wet beds when raining

clynto

Jun 28, 2012
Sunshine coast QLD
Thanks for those links expanda they both look great. At this stage I think we will go with the holiday one's. We are just tossing up weather to get them to do a full annex as well. I will post the final outcome when we decide. Thanks to everyone once again

Reactions: cruza driver

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
IMAG0634.jpg IMAG0664 (1).jpgIMAG0671.jpgI made this bed fly end for my retro expanda, the plastic is zipped on the corners so you can roll it up and it does not need a privacy screen as the windows have been replaced with shadecloth.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Hey crustt not to sidetrack but have you got a picture of how the extra awning attaches to the annex?
Hi Expanda, I used Keder rope track and the screen shown which is Vistaweave can be zipped on and off. It was a bit of a brain fade actually, I should have done it the opposite and had the keder insert on the screen and zip the awning on, so then I just need to sew a zip onto the striped annex and I can then add the awning to either, not a big job but it will open up alot more options.

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
We had the same problem with water coming through the mesh privacy screen onto the canvas bed ends in heavy rain - we didn't like the idea of sail tracks and canvas etc that some of the other solutions involved so we drew up a plan of what we wanted and had it made by ADP Canvas in Melbourne. Its lightweight, 600 denier fully waterproof polyester with zip windows and mesh screens, zippered gusset ends so we get plenty of air circulation in hotter tropical weather. We can open it all up for hot sunny weather so its doesn't make you feel closed in. The new screen, being waterproof polyester is light, not heavy like canvas, and just press studs on the original press studs used for the mesh privacy screen. It simply folds up away inside the bed end hard lid - just like the privacy screen - no hassles. Will try to upload photos for you. We have tested it out a couple of times - works perfectly - and the service from ADP was just fantastic - we did all the discussions by email and phone from the ACT, then booked in and had it measured and done in one day - got a weekend in Melbourne as a bonus.

This suits us, its easy and makes Expandavanning even more enjoyable - Guess you have to work out what is best for your needs.
ACTravellers.
Junee - Expanda Waterproof bed end privacy screen open - web file- June 2013.jpg

Junee - Expanda Waterproof bed end gussett closed web file - June 2013.jpg

Junee - Expanda Waterproof bed end privacy screen rear - web file - June 2013.jpg

Junee - Expanda Waterproof bed end privacy window and rear open web file - June 2013.jpg

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We had the same problem with water coming through the mesh privacy screen onto the canvas bed ends in heavy rain - we didn't like the idea of sail tracks and canvas etc that some of the other solutions involved so we drew up a plan of what we wanted and had it made by ADP Canvas in Melbourne. Its lightweight, 600 denier fully waterproof polyester with zip windows and mesh screens, zippered gusset ends so we get plenty of air circulation in hotter tropical weather. We can open it all up for hot sunny weather so its doesn't make you feel closed in. The new screen, being waterproof polyester is light, not heavy like canvas, and just press studs on the original press studs used for the mesh privacy screen. It simply folds up away inside the bed end hard lid - just like the privacy screen - no hassles. Will try to upload photos for you. We have tested it out a couple of times - works perfectly - and the service from ADP was just fantastic - we did all the discussions by email and phone from the ACT, then booked in and had it measured and done in one day - got a weekend in Melbourne as a bonus.

This suits us, its easy and makes Expandavanning even more enjoyable - Guess you have to work out what is best for your needs.
ACTravellers.

That looks like a nifty solution. What is the ball park for cost?

Reactions: PennyLane

hebrian1

May 21, 2011
Hi all. We are only new to the expanda family only having our 17.56-1 for about 6 months now. We are camping for the first time in light rain and both bed's are very wet sheets, mattress etc. Is this normal. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Regards Clynt

We found the best way was to buy some plastic off a roll at Spotlight and wrap it around the outside of the canvas using industrial strength velco on both the under the lid and on the plastic , as in picture. It has worked well the last 18 months.

hebrian1

May 21, 2011
We found the best way was to buy some plastic off a roll at Spotlight and wrap it around the outside of the canvas using industrial strength velco on both the under the lid and on the plastic , as in picture. It has worked well the last 18 months.

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
That looks like a nifty solution. What is the ball park for cost?
You should check with ADP about the cost as it would depend on your exact requirement but it's fair to say it is a long way under the cost of any of those with sail tracks.:) ACTraveller

PRADO KEV

Feb 22, 2012
Mornington Peninsula
It saddens me to see that the Kakadu people would stoop as low to steal somebody else's hard work and research. The guys at holiday annexes put a lot of time and effort into perfecting their bed end flys. If people support the theft of intellectual property, then we might as well be buying Chinese crap. Support the true owners of this technology. I am not affiliated with them, I simply hate to see people have their ideas blatantly plagiarized. Please people, spend with your conscience.

PRADO KEV

Feb 22, 2012
Mornington Peninsula
Hi Clynto
After many months of research on Expandas Downunder I became a bit paranoid about the mattress and canvas getting wet so I contacted Prestige Jayco in Geelong and asked to supply and fit an old fashion bed end fly that is used on camper trailers. They modified the design slightly for the Expanda. I returned from a 3 week trip to northern NSW over Easter and to say the least it was wet. The bed end fly worked a treat. Not once was there water ingress, even to the point that I would leave the canvas unzipped during monsoonal down pours and still no water. The cost was $250.00 plus $99.00 to fit. in hindsight I could have fitted it myself. I am currenly selling the van so look on the classifieds under "Prado Kev" to see a picture of the bed end fly. It really works!!!!!

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
After reading a few different threads on here I thought I would have ago at doing the clear plastic as I didn't have the budget for manufactured ones. I used the .75mm thick ($21.33lm x 9mtrs 4.5mtrs per end) from Bunnings and fitted them to the lid using press studs (aisle 8 Bunnings). If I had my time over again I would use the .50mm($14.45lm) not because of price, but as it would be a little more flexible and make it easier to fit. I saw on one of the other threads that they used eyelets and stretchy cord. I did the rear one first with the press studs and it took me almost three hours to fit it, but don't take to much notice of that, I'm a good vinyl floor layer, but I wouldn't make money as an upholsterer. So I thought I would try the front one with the eyelets and stretchy cord and it was definitely quicker to put up, just over an hour, but I prefer the finish of the press studs. So I'm actually going to change that to press studs as well.
It was a worthwhile project and after a 4 degree celius night, they were worth their weight in heat on the weekend.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria

ACTravellers.
View attachment 14454

View attachment 14455

View attachment 14456

View attachment 14457
yep, I have had a few things made by ADP also.
The weather proof bed ends, wind skirt and a single wall at one end of the awning mainly to break the wind also.
But my father engaged them to install completely new larger windows into his cruisader van. Now he sits at the table and the entire wall beside the table is just window.

Anyway, I digress.... Here are my bed ends ADP did.
image.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I've been tossing up which way to go now for ages and after reading posts and seeing other members vans at the June meet I've decided to go with the Bunnings plastic and will press stud on. I might also get creative and make some windows which velcro on the 3 sides.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Neat job AzHaych. Have you considered moving your spare wheel to top of frame? Could be another mod for your list. This is how I did it. I'm yet to get around to modifying the gas bottle holders so that they open to the outside
(easier for Mrs XF to swap gas bottles with bed end down). It's a job for when/if the rain ever stops. Also plan to replace copper pigtails with braided lines.

392785253.958288.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: AzHaych

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Neat job AzHaych. Have you considered moving your spare wheel to top of frame? Could be another mod for your list. This is how I did it. I'm yet to get around to modifying the gas bottle holders so that they open to the outside
(easier for Mrs XF to swap gas bottles with bed end down). It's a job for when/if the rain ever stops. Also plan to replace copper pigtails with braided lines.

View attachment 14512
[/quote]
From the pic it looks like your gas bottle holders will simply unbolt and rotate around 180 degrees.:)

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks Soaring. Tried that. Still requires lifting bottles up and out. I actually want to get bottles out horizontally from under bed end when propped for six weeks at Christmas. (I'm basically lazy, and MrsXF has a bad back). Going to cut off the outside semi circle and add a hinge and hasp to the ends and re-weld so it will be a simple matter of unlocking a padlock and swinging open. The clasp will provide the tensioning as it does now for whatever bottles I'm using. (Green ones or the standards).

Reactions: 17triton and Burnsy

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Thanks Soaring. Tried that. Still requires lifting bottles up and out. I actually want to get bottles out horizontally from under bed end when propped for six weeks at Christmas. (I'm basically lazy, and MrsXF has a bad back). Going to cut off the outside semi circle and add a hinge and hasp to the ends and re-weld so it will be a simple matter of unlocking a padlock and swinging open. The clasp will provide the tensioning as it does now for whatever bottles I'm using. (Green ones or the standards).
Good thinking Xpandafan !