wet beds when raining

clynto

Jun 28, 2012
Sunshine coast QLD
Hi all. We are only new to the expanda family only having our 17.56-1 for about 6 months now. We are camping for the first time in light rain and both bed's are very wet sheets, mattress etc. Is this normal. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Regards Clynt

Bronwyn

May 16, 2013
Hi there, we have a 2011 1756-2OB and had the same problem,we had canvas bed flies made through kakadu annexes for approx $1000 and this has eliminated the problem all together. They attaché a sail track to the bed lids and the canvas flies slide into them. We have just ordered a 2013 18.57-9OB and have also ordered the bed flies, kakadu now make vinyl bed flies so we have ordered them too. Hope this helps! I think the bed flies are worth their weight in gold. It's not that the bed ends leak it's just the nature of canvas unfortunately. They also provide extra insulation and increase darkness of the van

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Clynto
Good to see another sunshine coaster on the forum. I too have the vinyl bed flies from Kakadu awnings on the gold coast. Mine fit using the existing press studs on the hard lid, I have both the mesh and vinyl flies and just use what ever is required at the time. They cost about $170 when I got mine last October.If you want to check mine out just send me a private message and we can organise a meet,I'm down in kawana area.
Cheers
Dave

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Clynt,
yep, agree with Bronwyn, its the nature of the canvas in the end. Anything touching the canvas, be it Sheets or Mattress will result in moisture comming through. We have experienced the same, we are also considering the Canvas Privacy end covers, but i am also working on getting some water proof material similar to the privacy screens which may come in a little cheaper. That will be a project later in the year. The school hols comming up we are heading to Uluru, so not expecting any rain. September will be Inskip Pt so will like to have something in place by then.

Regards
HM

PS, if you haven't voted yet, when you get a chance vote for Qld, we are catching the blues.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/where-are-you-from.162/page-6

clynto

Jun 28, 2012
Sunshine coast QLD
Thanks so much everyone. Looks like a trip to kakadu. Stan it is not a leak as such I guess it is the canvas drawing water through when bedding is touching. Thanks again I will into some flys. Regards Clynt

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
I should also say welcome to the forum Clynt and Bronwyn. Its a bit of fun in this forum along with plenty of good ideas we all learn something, great folk as well. look forward to hearing about your adventures guys.

regards
Jas

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Hi Clynto
Good to see another sunshine coaster on the forum. I too have the vinyl bed flies from Kakadu awnings on the gold coast. Mine fit using the existing press studs on the hard lid, I have both the mesh and vinyl flies and just use what ever is required at the time. They cost about $170 when I got mine last October.If you want to check mine out just send me a private message and we can organise a meet,I'm down in kawana area.
Cheers
Dave

any links to where these are on the kakadu site?

have you got any picks of the vinyl ones?

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
We have a 17.56-2 and have had it in heavy driving rain. As you say canvas will draw water through if anything touches it when wet. We are careful to keep away from it when raining and all ok. We learnt this with our Eagle camper (& a year years army too).

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
welcome to the forum Clynt. As a temporary measure, if it is really bad and you are still camping, then you could duck down to the camping store and pick up a blue tarp you can wrap around the end.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
If you have the small 10cm mattress piece, remove it when it's raining and try and keep all bedding away from the canvas. Much harder in winter which is why we had heavy duty vinyl ends made for our van

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Here are a couple of shots of the Kakadu vinyl bed fly's, please note they are not fully clipped into place as I had only fitted them to get a photo last year. I don't think kakadu mention them on their website, just give them a ring and they will help you out with colours, price etc. They sent mine to my home by courier the next day.
I also have the mesh covers and just use what ever is required as they only take about 1 minute to fit.
In the past I have also cut up strips of coreflut (the stuff for sale signs are made of) and tucked this between the bedding and the canvas, just cut the strip about 200mm higher than the bedding and you won't have any damp bedding, I did this on my old dove camper and it worked a treat. Just store it under the bed when not in use.
Hope this help's.

Expand 14.jpgExpand 13.jpg

clynto

Jun 28, 2012
Sunshine coast QLD
A big thanks everyone who commented on my post. You all had some great ideas. I contacted kakadu today and think I will go with that option. Ps great site and great response thanks Clynt

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
Holiday Anexxes make a light weight canvas solution. Check out there web site "http://www.holidayannexes.com.au/about". We have these on our van (I fitted them in about 1 1/2 hours.) I didn't want a PVC solution as you can get mold on your canvas if you have persistent rain for a week and they are heavy and can pull your lid down. Holiday Annexes flys are very high quality and have roll up windows in the 3 sides. They look like a factory fitted item when installed. They were $990 delivered for the 2 x ends. Our beds have not been wet since we fitted these, and we've been in some serious QLD rain. The owners are very pleasant to deal with. If you go with these guys, request bags for the flys to store in as ours did not come with any. When we rang and mentioned this, they promptly sent us 2 bags for storage. True after sales service. The owner is who you deal with.

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
Here are a couple of shots of the Kakadu vinyl bed fly's, please note they are not fully clipped into place as I had only fitted them to get a photo last year. I don't think kakadu mention them on their website, just give them a ring and they will help you out with colours, price etc. They sent mine to my home by courier the next day.
I also have the mesh covers and just use what ever is required as they only take about 1 minute to fit.
In the past I have also cut up strips of coreflut (the stuff for sale signs are made of) and tucked this between the bedding and the canvas, just cut the strip about 200mm higher than the bedding and you won't have any damp bedding, I did this on my old dove camper and it worked a treat. Just store it under the bed when not in use.
Hope this help's.

View attachment 13920View attachment 13919
Holiday Annexes have a fantastic product that is a bit more refined than the Kakadu version. Check it out http://www.holidayannexes.com.au/about

Ours are fantastic. 2 x Ends - $990 delivered. ($990 worth of dry nights sleeping with the rain hitting the roof.)

We did the stuffing of damp course around our beds as well. All that did was postpone the inevitable. With the slide in flys, the canvas itself stays completely dry so kids can touch it as much as they like and not fear moisture seepage.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Kakadu Annexes (aka Allseasons Vinyl) now make the same style - sail track mounted - water proof bed flies as Holiday Annexes in Vinyl… they cost around the same at $900.

Apparently they have only started making them a few months back - so don’t have a good range of photos to show em off… these are the two photos they sent me.

Decisions, decisions… help me decide... (in advance – thanks but I have reviewed many self-made options and I will go for a set of professionally made ones...).

I’m leaning towards the Hol/A’s because the canvas looks neat, bit more colourful and have good reviews on here.

Has anyone used both vinyl and canvas bed flies or annexes on their van - i.e. each material type says one is cooler / reflects heat better and more waterproof than the other. Like realy - is there that much diffence in materials that makes a difference in in the real world? I just want to keep nice and dry :)

Kakadu Annexes (1).jpg Kakadu Annexes (2).jpg

clynto

Jun 28, 2012
Sunshine coast QLD
Thanks Expandaman I think you have changed mind. Holiday annexes photos look really good. I will contact them next week.
Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Ligedy, We have the Holiday annexes bed fly's, and wouldn't be without them. They are quality and really do look factory fitted.
We saw the Kakadu bed fly's at the Newcastle caravan show back in February but thought the fit didn't look as neat and taught as Holiday Annexes. Materials also looked cheaper, less impressive. So that swayed our vote and we went with Holiday Annexes, and couldn't be happier with our decision!

Reactions: Ligedy

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
Kakadu Annexes (aka Allseasons Vinyl) now make the same style - sail track mounted - water proof bed flies as Holiday Annexes in Vinyl… they cost around the same at $900.

Apparently they have only started making them a few months back - so don’t have a good range of photos to show em off… these are the two photos they sent me.

Decisions, decisions… help me decide... (in advance – thanks but I have reviewed many self-made options and I will go for a set of professionally made ones...).

I’m leaning towards the Hol/A’s because the canvas looks neat, bit more colourful and have good reviews on here.

Has anyone used both vinyl and canvas bed flies or annexes on their van - i.e. each material type says one is cooler / reflects heat better and more waterproof than the other. Like realy - is there that much diffence in materials that makes a difference in in the real world? I just want to keep nice and dry :)

View attachment 14036 View attachment 14037

It saddens me to see that the Kakadu people would stoop as low to steal somebody else's hard work and research. The guys at holiday annexes put a lot of time and effort into perfecting their bed end flys. If people support the theft of intellectual property, then we might as well be buying Chinese crap. Support the true owners of this technology. I am not affiliated with them, I simply hate to see people have their ideas blatantly plagiarized. Please people, spend with your conscience.

Reactions: Lara