Are the innerspring Mattresses comfortable?

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
We've tried numerous things - firstly the multi zone foam which wasn't that great - we then bought a cushion style overlay from deals direct - getting better but I found that the smaller section does seem to be softer (and slightly lower) than the large section of mattress which seems to make you really feel the zipper. This weekend i cut down the multizone foam, covering only the small section of the mattress and the zipper and then putting the cushion overlay back on. It does appear to make the zipper feel less noticeable. Will be away for 2 weeks over easter and see how this works....! :bolt:

Kate File

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The mattress is seriously uncomfortable if there are two in the bed and you are sleeping on one half. My husband and I forgo that stupid foot of softer mattress and huge seam and sleep squished up against the window. How could jayco think anyone could sleep on a seam that big in the middle of their back. We are thinking of buying a pice of foam to go on top. We have had our expanda 18 months and love everything else about it.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day Kate,

My two cents worth - I found innerspring uncomfortable too. Went the std foam mattress with a foam topper. Seems ok for me now.. Probably should ask the wifie though.

Good luck in your search

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I think this can be easily fixed.

As mentioned earlier, I think by turning the mattress over so that the zipper is on the bottom would remove the seam from being immediately below your back and noticeable as we sleep. I also think that placing about a 1 inch thick strip of high density foam from Clarke Rubber underneath the small part of the mattress would bring the height up even with the other side of the mattress. Then, if we then place one of those egg cup foam covers over the top I`m sure even a princess wouldn`t be able to tel the difference.

I haven`t done it yet, but I`m confident it will work, and will do it when I have a spare 100 bux.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Just a thought, if you flip the mattress it will have an opening where the matress folds and this might open up when laying on it.

I don`t know? I think a good mattress protector may prevent that from happening. As I said earlier, one of those foam egg cup mattress covers should do the trick. I`ve also got a woollen underlay from our last queensize mattress at home.

I`ll turn the mattress over when I`m back home, place the sheepskin mattress cover over it and test it out.

Although I still think I`ll need to buy the 1 inch thick compressed foam to bring the height of the small mattress section up to the same height as the rest.

Will let you know the results when back home.

Roh

Oct 26, 2010
Mornington Peninsula VIC
Hey there,
We have the innerspring, matress in our van. we grabbed a thick matress protecter to go over the innerspring matress. We have been living in our van for over a year and have had no problems with the seam area. I sleep on that bit and dont find it annoying at all. I do agree with Bushman with curtains being too long, they annoy you if you lay them on thge bed, and they annoy you if you lay them on the seat of the dinette. Might have to get the needle and thread on those ones

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Thanks guys. Unfortunately it's just as i suspected. I was hoping you'd all say somethinhg like "No worries, just get a mattress topper and it's happy days!" I'm hoping we can get a foam mattress for the queen end, and an innerspring for the double, but not sure if they even offer foam any more.
If i spend $40K on a van, i want to be able to sleep in it too...

Had our first weekend in the new van. We have the inner springs. I got special zoned foam underlays from target then covered these with our mattress protectors which we brought over from the Hawk. These underlays have a little bit of cushioning (not too much - just Kmart ones). Both my husband and I found the inner springs with this topper combination extremely comforable- so much better than the foam and inner spring mattress in the Hawk (we had one of each either end in the Hawk). I was so impressed that I have no qualms about doing a 12 month Aust trip sleeping on this mattress. Admittedly both my husband and I are not tall and each of us weighs under 70kg - so maybe this helps?.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Had our first weekend in the new van. We have the inner springs. I got special zoned foam underlays from target then covered these with our mattress protectors which we brought over from the Hawk. These underlays have a little bit of cushioning (not too much - just Kmart ones). Both my husband and I found the inner springs with this topper combination extremely comforable- so much better than the foam and inner spring mattress in the Hawk (we had one of each either end in the Hawk). I was so impressed that I have no qualms about doing a 12 month Aust trip sleeping on this mattress. Admittedly both my husband and I are not tall and each of us weighs under 70kg - so maybe this helps?.

I really appreciate your 'research' Busybusymum!
Which one of you was on the seam? Are you saying that it was not a problem?
Great feedback. Thanks one and all for your input.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi People.

I just realised something.

If I turn my mattress over so that the seam is at the bottom, the mattress won't be able to fold when I close the lid to pack up the van. This is because the seam needs to fold at the top to be able to fold over properly.

I`ll still get a mattress cover and pack underneath the small mattress to raise the height, but turning the mattress over is not really an easy option.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
I really appreciate your 'research' Busybusymum!
Which one of you was on the seam? Are you saying that it was not a problem?
Great feedback. Thanks one and all for your input.

I was the one on the seam - hubby on the far side - I was the one closest to get out of bed for the kids (and toilet!). I did not even feel the seam - definately not a problem in our Easter trip. Our two oldest gilrs the other end also said their bed was very comfy?. The only issue is - have to take the overlays off to fold up the van - but at least it is a great nights sleep. I'll get out and take a photo of the overlay we use.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
2006_03142012Easter0156.JPG 2006_03142012Easter0153.JPG 2006_03142012Easter0154.JPG 2006_03142012Easter0155.JPG
Thought I would put some photos in of the underlay - hope they work. First photo shows the mattress protector info - it has a slight pillow topping but not too much - just a reasonably priced one from KMart. The second shows the van mattress parents end in the 17.52. I (BBM) sleep on the edge easiest to get out to the kids and therefore partially over the zip. The next photo shows the foam underlay I got from Target - zoned for head body and feet (normally priced $70-$80 - but I got half price in recent sales. I put it bubbly side down on the mattress and then put the mattress protector (Tontine) over the top - as shown in the 4th photo. Have found this all very comfortable. Then put on the sheets and doona We got a double set up for the kids bed and a queen size set up for our bed (although it is smaller than a queen size and we cut the foam down to size). We had an extremely comfortable Easter

Reactions: relgate

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
OK, I'm starting to think it's not too bad!
Cant wait for the inevitable discussion with the wife as to who sleeps on the seem. She will want no seem but close to toilet. What are the chances that I'll have the turn the mattress 180 degrees so I get the seem and furthest from the toilet!!! :violin:

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
OK, I'm starting to think it's not too bad!
Cant wait for the inevitable discussion with the wife as to who sleeps on the seem. She will want no seem but close to toilet. What are the chances that I'll have the turn the mattress 180 degrees so I get the seem and furthest from the toilet!!! :violin:
- wont work when you do the fold up though!

Being a woman and having 4 kids - access to the toilet was pretty high on the priority list for me - also guess who wants mum in the night when they wake up ( dad does not hear them - or want to hear them?:boink:). Relgate - You can tell her I don't feel the seam at all - and I am usually pretty fussy , no sore back and a cosy sleep. Actually over the Easter weekend at Mitta when it was somewhat chilly outside the other side was actually colder - hubby said the first night he felt the cold creeping in under the doona from the outside - so subsequent nights we rolled a sleeping bag and lay along the length which cut out the cold - but in bed I did not feel the cold at all - (usually I am the first to feel it)

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Jeez!

I just spent two nights away in the expanda. Great weekend but that mattress! It`s terrible. I thought I`d be ok, but I found it painfully uncomfortable. I slept on the seam side.

Not only is the seam very uncomfortable to lay on, but the two individual mattress parts are different heights. They`re great vans, but this folding innerspring mattress in my opinion is a real flop. Jayco should have designed the folding mattress with the seam in the middle instead of this ridiculous little quarter/ three quarter mattress. I either had to squish the mrs and both sleep on the larger bit, or try and squish myself onto the little quarter piece.

I think I`ll send an email to Jayco and let them know that this is probably the only one thing I dislike about their expandas.

I`ll be looking into packing underneath the small part and covering over the top to try and get rid of the uncomfortable failure of a mattress.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi BBM.

Looking at your pictures it appears that your small section of mattress is bigger than mine. Mine is around 50cm in width and the remaining mattress portion is around 110cm.

Your looks like nearly half in the photo, or is it just the pic?