Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
These are the ones I had made up.

image.jpg

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Push on studs.
instead of fly screens they have privacy screens sewn into them and the clear plastic windows unzip and roll up to allow the breeze through.

I used ADP caravan services in Kilsyth.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
very impressed, so it travels like the privacy screen, you just unhook the bottom and clip it up to the underside of the Lid?
were thinking about a Vic trip at Xmas, might have to look them up. I imagine they would need to measure off the van given the stud positions probably need to be measure pretty carefully.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
It saddens me to see that the Kakadu people would stoop as low to steal somebody else's hard work and research. The guys at holiday annexes put a lot of time and effort into perfecting their bed end flys. If people support the theft of intellectual property, then we might as well be buying Chinese crap. Support the true owners of this technology. I am not affiliated with them, I simply hate to see people have their ideas blatantly plagiarized. Please people, spend with your conscience.

Couldn't agree more Expandaman, and after seeing Kakadu's version first hand, they look like a cheap Chinese knock off too!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Kakadu Annexes (aka Allseasons Vinyl) now make the same style - sail track mounted - water proof bed flies as Holiday Annexes in Vinyl… they cost around the same at $900.

Apparently they have only started making them a few months back - so don’t have a good range of photos to show em off… these are the two photos they sent me.

Decisions, decisions… help me decide... (in advance – thanks but I have reviewed many self-made options and I will go for a set of professionally made ones...).

I’m leaning towards the Hol/A’s because the canvas looks neat, bit more colourful and have good reviews on here.

Has anyone used both vinyl and canvas bed flies or annexes on their van - i.e. each material type says one is cooler / reflects heat better and more waterproof than the other. Like realy - is there that much diffence in materials that makes a difference in in the real world? I just want to keep nice and dry :)

View attachment 14036 View attachment 14037

I looked at these at the Rosehill caravan show and was not impressed with the fit of this product, some grinding of the fiberglass bed ends was needed to make them fit, as the sail track is fastened to the underside of the lid, not the outer edge as the holiday annex ones are.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Made some up from some bunnings clear plastic for about $60. Just punched some holes and cut to size. One sheet was big enough to do both ends (7mx5m) so even had some left over. Touch an hour to hole punch and cut to size and last big wet it left everything nice and dry and also insulates the van heaps too.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
It saddens me to see that the Kakadu people would stoop as low to steal somebody else's hard work and research. The guys at holiday annexes put a lot of time and effort into perfecting their bed end flys. If people support the theft of intellectual property, then we might as well be buying Chinese crap. Support the true owners of this technology. I am not affiliated with them, I simply hate to see people have their ideas blatantly plagiarized. Please people, spend with your conscience.

G'day Expandaman. While I agree with the sentiment, I would like to refer you to and old posting from Jan 2011 on the forum which was long before we had heard of Holiday Annexes. In particular, post #12.

This is not in anyway meant to denigrate the products of either company who both make fine products.

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I think it's a bit rough to put the boot into Kakadu for stealing somebody else's hard work. I'm sure Holiday Annexes didn't invent caravan annexes ,yet they now make them. I bet they got a lot of their ideas from other suppliers products.
I have had Kakadu products on my last two vans and have found them to be a very high quality product and have never had any issues with them.
I currently have their basic vinyl bed fly on my van and it fit's like a glove, is light and doesn't weigh down the hard lid and is completely water proof. I was offered their top of the range bed fly in August last year(this is not a new product) but declined when told the price ($400)
I couldn't see the need to spend so much money on bed fly's when all I wanted to do was keep the bed dry. I would rather save the $$ and spend it on other goodies for the van.
As said before both company's make great products and I hope they both continue to do so

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I agree with jdove, I had alot of my ideas for my expanda before finding out that other people are doing it. In particular I had the idea to make clear plastic windows for the windows in the roof skirt and was surprised that no one was making these, turns out through this site I found that a lady does make them, mine are better as you can open them to let air through, hers you have to go outside and take off and put the flywire back on, when she eventually sees, mine she'll add the zipper to hers, if I see a better way to do things I'll use it. Canvas work isn't rocket science, most ideas are born from customers ideas and then the stitcher makes it work, we all use each others ideas and then improve on it, which is good for everyone.
I took my van in to get a valuation for a trade in to a jayco dealer and they commented on the windows, said they sold them without zips foe $200 each:o nearly 6 times my price, they will be putting zips in from now on , good luck to them. I'll be doing contract work for them now, I'll probably be making them.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Good points being posted and bottom line if a product isn't patented then its open to reproduction by anyone and everyone. Who's to say who created the idea first.
My main point with Kakadu's bed fly's would be the materials, quality and fit in comparison to Holiday Annexes is poor. And that's fine, yes they work the same, but don't go charging customers the same $900 a pair for a product that is inferior. Adjust your price accordingly.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
very impressed, so it travels like the privacy screen, you just unhook the bottom and clip it up to the underside of the Lid?
were thinking about a Vic trip at Xmas, might have to look them up. I imagine they would need to measure off the van given the stud positions probably need to be measure pretty carefully.
Actually I unclip these ones. Mainly because on the 18 there is much less room when the lid is closed already. My old 16 never had this issue. The original idea was to travel with them on the underside of the lid. And yes to measuring off the van.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Gee your a bit harsh with the comments about Kakadu i,d be surprised if Holiday made the first bed fly. Holiday seem to be making a brilliant product and are marketing it well by getting involved in this forum. At the end of the day if you are paying around the same price you know where most people are going to go. Theres nothing wrong with supporting the local bloke like crustt or the like either as long as you are happy with what you are getting. This forum is all about sharing ideas, thoughts and opinions so we can all enjoy our expandas.

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
I think it's a bit rough to put the boot into Kakadu for stealing somebody else's hard work. I'm sure Holiday Annexes didn't invent caravan annexes ,yet they now make them. I bet they got a lot of their ideas from other suppliers products.
I have had Kakadu products on my last two vans and have found them to be a very high quality product and have never had any issues with them.
I currently have their basic vinyl bed fly on my van and it fit's like a glove, is light and doesn't weigh down the hard lid and is completely water proof. I was offered their top of the range bed fly in August last year(this is not a new product) but declined when told the price ($400)
I couldn't see the need to spend so much money on bed fly's when all I wanted to do was keep the bed dry. I would rather save the $$ and spend it on other goodies for the van.
As said before both company's make great products and I hope they both continue to do so

I suppose imitation is the best form of flattery.......<EDITED BY MOD>.......They went out of their way to make it look the same. That to me shows they don't really have an ideas man on board their staff. At least make it look different. This is not <EDITED BY MOD> CHINA. This is Australia and that is not how we do it here.

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
G'day Expandaman. While I agree with the sentiment, I would like to refer you to and old posting from Jan 2011 on the forum which was long before we had heard of Holiday Annexes. In particular, post #12.

This is not in anyway meant to denigrate the products of either company who both make fine products.

Yea, I've seen those screens around the parks. They are essentially a fancy privacy screen (Only neater looking). They don't keep you dry in real rain. When I say real rain, I'm talking 6-10 inches in a day. As for making screens out of silver tarps, that is what people have been doing for years without any serious proprietary products to fill the void. A lot of stitching for a moderate product. These days we have choices as discussed in these forums. Thanks for taking interest in my comments. Sometimes I get a bit passionate about what "I" believe is the right thing to do.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I have been watching this thread with interest and..................

Keep it on topic please!!!!

Can we please keep this thread on track with the original question as asked by clynto

And respect others purchases as you would like yours respected.

Original post below

Hi all. We are only new to the expanda family only having our 17.56-1 for about 6 months now. We are camping for the first time in light rain and both bed's are very wet sheets, mattress etc. Is this normal. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Regards Clynt

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
clynto I had the same problems as you with our two vans and after throwing away many wet pillows and suffering from expanda related cold feet I solved the problem by getting a Discovery :)!!!

Now with the formalities out of the way I would suggest as others have suggested -

1) Professional bed flys, most people seem to like the Holiday Annexes ones but Kakadu does them as well

2) There is a few people who have bought the plastic from bunnings and made them up themselves. I like these ones in particular as they seem to run a fair way down the van and they also integrate with the existing bed flys if you have them -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/clear-plastic-bed-end-attachments.1429/

Gadget did a little write up on one as well using basic materials and doesn't require modding existing bed flies -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/wet-canvas-wet-bed.1443/#post-15340

Let us know what you decide?

Reactions: Tayla