Bed end privacy screen flys etc

Tazzydevil

Nov 29, 2010
Hi all first time on this forum and a new to caravan owning with my 2006 outback expanda... Please I am after help desperatly. This van came with home made bed end flys/privacy screens, we live in tassie and well it rains a lot, all the time. These flys did not do their job and we got very wet!!! Can someone please post some photos for me showing how these attach to the van it's self??? The fly attached to the van etc!!! Do they clip to the van som how? Photos would be nice to see, as ours has no clips or anything. Please help!!!just purchased some new alpine jayco expanda flys from eBay these to need clips, please what do I need to do!?!? Thank you so much.

Tazzydevil

Nov 29, 2010
Hi, can anyone email, PM or post attached to this link a photo of how the ben end flys for a soft top not hard lid end jayco expanda looks like PLEASE? are there clips to hold the fly in place where it meets the van??? or is it straped to the van some how? i kow you need the 3 poles per fly to keep it up etc more interested in how its attached to the van?>?? i have the track to slide them into place just the bits below that i need to know depseratly PLEASE SOMEONE??? thanks.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
i have the track to slide them into place just the bits below that i need to know depseratly PLEASE SOMEONE??? thanks.

G'day Tazzydevil. Do you mean you have a sail track fixed to the van? If so, is there a rope sewn into the fly where it meets the van which would slide into the sail track? Could you put some photos of the van above the bed and the screen to give us an idea of what the home made screen looks like.

Regards
Paul

Tazzydevil

Nov 29, 2010
Hey there Thanks for the reply, yes the track is there and yes both the home made version bed end fly and the alpine commercially made version I have all hade the rope sewn in the to slide through the sail track... The part I am just wondering is Down the side of the van do they clip to the van? As in like a press stud or something? I have heard of this and I want to take mine in for this to be added but I am not sure where to add them and what to use studs wise, so was asking for a photo maybe someone out there had this on their van and I could use as a guide, thnx for your reply. Please anyone with this type of set up please respond!!! Thank you.

TASSIE

Feb 18, 2011
Hi, new to caravaning.....waitng on jayco 14.44-3.....can u tell me if you can get privacy screen for the external bed end...?....Thanks...Van is 2010 with hard lid..

ozwrangler

Dec 9, 2011
Vincentia, NSW
Sorry, no photo, but we had bed end flys on our previous Jayco camper trailer- same setup.
Ours were by Coast to Coast brand that roll up into a bag that stays on sail track.
No press studs, only poles and guy ropes to set it up.

For hard lid, no pole setup, just the screen attached to lid.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Tassie and welcome to the forum. Here are some pix of our 14-44-3 bed ends.

Expanda bed privacy screen.jpg DSCN4143.jpg

These are the screens supplied by Jayco. They are an optional extra but you can usually convince a dealer to include fitment of them .

Canvas privacy screen 3.jpg Canvas privacy screen 2.jpg

These are canvas ones I had made up to clip onto the same place as the screen ones and these save getting the bed ends wet in bad weather. They cost $160 from a local canvas worker but if you go down this path, take the van to them and have them fit properly (a couple of my studs are slightly out of line making it difficult to clip them all).

Good luck

Paul

Reactions: Ozwitch

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Sounds like they just slap the press studs wherever they feel free to do Chatrock. Mine are the same from factory. I would love to rip all the studs out & replace em in the right spots. Also I would love to get my wet weather bed end covers & replace em with sail track. That would wor a hell of alot better than press studs. Alpine canvas in Ringwood came to the Jayco Factory & fitted them while I geting a handover but then said they are ready while I was in the middle of talking with the fella handing over the van. They done they same & slapped em in wherever they thought. So much for quality of fit out! I could & will do better somehow down the track. Only problem being how to seal the holes in the screw holes where random studs have been placed in the fibreglass ? Give me a remedy to fix this & game on.

ozwrangler

Dec 9, 2011
Vincentia, NSW
Any luck Tassie Devil?

I saw this "heavy duty" type when looking for bed end flys for our "'soft top" Jayco.
Not an Expanda, but the campers have similar setup with sailtrack, pull-out beds etc.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jayco-Sw...ravans_RVs&hash=item3cc10de1d6#ht_1325wt_1270

Few people at CP we stayed last had their Expanda bed end flys setup with 3 poles (instead of 2).
Husband thought it better as less likely to contact canvas underneath and let water in.

Jayco Canberra quoted over $480 for 1!

matt

Aug 20, 2011
Brisvegas
Privacy screen

Hi, new to caravaning.....waitng on jayco 14.44-3.....can u tell me if you can get privacy screen for the external bed end...?....Thanks...Van is 2010 with hard lid..

Hi Tassie, love your state.

We ordered the kakadu bed fly for ours (14.44.4). All Seasons are based on the Gold Coast in Qld but deliver anywhere. Its 90 percent shade cloth , quality stitching, uv filterd all that stuff, kept us very dry, the privacy is fantastic best i've seen and used, we paid an extra $100 on top of the flimsy poor quality one from jayco. worth every cent, even the dealer was impressed

it stayed on in 50k/hr gusts, so was happy :)

It uses very press studs and stayputs and comes with quality bungee straps.

My wife made an additional waterproof screen, copied the design of the privacy screen, we used an old silver tarp, cut out all the old grommets and sewed it together, works a treat. but fidly sewing. I watched of course.... sorry no pics

Best bet go a decent privacy screen, not the one from jayco, consider one for cold weather canvas as well around 300 I was quoted. Good luck, Matt

Attachments

• jayco yamba 2012.jpg
    jayco yamba 2012.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 567

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi Doggy, the wet weather bed ends are not Jayco options. The Jayco privacy screens fit fine but I took the screen to the canvas maker and he just copied it in canvas. The problem is the mesh can stretch and did, so the press studs ended up a few mm out of line. Hence they will not all do up but it can be fixed by just removing the press stud & sewing another piece of canvas over the hole then putting in another stud in the correct position.

Another job to do.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Thinking of some wet weather screens for mine, as some here will atest I tend to take rain with me, no you can't blame me for the flood I haven't been anywhere. Anyway back to the point I'd still like to let to light in so may see if I can get some made with clear PVC insert.
On the subject of clear inserts does anyone have them fiited to the pop-top windows to let light in keep rain and draft out, the one under the awning doesn't matter so much as it always covered we tend to leave it open all the time .

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Bushman the problem with clear PVC is it doesnt come in a roll wide enough to split (2m i think and you need 2.4m) so it gets very costly. i used black PVC tautliner material.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thinking of some wet weather screens for mine, as some here will atest I tend to take rain with me, no you can't blame me for the flood I haven't been anywhere. Anyway back to the point I'd still like to let to light in so may see if I can get some made with clear PVC insert.
On the subject of clear inserts does anyone have them fiited to the pop-top windows to let light in keep rain and draft out, the one under the awning doesn't matter so much as it always covered we tend to leave it open all the time .
Moto Moto has the clear ones for the pop top mate , get in contact with him I'm thinking about getting some too