Dave and Sarah's Starcraft 17.58-1 OB

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Burnsy they fixed it when we picked up I think they used a Tap and re did it. The thread looks ok.. As said I can put it on without the jockey wheel and it screws in nicely. its when the wheel is on I keep feeling its cross threaded so back off and on and off.. you get the drift.
So not sure if its the fact the hole was re done and not 100% now.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
@Burnsy they fixed it when we picked up I think they used a Tap and re did it. The thread looks ok.. As said I can put it on without the jockey wheel and it screws in nicely. its when the wheel is on I keep feeling its cross threaded so back off and on and off.. you get the drift.
So not sure if its the fact the hole was re done and not 100% now.
Doesn't sound right to me Dave, I'd tell them to replace it if it was me, after they tapped it you may only have half the thread left.

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
thanks guys regarding the jockey wheel no they mentioned nothing to us at hand over just checked with Sarah. I wrote a list of points to remember while we went. Makes perfect sense.
Probably missed as she could not undo as cross threaded hence the pole for leverage. They then spent 20+ minutes fixing it

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
Look wise happy with it although still think its looks weird no windows on right had side now they removed the kitchen one. Had someone ask why no windows there, said was one now its gone.

Great looking van! Am getting excited about getting mine now! only 5 more months...

BTW do you know the travel height? We have the same in-roof air-con as you - am wondering what that adds to the travel height. Not sure it will fit under our carport (I had assumed it would not, but am crossing my fingers!).

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@timbo2002 not 100% sure without a ladder.. Seems 2350 from roof to ground when I did a quick measure the other day for another forum member. 2425 is from the Jayco website. Kids sick so did not have time on weekend to get up there.
Hope to if I have time during the week.

Here is a roof picture
img_4669-jpg.23039

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Dave appreciate you throwing up the compliance plate here and on the other post. Tbh if I was you I'd blank out the vin? Just me being me maybe but that doesn't need to be shared mate

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Dave appreciate you throwing up the compliance plate here and on the other post. Tbh if I was you I'd blank out the vin? Just me being me maybe but that doesn't need to be shared mate
Thanks Jimmy I done that although when it uploaded it used the original.. Did not check the upload as still working online at work for some strange and stupid reason.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Davemc, can I bother you to take some measurements for me ? Can you measure the dinette ? Need to measure the floor between the 2 seats, and also measure between the 2backrests, for possible dropping the table down and sitting the porta cot up there, we are considering a 17.58 as well but we need to find out where our little girl (18 months) can sleep. She's in a cot and wondering if we can possibly fit a porta cot (or something) in. Whilst she'll will probably be in a bed eventually which is why we like the bunks but we are yet to decide if we want to try for a second. Any help would we appreciated.

Cheers Phil

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@Fabulous Ok seats 38 high 102 wide and 142 to cushions
Our table did not drop down into gap
Table itself 98x72 width is 60 for where it should go.
Remember wheel arch is there so floor space is 60*70.
As the width is 60 and table 72 why it does not sit correctly and they cut us a price of wood to fit

Depends if you want dinette convertor. You could sit cot on the seats put something on there to protect foam?

The other thing is you could make a front to fit in bottom bunk if your handy a gate would work. We thought that to in prison twins in :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Ok got up ladder
@timbo2002 and @MarkGroote as said 235cm to top. Antenna 11-12cm (total 246~) Air cond 23-24 cm's (total 259~) hope that helps.
Did the solar panel edges mod like others
IMG_4856.jpg

Added rubber to side of step from Clark Rubber makes it harder to slide back in so not 100% I leave it. Left the step mat from bunnings not fixed until we know we want it. Will leave in door when traveling. Need to cut length of the back if we keep.

IMG_4857.jpg

As our ground was not level and I rather not use ramps at home brought some sleepers. 50+75 gave me the height I wanted
Did double width which means we do not have to be exact. Off set them so means a 75mm and 50mm
step on way up.
IMG_4853.JPG
Have not fixed the reverse camera.. We heading out :(

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks Dave. You've done well. Seems like you are measuring everything for everyone ! Not sure the pace is going to do what I want. To clarify if we had a dinette coverter, do the cushions come off or are they stuck down ? Might have to build a gate type arrangement, that wouldn't be too difficult.

On a separate note, was the wind up antenna higher than the roof hatch ?

Again, thanks for your help.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Wind up just a little under hatch.
Yes cushions come off did not think the middle convertor one looks the same as they others little Velcro under them.
If you get the convertor the seats are flat and no lip on edge.

Yes a cage I have seen done maybe find a gate that fit? Or DIY

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
Thanks for that. Is 10cm too high for my carport - d'oh! Was always thinking I'd have to store it offsite - maybe even on the street? Really appreciate your help - you are certainly doing a lot of work to your van! BTW what are the solar panel edge mods?

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
What about letting out tyres to sneak in?
Solar panel with a caravan cover the sharp edges could rip.
Hence corner protectors
http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/safety-corners.html

Yes - I was thinking of letting the air out - but 10cm seems like a lot - have to build a space to store it first (which involves taking down a cocos palm and another smallish tree/large shrub, moving the pool fence, putting up some retaining walls about 1-1.5m high, bringing in tonnes of road base and gravel etc to fill it in, and flattening it off). Nothing too hard to be honest, and apart from the cocos palm, I can do the rest myself. Oh - we also would have to move the pool box/filter/pump etc. I can't do that - not great with plumbing... Could do the electricity pretty easily but my previous plumbing efforts have been pretty embarrassing!

I just have to work out how much I'll spend on that and the materials versus the cost of storing the caravan - and the inconvenience of not having it onsite. The extra car space WILL come in handy when the kids are older and they want to park their car/s off the street. But that seems a LONG way to plan ahead at this stage (seeing as they are 10 and 7)! All food for thought though!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
We went through that no roof :) we will use cover. yes and it cost more then we where quoted :( although if we want to store local it was around $1500 a year 40 mins away not as good access $800. Uncle in law 1 hour away 5 dogs eating van cheaper still.
We just looked we would not do as many weekend get always if we had to pickup.
So took the hit now our section 32 we needed big gates so almost a grand there