Mick n Janes 17.56OB writeoff rebuild

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Mate all i can say is WOW. That first pic i also wondered what the hell, then to see it finished well just amazing. Go and enjoy it, take a before and after photo with you and when people ask be extremely proud about it cause u can.

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Fantastic job there mate, you ought to be proud. I'm surprised by the aluminium wall frame, or lack of, I always imagined there being more framing, as I'm a bit apprehensive towards fitting speakers, hatches, etc.

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
Considering I went and pre-purchased 8x 6m lengths of 19x19 alloy SHS only to use half of them. They are purely relying on the 2 x 3mm sheets of ply for strength.

The alloy is around the outside so you have something solid to screw extrusions and nose cones to.

I was told by StryoMax (composite fiberglass foam sheet manufacturer) that the Jayco method was not very structural. The foam used is not high density construction grade but merely polystyrene for insulation.
There was only one vertical support in the frame. The rest of the wall all polystyrene

This is what the high density foam looks like in comparison
image.jpg

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on pulling off a huge effort, bet you can't wait to finally use it.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@1756mick ... you Sir are a god damn genius. This extraordinary result from a pile of what I would have seen as junk, weighed up against Jayco, with their endless inventory of brand new parts ... and Jayco still can't compete with @1756mick, his pile of junk and his front lawn factory.

I tip my ample hat to you Sir.

Reactions: davemc

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Considering I went and pre-purchased 8x 6m lengths of 19x19 alloy SHS only to use half of them. They are purely relying on the 2 x 3mm sheets of ply for strength.

The alloy is around the outside so you have something solid to screw extrusions and nose cones to.

I was told by StryoMax (composite fiberglass foam sheet manufacturer) that the Jayco method was not very structural. The foam used is not high density construction grade but merely polystyrene for insulation.
There was only one vertical support in the frame. The rest of the wall all polystyrene

This is what the high density foam looks like in comparison
View attachment 31089

Interesting to know, will bare that in mind. So I guess the foam is virtually the same in packaging for appliances, furniture etc.

Reactions: 1756mick

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
To get registered it needs a standard Qld roadworthy with gas certificate, then a visit to WOVI inspection centre. This is where they remove the repairable write off status. This is purely to inspect it and ensure that you have repaired the original item and not stolen one and put the numbers from the crashed one on it. Need to keep all receipts, photos etc. Then that's it. oh WOVI fee is $330.

Reactions: cruza driver

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
What a remarkable transformation @1756mick....well done mate!
In Nsw a van that's been written off can never be registered again....different states, different laws.
So did you make new walls or are they Jayco? I assume the bed lid, roof ect is Jayco?

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
What a remarkable transformation @1756mick....well done mate!
In Nsw a van that's been written off can never be registered again....different states, different laws.
So did you make new walls or are they Jayco? I assume the bed lid, roof ect is Jayco?
Hi burnsy not 100% about nsw. My last van was from Sydney and was repairable. That was 2010 though.
Here's one I found now that has a repairable status http://www.manheim.com.au/damaged-v...-2015-atm-1-408kg?referringPage=SearchResults.

But it does say Qld. So really QLD is blessed unlike the other states..

I replaced the walls right side completely. Left side only the front 25%.
Roof was not bent just looked it, for the walls weren't supporting the 200kg load. The nose cone fiberglass was snapped in 6 places. I glassed it back up, bogged it, primed and 2k paint.. Hard lids, canvas was fine, a few touch ups here and there. A few of the internal cabinet panels I replaced or repaired, they come apart easy as.
Replaced the roof alloy extrusion, as per photos on my lawn.. Ex jayco only. Door frame outer ex Camec. Right window still 2 months away but I can live without it for the moment. $400 window and no stock Camec.

Ok here's my parts list: ( from memory)

Awning
Awning arms
Fiberglass skin 2mm x 8 lineal metres
6 sheets 3 mm ply
5 sheets 2.7mm polyester white internal ply
5 sheets 19mm polystyrene sheets.. Hahaha they cost $15 all up.. How do they make money?
Door outer frame
Roof extrusion
Fiberglass mat, resin, bog, primer paint.
Heaps of white sika about 6 sausages, and one tube black.
Laminex sheet to replace bench tops.
3 sheets 12mm marine ply
19mm alloy SHS 8 lengths x 8'metres
25mm as above 1 length
Body extrusions outer sections and mid one length only.
0.9mm checker plate powder coated black. Replaced all lower pieces.
3 sheets crappy jayco 12mm paper laminated ply. This is the cabinet material. Paper laminated really?? True quality.... NOT!!!
Handful of screws pop rivets, glues for applying the sheets etc.
150x50x3mm duragal for draw bar
Front hatches
Spray on deadener for nose cone lower.
A handful of other small junky clips brackets etc.
2 gas struts
power inlet sockets.
New AGM battery
Gas bottle brackets and reg.
3 cartons of beer, 2 bottles of Jim beam, 2 arguments with the missus, sunburnt 10 times, 5 alloy shavings in my foot and a mild case of welding flash. Oh and accidently unplugging the deep freezer for a lead to run the grinder on and forgetting to plug it back in... That was not a good experience.
WOVi fee
Roadworthy
Registration
Insurance

Camping In 4 weeks

Last edited:

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
@1756mick = Sensational!
Ever thought of going into caravan repair business?

Hmmm!, I may know where your'e heading!;):)
Sorry didn't really answer that one.
I remade the walls my self on the van. There is s couple vids in the jayco factory showing the walls made on their side on a bench on YouTube. I just remade the layers. StryoMax told me how to do it. Each layer is glued to each other. Pretty basic really. When I dismantled it the polystyrene is what gave way first anyway. Thus the weak point. The front and rear nose cones and the roof extrusion on top of the walls is really the only true solid structure apart from the chassis.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I suppose it is adequate, for what it is to do
but
if they over engineered it with more strength, we would all be whining about the weight of our Vans,..........