Are the innerspring Mattresses comfortable?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi There
We went out to our local dealer today as we are getting very near to ordering. (17.56.2).
We had a good look at all the bits and pieces etc, and a good lie down on the beds. We tried a 2011 sponge bed in a 17 and also a 16 with an innerspring mattress. Heres the thing: The sponge was OK, a little hard for my liking but atleast I couldnt feel the fold seam. the innerspring was great on the side with no seam, but awful on the side with the fold seam. am I missing something? It seemed to me that it will be almost imposible to sleep on this side of the bed. not only was the seam itself uncomfortable, but one side of the mattress seemd firmer than the other.
I have heard that people put a thin mattress topper on, but surely this can not mask the problem with the innerspring.
Anyone have an innerspring and have it worked out?

I was so excited that the innersprings are now standard, but now I have second thoughts...

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
My wife and I have innerspring mattresses in our van - BUT our children are grown up and have fled the coop! So we have a bed each and find them very comfortable, but I don't know that it would be so comfortable (for the reason you have given) if we had to share the one bed all night!

One of those egg shell foam pieces from Clark rubber would make a difference - we used that in our off road camper over a foam mattress and it was really good.

Hope that helps......

Bill

Bill

Reactions: relgate

Nuts

Jun 17, 2011
Calliope Qld
we have the inner springs in our 16.49. i sleep on the seam all the time. not very comfortable. ended up getting the eggshell topper and much better to sleep on, but you can still feel it. i wish jayco would design the beds so the seam was down the middle, i dont understand why anyone thought it was a good idea. we got our van 2nd hand so never had the choice of foam. im still happy enough with the bed though, it bothers me more that the beds arent 100mm longer as im over 6ft tall. hope this helps.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I thought the innerspring would be good after have the foam in camper, how wrong was I, not to bad if in the middle like said above, but I too sleep on the seam. We also removed the 3rd peace (skinny bit) as it as it made the mattress a really tight fit and pushed the canvas out a lot, however this has resulted the the main seam zipper comming undone all the time during the night.

the other issue I wish Jayco would rectify is the gap between the end of the matress and the hard wall at the end off the buffet/dinette where the curtains hang, I always have to stuff another pillow in there or cloths stop my pillow sliding in there.

And while I'm on a roll, why the hell do they make those damn bed end curtains so long, they get in the way of the mattress, they only need to sit just above it .

Off my soap box now :embarassed:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks guys. Unfortunately it's just as i suspected. I was hoping you'd all say somethinhg like "No worries, just get a mattress topper and it's happy days!" I'm hoping we can get a foam mattress for the queen end, and an innerspring for the double, but not sure if they even offer foam any more.
If i spend $40K on a van, i want to be able to sleep in it too...

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We have foam at one end and an inner spring at the other, we have just come back from another 3 night trip and the inner spring is going and I'm calling Jayco this week to try and chase up a foam.

We are over the inner spring and all the springs seemed to have collopsed too :rant:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
All the above makes me glad I wasn't offered a choice and just had the foam mattress fitted. I sleep very comfortably but, like Bushman, have removed the "skinny bit" which allows easier closing without affecting comfort. :thumb:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We just got back from the camping show in melbourne and now that all the expandas have innerspring mattresses we had a look .
They seem very thin and bottom out so we realy prefer our foam ones on our 2011. just our personal choice

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Have to agree...

Sorry relgate, have to agree with the rest of the posts.

The innerspring we bought fit ok (little small for our older 2006 16.49-2) but I had a back ache in the morning from being on top of the seam since it is very stiff around the edges. Now the eldest daughter has it up her end and we are back on the foam.

We were thinking of using a thin inner spring mattress that we pulled out from the bed end to travel instead of a folding type and just getting some foam to make up the thicker bits. Will look at it after the next couple of trips...

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I agree on the sentiments, i had the innerspring and found it very unconformtable on our first van on the second I stayed with the foam mattress.

I have heard others have got mattresses from these guys

http://www.madetomeasuremattresses.com.au/mattresses/caravan/

A
nd they are very good quality.

May pay to ask Jayco to leave them out and order some custom ones??

I believe they are $$$$ but well worth it for a good nights sleep.

For me in the discovery I don't have a seam so can't complain :).....

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
Hi I am from Melbourne and got one made for my Flamingo from beds direct and its really really comfortable. When I look at ordering the expander I think I will be asking to leave out the mattresses and spend it on new ones from them.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
We have a 12 one ender. Foam on first trip not good if you have a dicky shoulder like me, dense which is good in the long term but hard. We also bought a double size egg foam from Clarkes and trimed a bit. GREAT result, now just like home.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We have innersprings at both ends. At one end there is just a one year old sleeping on it and he's sleeping until 7.30 or so while we're camping so mustn't bother him. The other half sleeps where the seam is and he's pretty fussy and hasn't complained. I put a quilted mattress topper on from day one so that may have helped. I prefer the innerspring to the foam. We usually remove the smaller skinny section as it always seems to rain on the weekends we go away and it keeps the doona's away from the canvas better.

TweedTravellers

Jan 27, 2012
Gold Coast (NSW side)
We have the inner springs on our current 17.56-2/1 caravan but we put on a custom made latex mattress topper from Zentai Living in Byron Bay. Cost a few hundred dollars but we feel it was money well spent, as we both get a good night sleep

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
We have an 800gsm padded topper on our innerspring.I sleep on the join and dont notice it at all,would not go back to foam.ps bed still folds up with topper and fitted sheet on but we have also remove the small section of matteress.

Reactions: bootie66

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I`ve just spent the first nights in my expanda and found the innerspring mattress strange. Sleeping on the seam is weird. I found that I ended up sleeping on the small bit beside the seam and slept ok. It is the only negative point I have discovered so far. Pity the seam couldn`t be further over. Anyway, i`ll take some of your advice and buy a matress egg cup foam cover and hope that`ll help.

Still love my new Expanda. Such a nice change from the old trusty 1987 model Viscount Ultralite.

Expanda 12.37

Jan 22, 2012
Bendigo
I would also have to agree with many of the comments about the inner-spring mattress in Jayco Expandas. When we ordered our Expanda 12.37 at the Melbourne Caravan Show in 2010 we paid extra to have an inner-spring mattress rather than the standard foam mattress. As mentioned the zipper jioning the two larger pieces of the mattress is in a most unsuitable location for the comfort of the person sleeping on the inner side of the bed. My partner sleeps on this side so she does have to climb over someone to get out of bed.

In the last 18 months we have tried a number of remedies to increase the comfort level to an acceptable standard. Yes the egg-shell overlays help but do not solve the problem of sleeping over the mattress join. Also tried high-density foam yoga-mat to try and bridge the join but this also was not successful.

We have have now gone for a very expensive new purpose made double mattress which is made in two pieces with joined with a zipper down the middle so that neither person is inconvenienced by attempting to sleep over a join in the mattress. The company (in Melbourne) we got to make the mattress manufactures to a number of qualities Comfort (120mm deep), Plush (140mm deep) and Ultimate (180mm deep) [includes a thick pillow-top], we have ordered the new mattress as the Ultimate (obviously the most expensive) on the basis that sleeping comfort for the next few years in the Expanda is a major consideration. We plan to spend a great deal of time using the Expanda over the coming years.

The new mattress, ordered last month, paid for yesterday and to be delivered tomorrow will require some carpentry work to be done on the Expanda to raise the level of the storage cupboards under the bed so that we have a uniform flat surface to accommodate the new (uniformly 180mm deep) mattress rather than the rather unusual stepped arrangement with the original mattress in three pieces, one of which is thicker than the other two. Having looked at the original mattress I think that the poor design stems from the fact that it is composed of a normal single mattress (180cm x 90cm) [now on a bed inside our house], plus two add-on pieces to try and make a double bed for the end bed in the Expanda.

I intend to raise the top of the storage cupboard under the bed by re-using the original doors and raise them verically about 10cm, together with some new framing which will sit above the original cupboard to form a level surface for the new mattress. And provide a deeper storage cupboard under the bed.

We are away in the Expanda for a long weekend trip this coming weekend so will perhaps reply again to the thread after we return once we have had a few nights sleeping on the new mattress. This is not a cheap solution to the problem but if it resulting in perfect sleeping comfort it will be worth the money.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Ummm, Turn the matress upside down when setting up, Abra cadadra, no more zip :)

Btw - we just ordered an expanda and after testing them out and reading this thread, we asked if we could have foam instead and they have refused, explaining that they no longer even stock them. Oh well, guess I'll simply turn it upside down and chuck a thin topper on.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Ummm, Turn the matress upside down when setting up, Abra cadadra, no more zip :).

Sounds like it's worth a try! Has anyone else done this? Unfortunately we noticed that it's not just the zip but the matresses felt like different firmnesses (is that a word?) One of the dealers I spoke to said that the 2012 innersprings were better than previous models, I suspect it was just sales pitch, but sectretly hoping he was right.
We have another dealer offering to swap with a foam one that is on the yard. Sounds like a good idea to me!

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We got the inner spring mattresses- have yet to try them - but have put on a multizone foam underlay from Target for about $40 each end - (half price this week - until tommorrow - normally $80). Over this I have put a cushion style underlay and have tried lying on it and it seems comfortable enough - however have not done a full night or series of nights sleeps. We originally had the foam matress in the Hawk - but it gave my hubby a very sore back so we ended up paying for an innerspring. Anything has got to be better than a two man tent with foam bedroll!!!!!!!