Dave and Sarah's Starcraft 17.58-1 OB

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Sounds and looks like a good weekend was had by all!!!!

The sites look bloody huge.... Or are there 2 sites between the hedges?
Just showed the wife and she reckons they would be great so no one would hear her fart :oops:

The van looks great behind the Disco.... In the last pic is the nose down a bit or is it the angle of the pic?

Reactions: Nagga's

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@dagree they are nice big sites hence we went back for our first trip in a caravan :)
As a added bonus we had no one across from us when we got there Friday so pulled into the one across and backed straight back :)

Picture was on a slope so could of been the air suspension levelling things Sarah was waiting for me to get back in the car.
Your not supposed to use WDH on the Land Rover, seemed pretty level when we where on a flat bit of ground.. Need to take a picture next time.

We actually backed it into home in around 15 mins today so down from over 45 which was good. put it in the middle of the area now so can get past both sides of the van. Still need to make something to get it fully level might grab some sleepers tomorrow.
Had problems uncoupling again, like the ball gets stuck. Not sure what it is have the handle pulled full back and the ball does not drop out easily. You wind the jockey wheel up and the Disco raises with it.
Also jockey wheel was cross threaded when we picked it up, seems to screw on nicely when there is no wheel although not so easy when its there. Do you normally hand tighten?

Reactions: Janbo and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@dagree they are nice big sites hence we went back for our first trip in a caravan :)
As a added bonus we had no one across from us when we got there Friday so pulled into the one across and backed straight back :)

Picture was on a slope so could of been the air suspension levelling things Sarah was waiting for me to get back in the car.
Your not supposed to use WDH on the Land Rover, seemed pretty level when we where on a flat bit of ground.. Need to take a picture next time.

We actually backed it into home in around 15 mins today so down from over 45 which was good. put it in the middle of the area now so can get past both sides of the van. Still need to make something to get it fully level might grab some sleepers tomorrow.
Had problems uncoupling again, like the ball gets stuck. Not sure what it is have the handle pulled full back and the ball does not drop out easily. You wind the jockey wheel up and the Disco raises with it.
Also jockey wheel was cross threaded when we picked it up, seems to screw on nicely when there is no wheel although not so easy when its there. Do you normally hand tighten?

Well done on the backing when you got home :encouragement:
I had a similar issue with the towball becoming stuck on the previous van but that was due to the van being on level ground and the car on an angle facing downhill.... Just took a bit of patience and rocking the a-frame once lifted on the jockey wheel.

Hand tighten? If you mean the jockey wheel clamp... Yes just hand tighten.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Can't help with actual measurements.... Currently raining but I do know that the extended ones are approximately 300mm longer than standard.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Well it was hand tightened and I could not get it off :) Then the jockey wheel slipped down so I did it up tight again and could not un do it :) Girl at Jayco at pickup used a piece of pipe to leverage it hence the question.
Pretty sure a normal A frame is 1.3 so extended should be 1.6. I have to measure tomorrow

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Other thing does anyone know what length the extended drawbar compared to normal is.
Had four people comment now "oh you got a extended drawbar"
I did not order it? Although there is a lot of room behind the gas bottles.
I was at jayco, talking about this to the salesman, who told me 300mm longer than standard drawbar.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
With the jockey wheel I always try to get one of the "ridges" to sit in the slot of the holder (or under it) that way just need to hand tighten it. Had the boat trailer slip once so "Once bitten twice shy!!"

Reactions: Wanda

halbster

May 13, 2014
Glad to hear you had a good first trip and only a few "smallish" issues.
Time to plan the next one now.

Reactions: davemc

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Sounds like a successful first trip away. Shes a top looking van!

Is your hitch a hyland or normal type, my hyland can get a bit stuck every now and then, just give it a good grease up.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Look wise happy with it although still think its looks weird no windows on right had side now they removed the kitchen one. Had someone ask why no windows there, said was one now its gone.
img_4646-jpg.jpg

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
@Moto Moto standard hitch, I think some of of it is the Land Rover suspension rises with the ball. Although it must be caught on it and not drop off.
Some of my trailers get caught too. Especially the heavy ones. Sometimes I have to stand on the back of the ute to get it to drop, popping the hitch off the ball. I reckon it's because of the friction between the 2 vehicles, brakes on both, the ball just gets a little wedged.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@Moto Moto 5 year old is in the third row will get him to jump up and down next time. Normally I do not have to ask for him to jump around :)

Just got up on roof again check TV... Only shield goes into the van the middle pin does not come up. Middle and shield crossed inside somewhere as they show connected.

So booked it in for 24th June to get things fixed.
List is only small really. TV annoying. Dinette cannot really leave it to get pulled out of wall by kids
TV
Dinette
Microwave door does not open unless you manually open it. just clicks
Missing washer from hatch
Front sticker is a touring not outback.

We also brought a second hand Anti Flap Kit for cheap so get them to fit it if it fits :)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @davemc, nice van mate! As others have said, make sure your jockey wheel is in one of the ridges and you should only need to hand tighten. Also give the thread a coat of never seize of some sort, you should never need to use pipe on the handle, if you strip the thread it's grind off the nut, weld a new one on and a new male thread as well.
My hitch sometimes locks usually when I use levellers under one side, in this case just chock the van wheels and either back or drive forward a tad.....works for me!
Cheers.