Are the innerspring Mattresses comfortable?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Have the inner spring matresses changed at all from the 2008 or 2009 or 2010 models to the 2012 models?

I have seen an older mattress, and as mentioned by Coastrunner, it actually needs some padding under the smaller section to make it level. BBM, you have a 2012 17.56 yes? Do you find the smaller section needs padding under to make it level? Anyone else got an opinion?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
- wont work when you do the fold up though!

Being a woman and having 4 kids - access to the toilet was pretty high on the priority list for me - also guess who wants mum in the night when they wake up ( dad does not hear them - or want to hear them?:boink:). Relgate - You can tell her I don't feel the seam at all - and I am usually pretty fussy , no sore back and a cosy sleep. Actually over the Easter weekend at Mitta when it was somewhat chilly outside the other side was actually colder - hubby said the first night he felt the cold creeping in under the doona from the outside - so subsequent nights we rolled a sleeping bag and lay along the length which cut out the cold - but in bed I did not feel the cold at all - (usually I am the first to feel it)

BBM, I showed my wife the photos. She was very impressed that you went to the trouble of doing that for us! Thanks again.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi BBM.

Looking at your pictures it appears that your small section of mattress is bigger than mine. Mine is around 50cm in width and the remaining mattress portion is around 110cm.

Your looks like nearly half in the photo, or is it just the pic?

Hi Coastrunner had mine out cleaning it after the holiday so I thought I'd chuck a tape measure over the beds to compare on the Back Bed it is 13cm 94cm and 44cm total 151cm and on the front bed it's 13cm 77cm and 54cm total of 144cm
Cheers Grant

Reactions: Ozwitch

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
I have seen an older mattress, and as mentioned by Coastrunner, it actually needs some padding under the smaller section to make it level. BBM, you have a 2012 17.56 yes? Do you find the smaller section needs padding under to make it level? Anyone else got an opinion?

We have the 2012 model and mattresses. Hubby sleeps on the thinner section and he finds it fine I sleep on the thicker third and over the seam to the other thinner section and do not notice any differrence in level of the mattress. The thinner section (2/3 of the bed) is the same height as the thicker section (1/3 of the bed) - does not need any padding underneath to level out. The kids bed end is slightly different dimensions with the thicker bit versus thinner bit - but both matresses when folded out are level - no padding underneath required. Hope this helps

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
We have actually removed the smallest section to reduce the chance of wet mattresses and put the underlay on as well. We have only had one night so far and that was fine

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
how do you remove the smaller section - is it only by cutting it off, no zips or anything? (never looked, and currently in for a service/warranty so still can't look)

Expanda 12.37

Jan 22, 2012
Bendigo
Forgot to take some photos of the new mattress when we were away for a week in May but did so when away for the long weekend. Have now had enough nights sleeping on the new mattress to know that it has been worth the effort (and money) to replace the three-piece/two thicknesses mattress that Jayco supplied when we bought the Expanda.

The bed area in the 12.37 is now completely flat over the entire area and the new two-piece mattress which is joined down the centre means no one is sleeping over a join/zipper or across different thicknesses/compressions regions of mattress

Photos below show the new mattress and the extra carpentery to level the bed area (+ make deeper storage area under the bed.

View attachment 8123View attachment 8124View attachment 8125View attachment 8126

Don't know why Jayco don't build the Expandas this way right from the start.

Expanda 12.37

Jan 22, 2012
Bendigo
Forgot to take some photos of the new mattress when we were away for a week in May but did so when away for the long weekend. Have now had enough nights sleeping on the new mattress to know that it has been worth the effort (and money) to replace the three-piece/two thicknesses mattress that Jayco supplied when we bought the Expanda.

The bed area in the 12.37 is now completely flat over the entire area and the new two-piece mattress which is joined down the centre means no one is sleeping over a join/zipper or across different thicknesses/compressions regions of mattress

Photos below show the new mattress and the extra carpentery to level the bed area (+ make deeper storage area under the bed.

IMG_5115.jpg IMG_5116.jpg IMG_5117.jpg IMG_5118.jpg

Don't know why Jayco don't build the Expandas this way right from the start.

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
That looks like a very good setup. How does it go in storage and folding up the bed end, is it any more difficult than the original mattres? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price range did you pay for the mattress? If it is a reasonable cost, I would be intersted in doing this myself.

Thanks

Jason

Expanda 12.37

Jan 22, 2012
Bendigo
Jason, to add more info from my yesterday's post, the storing and folding up of the bed is just as easy and straightforward as it was with the original inner spring mattress. The new mattress when folded fills the entire space behind the dining seat as it is thicker than the original, but obviously not as high when it is folded (only 75cm) compared to the middle part of the old mattress which was 90cm high when it was folded up.

We purchased the new mattress from BedsDirect Mattress Factory (www.bedsdirect.com.au) in Melbourne, no doubt there are other suppliers as well. Also got prices from Adelaide and Queensland but shipment costs were too high. Beds Direct make three different types (quality) of caravan mattress. We chose the best/most expensive/thickest/(most comfortable?) as we plan to be sleeping on the mattress for many nights in the next few years. Prices, I think, were in the range of $450 to $700 (plus extra for us for delivery from Melbourne) for the three different mattresses they make.

David

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
Thanks David,

I think we actually spoke to this company at the Caufiled caravan show. The price seems reasonable too, I was expecting it to be well over $1000. Might be something I have to look into.

Jason

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks David. That might be very useful information if the Jayco mattresse proves to be too uncomfortable for us.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
We got our 17.56-2 with the inner spring mattresses standard. I thought I had won lotto, but I'm not really impressed with these mattresses.
If I would have known that these were uncomfortable, I would have insisted on having the foam type mattress.

I don't even know if it is an option now.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hey Mick,

The issue we have is that the foam has gone quite soft where it is used all the time! Ie common sleeping positions, wifey says its knocking her back around.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Nice job David :first:, as we intend to spend a bit of time in our van it looks like a good option. is there a particular name for the mattress or would the company know what i was talking about when i rang them.

Cheers Colin.