Xpandafan's 18.57-7 - the learning curve.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Gotta love a drive through service centre!
Yes, you definately earned some brownie points today, and well deserved points too!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Gotta love a drive through service centre!
Yes, you definately earned some brownie points today, and well deserved points too!

Thanks Lara.:) Was an interesting morning; very narrow street at the back and front is an angled doorway with reasonably steep crossover onto a busy road complete with trams! Good towing practice. The Ibis A/C now works better/quieter than it ever did since we got it. On the roof, it's almost out of sight and out of mind. Probably worth getting checked out once every year or two (depending on useage).

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks Lara.:) Was an interesting morning; very narrow street at the back and front is an angled doorway with reasonably steep crossover onto a busy road complete with trams! Good towing practice. The Ibis A/C now works better/quieter than it ever did since we got it. On the roof, it's almost out of sight and out of mind. Probably worth getting checked out once every year or two (depending on useage).

That is good news. I always wonder how well my AC units are working, and if they could be improved!

Reactions: Xpandafan

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thats an interesting set of towing mirrors Xpanda.......do you remember where they came from?

389104042.178289.jpg

They're C-MOR mirrors, custom made by Mr John Walker in WA (about $200 all up) I'll post his phone number tomorrow and some better pics if anyone's interested.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
I had no idea the roof was that strong it would take all that weight. Guess it has to though right? Cause I am sure an air conditioner would weight that much.

Yeah, i thought i made out someone on the roof. Perhaps they need to revist their JSA for roof access, what fall arrest system did they have in place to support the person? XF, perhaps you have just alerted WorkSafe for a spot inspection!!! Pace.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks, interested, and a report perhaps?
389164621.854581.jpg
389164746.609789.jpg
389164778.194509.jpg
389164796.768696.jpg

Simple system and was affordable. A mate in Albury has had set for quite a while and I liked the way they worked. His older LC had straight bullbar. John Walker is an older guy in WA that makes these to order. He adapted mirrors with offset to accommodate my angled bar. Like all mirrors I've tried, there's a bit of vibration but they suit me fine. Another friend has fitted to BT50. He's also done mirrors for Prado's with even more severe angled bars and of course LC's. Deal on the phone, not the internet, pay by Money Order. Very reliable with post and packaging.

Reactions: RidgePanda

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I had no idea the roof was that strong it would take all that weight. Guess it has to though right? Cause I am sure an air conditioner would weight that much.
Yep, Brad (and Pace), the Ibis weighs about 45kgs. Roof is obviously built/reinforced to accommodate installation and maintenance of the A/C.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW

Geez, I hope it's OK to go on the roof. I took an uneducated guess that the roof had to be strong enough to get up onto. I assumed it would have to be strong enough given that things like roof air, solar panels and antennas had to be fitted from on top.
Otherwise I'm in big trouble, was up on our roof last week with the sikaflex! Was very cautious and careful though!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Geez, I hope it's OK to go on the roof. I took an uneducated guess that the roof had to be strong enough to get up onto. I assumed it would have to be strong enough given that things like roof air, solar panels and antennas had to be fitted from on top.
Otherwise I'm in big trouble, was up on our roof last week with the sikaflex! Was very cautious and careful though!

Lara what did you need to sikaflex? i thought of getting up on my old roof just to see if it would hold me, though i chickened out, guess the insurance company would've thought that was a really big hail stone. LOL.

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Lara what did you need to sikaflex? i thought of getting up on my old roof just to see if it would hold me, though i chickened out, guess the insurance company would've thought that was a really big hail stone. LOL.

Ha, giant hail storm hey pace9908 ! Good thinking!
Some areas of the roof feel solid as, while others were a bit sketchy. Best way I can describe it is its like climbing on a car bonnet, some areas have a little flex, not that I climb on car bonnets regularly!
While up there I crawled on hands and knees, so low and slow was my method!
Had to sikaflex along the awning sail track. When our Expanda is at home, it's hard up against a 2.4m wall so couldn't get to the awning sail track without getting up on the roof. And while up there found a number of other places that needed re-sealing! Oh and a bit of bird crap removal too!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
HAHA, I hate traffic too !!!

I was in the traffic on Thurs or was it Friday, with the rubbish truck fire on the Ring road at the Sunshine rd off ramp plenty of rubber neckers around. :der:

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
HAHA, I hate traffic too !!!
I was in the traffic on Thurs or was it Friday, with the rubbish truck fire on the Ring road at the Sunshine rd off ramp plenty of rubber neckers around. :der:
Just around the corner from me, CD, sure glad I missed that one! The WWR is chaotic at best of times.
Think about taking the Expanda via the Bell Street off ramp from the freeway in peak hour. Two quite narrow lanes, cars, trucks and buses and everyone in a hurry. Light poles and signs right on the edge of the footpath and the odd shop awning sticking out just as far. And this is after travelling via the Ring Road and Calder from Sunshine Road.
No wonder I sometimes need a drink. :eek: