake as we planned on going out to Halligan Bay at Lake Eyre Nth
275.jpg
A local who was very curious
258.jpg
Not far from Coward Springs which has a themal spring to enjoy, note the dust plume off the oncoming vehicle it was very dry with no rain recorded for the previous month of our trip
277.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The Cruiser can go up to 350kg

EDIT sorry mate towball weight is 155kg :rolleyes:

There was one section off the trip where I had to drive a steep pinch that climbed straight up as in the Expanda was level and the Cruiser pointing skywards and when I was doing it I wondered if having the WDH would have affected me doing that

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The Cruiser can go up to 350kg

EDIT sorry mate towball weight is 155kg :rolleyes:

There was one section off the trip where I had to drive a steep pinch that climbed straight up as in the Expanda was level and the Cruiser pointing skywards and when I was doing it I wondered if having the WDH would have affected me doing that

You raise a good point cruza, I have watched a heap of Gall boys stuff and they are always taking the WDH off when on trails. The one time they didn't on Fraser the van and hitch ripped the tow bar of the back of the Prado!

I don't run a WDH with the Pajero, I haven't found the need yet. Perhaps that will change with a new heavier van?

I don't run a WDH with the Pajero either I haven't had any issues yet. I have

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks Jim it was funny we were at the Algebuckina Bridge which is an old bridge that the old Ghan use to cross. It is/was the longest single spanning bridge in SA.

The turn off said 300m and we did about 100m I reckon and said ''Gee that was a short 300m'' we turned left it was an uneven single vehicle track then after about another 150m it went through a sharp dip then straight up. My wife jumped out made sure nothing bottomed out and up I went with out a hitch (pardon the pun). I was impressed how easily it did it I also put the Cruiser in low range to do it.

Needless to say after the climb we saw were the other cars and camper trailers were parked at the bottom :rockon: the Cruiser didn't wheel spin or anything either.
Unfortunatley no pics of the climb as we wanted to do it safely. We headed back out to the Oodnatta trk the other way. Now it wasnt the most extreme climb but I thought it was impressive for the Expanda :happy:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Jim it was funny we were at the Algebuckina Bridge which is an old bridge that the old Ghan use to cross. It is/was the longest single spanning bridge in SA.

The turn off said 300m and we did about 100m I reckon and said ''Gee that was a short 300m'' we turned left it was an uneven single vehicle track then after about another 150m it went through a sharp dip then straight up. My wife jumped out made sure nothing bottomed out and up I went with out a hitch (pardon the pun). I was impressed how easily it did it I also put the Cruiser in low range to do it.

Needless to say after the climb we saw were the other cars and camper trailers were parked at the bottom :rockon: the Cruiser didn't wheel spin or anything either.
Unfortunatley no pics of the climb as we wanted to do it safely. We headed back out to the Oodnatta trk the other. Now it wasnt the most extreme climb but I thought it was impressive for the Expanda :happy:

LOL. Do you run an off road hitch? Is that another option I need to add?

Shame you didn't get a picture but I know what you mean, your so focused on doing it right. There is great shot of Matty4 taking his expanda across a river with the Pajero, it looks awesome and just spurs me on to get on with it!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I don't run a WDH with the Pajero, I haven't found the need yet. Perhaps that will change with a new heavier van?

I don't run a WDH with the Pajero either I haven't had any issues yet. I have

Mitsi recommend the use of WDH for the Pajero on ball weights over 135kg, when we first picked the van up dealer said, "she right dont need one" he was forgetting the van was empty as was the car, told him the recommend it for those weights, so they wacked one on. I once towed with out it over short distance, the difference was amazing to the point of scary. might be different now I also have airbags.

sorry for the Hijack CD :embarassed: :focus:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
LOL. Do you run an off road hitch? Is that another option I need to add?

Shame you didn't get a picture but I know what you mean, your so focused on doing it right. There is great shot of Matty4 taking his expanda across a river with the Pajero, it looks awesome and just spurs me on to get on with it!
Yes mate I have a tregg coupling on the front which I'm very hapy with.

I know the shot your referring to its a beauty. I have a river cossing pic also which I took along the Oodnatta trk it will be posted up shortly in my trip report when I upload some more pics :photo:

His shot is awesome!