Mick n Janes 17.56OB writeoff rebuild

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
Might be an abstract method of obtaining an Expanda but I enjoy challenges and get pride from repairing, rebuilding or making things.sometimes $$ has something to do with it.

Anyway, we got ourselves a repairable writeoff 12/13 17.56-2 OB from auction.
In December 14 we started repairing it in our driveway much to our neighbours disgust probably.

I'm not sure how it was damaged but it seems the roof has come up and slammed back down buckling the walls folding in all the cabinets, bending the draw bar. The safety chains are two links different in length and the retaining clip on the tow hitch is missing. I suspect it was towed by a car in a head on. The van physically had no impact. Though hard to believe from the pics.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 320

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
awesome sauce guys

great job.........

how long did it take to take it from wrecked to good.......?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
What a cool and awesome thread! Did you have any van building experience prior to this? Obviously got access to a pretty handy workshop there by the looks of it! :)

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
What a cool and awesome thread! Did you have any van building experience prior to this? Obviously got access to a pretty handy workshop there by the looks of it! :)
Not really, I did buy an eagle pop top with slight damage that had a bent chassis which for fun I removed the alloy crinkle skin and replaced with flat composite sheet.
But saying that I'm a bit of a jack of all trades type. Mechanic, with a cert 3 in boatbuilding for the fiberglass repairs to the nose cone. Repaired a number of written off cars over my lifetime, not for profit but for personal use.

Work in management now of a concrete pumping company. We have a large workshop with some highly skilled welders to weld up the drawbar for me.
We have a truck spray booth where I painted the nose cone. I am a reasonable spray painter from my damaged car repairing experience..

I wasn't going to discuss cost, but it's bound to come up. Van cost me $3500 $1500 shipping back from Townsville. Owes me $10,500 all up purchased repaired and registered.

I will tell you one thing I learnt. The roof on that thing must weigh 200kg with the gear on it. With out the metal hinge arms that thing is highly unstable and outa control. We had 6 blokes lifting it trying to clip on struts. It's fair to say it near ended up upside down on the lawn twice. Had 6 attempts over a month to get it on. If you ever break one of those hinge arms.. RUN.. Hahahahha

Last edited:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Great effort Mick!!! What a awesome feeling that first trip will be when you can sit back and admire the top job you have done!:yo: :clap2:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
must admit when I saw that first pic I asked myself "why bother"? However you now have a van a for the fun times and adventures ahead,
A sterling effort on your part and an awesome job, it's a credit to you, thanks for sharing the build. :first:

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
I was looking at the first couple of photos and thought to myself what the hell would you do with that but I must admit you've done a great job.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Man, looking at that first picture my first thought was just 'No way' :o but what a terrific job you have done and in such a short time, a lot less than having to wait for Jayco to build one. :D

Reactions: Cheyne78

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Not really, I did buy an eagle pop top with slight damage that had a bent chassis which for fun I removed the alloy crinkle skin and replaced with flat composite sheet.
But saying that I'm a bit of a jack of all trades type. Mechanic, with a cert 3 in boatbuilding for the fiberglass repairs to the nose cone. Repaired a number of written off cars over my lifetime, not for profit but for personal use.

Work in management now of a concrete pumping company. We have a large workshop with some highly skilled welders to weld up the drawbar for me.
We have a truck spray booth where I painted the nose cone. I am a reasonable spray painter from my damaged car repairing experience..

I wasn't going to discuss cost, but it's bound to come up. Van cost me $3500 $1500 shipping back from Townsville. Owes me $10,500 all up purchased repaired and registered.

I will tell you one thing I learnt. The roof on that thing must weigh 200kg with the gear on it. With ought the metal hinge arms that thing is highly unstable and outa control. We had 6 blokes lifting it trying to clip on struts. It's fair to say it near ended up upside down on the lawn twice. Had 6 attempts over a month to get it on. If you ever break one of those hinge arms.. RUN.. Hahahahha

I think you may have a few more talents than you let on

the planning to start with would have been enough for me to think not possible - and not in the time frame you have accomplished it

if I was wearing a hat, I would lift it in salute to you Sir & your good nature wife...........

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
I think you may have a few more talents than you let on

the planning to start with would have been enough for me to think not possible - and not in the time frame you have accomplished it

if I was wearing a hat, I would lift it in salute to you Sir & your good nature wife...........

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
Very nice job mate, are you planning on keeping the van?
Thanks all for the generous words. Yes I will keep it. I am happy as I think I actually fixed about 30 Jayco budget build issues, like the addition of vertical alloy supports in the wall/frame for one.

I think there was a few nights where I dreamt I was repairing the van. Glad it's done now.

It's totally done apart from no window yet on the right side. Camec have no stock and will be some months away.

Would you believe I ordered a door frame from Camec. They had to make it. I placed the order on Jan 12th. 4 weeks later sent the wrong one. They ordered another to be made on Feb 9. Feb 24 another arrives now it's a square door frame. What the hell!!!! They order another to be made. March 13 comes I get cranky as they keep saying for weeks that it should be here and yet still no frame, so I go back and pick back up the first one from Jan that was the right shape though too big, end up cutting it down and made it fit. What a terrible service