Xpandafan's 18.57-7 - the learning curve.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thought I could break the ice and show off the 2008 Expanda that's our pride and joy.
These pics are of our first outing earlier in the year - on the way home from picking it up at Prestige Jayco.
Quite a step up from our 2009 Flamingo, which returned us $20K – reinforcing the fact that Jayco's certainly hold their value if you look after them.
P1010103.JPG
Lesson 1. 18.57 doesn't mean 18'6", it's 7.48m (24'6") or 8.33m (27'4") with both ends expanded.
Lesson 2. Don't book a site without specifying your rig size.
Lesson 3. Shade has it's disadvantages.
P1010106.JPGP1010105.JPGP1010107.JPG
The receptionist (marriage counsellor) at the caravan park took one look at me and the van and then suggested she make my wife a cup of tea
while I parked the van under the beautiful gum tree. Luck only the two of us and we didn't need to open the rear bed end.
Needless to say van and tree survived unscathed. (I won't detail how many attempts to slot it into this site.)

Lesson 4
. In later travel we discovered it was quick and easy to set up front "bedroom" while still hitched for an overnight stop.
This was at Nagambie Lakes Leisure Park – the terrific "Jayco friendly" park is high on my list for a re-visit.
P3080145.JPG
Lesson 5. The cost of the solar panels (2 x 120w) and extra battery (2 x 110 a/h) proved it's worth.
while camped at the Shepparton Trotting Complex for the Victorian Gem & Mineral Show.
Power was limited and we felt good, along with a few of the old hands, at passing up the power and flaunting our
self-sufficiency. We used gas for the HWS, fridge and stove. We've replaced all the incandescents with LED's
so lighting and our TV, plus ipad/iphone charging was all met from the batteries.
The roof mounted panels had fully recharged the batteries by the time we'd finished breakfast.

P3110164.JPGP3110171.JPG

Going to get Jayco to do an "under-slung" job for a few more inches clearance and when the budget permits get a reversing/rear view camera.
Other than that I reckon it's the complete package.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 453
Reactions: hamish22

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Nice one expandafan.
I can totally agree with you when you mention site size. I hadn't thought about how much bigger the 18 size van is. We went away this weekend and have ended up in what I would have to call a boutique caravan park.
I had to weave my van around narrow roads and sneaked my way past two cars, a tree and the side of a toilet block.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Here are a few more pics. One of the simplest of pleasures, not possible with the Swan or the Flamingo, is being able to stop anywhere on the road to enjoy a coffee or a meal inside the van.
Of course it's even better to do it in the car park of a roadhouse or servo, where you can show off your rig. Not that size is everything!
We did use to envy everyone with big rigs when we saw them doing the same thing.

CoffeeTime.jpg

These shots are in Castlemaine. Really made full use of the drive-thru site.
Castlemaine3.jpgCastlemaine1.jpg

The (C-Mor) towing mirrors on the bar of the Pathfinder are made by John Walker in WA (around $200) and he customised them to match the bumper angle. Also fits the new BT-50.
I spotted them first on a 'cruiser in Shepparton. A simple concept but I like 'em.
CastlemaineMirrors.jpgC-Mor1.jpgC-Mor2.jpg

Awning set up with privacy screens and mat. Sufficient to keep weather out.
I got the folding step fron Jayco (my old home-made one has now been retired). Square and rectangular aluminium slat tables (Ebay)
are really useful, and we also needed (?) new chairs to match the new van.
My wife made a cushion for the folding alum platform ladder thingy so it doubles as stool. It's great to reach awning and fly ends, etc.
and travels on top of the spare wheel.
Castlemaine2.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Nice setup Xpandafan, really impressed with the mirrors. Will have to investigate further. Also would like to know a bit more about the chairs in your photos. Do they have a brand name and where did you get them, do they just fold up by bunching the legs togrther?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Nice van Xpandafan, really like the blue floor in annexe too, makes a nice change. Don't forget if you lift your van your walls will be short for the annexe!

Cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Yeah. Missus already thought of that. Give her a job to add a skirt or maybe invest in new ones. Blue flooring was cheap enough but works well, time will tell how it lasts.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
No brand that I recall. Chinese imports, but real comfy. Covers slip off and get packed inside van. Frames fold up and go in front hatch. We're about $40 ea. Impulse purchase when picking up rectangular table purchased on eBay. Got them from Lee's Wharehouse (leeswarehouse3190). Place sells all sorts of stuff.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Can't remember John's address, but email is <pamandjohn@iinet.net.au> He's an old timer and prefers payment by money order. Absolute top bloke to deal with. You send him details and pics of your bar. I'll take a few close up pics of mine for you if you like.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Will post some close up pics of mirrors. Clever blokes could prob make up something similar, but John Walker seems real old school craftsman and I thought value for money . He even sent a test bracket for us to check fit on new BT50 after we tried mine and had an idea of angle needed.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for the info on Leeswarehouse, I found the site but there is no chair listed that looks anything like yours so I guess they are no longer available. Have bookmarked his page for future reference.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Here are some pics of the mirrors on the Pathfinder as promised.
On the 4th pic you can see the extra lock nuts John included to
protect thread end and save knuckles when cleaning.
C-M0R1.jpgC-Mor2.jpgC-Mor3.jpgC-Mor4.jpgC-Mor5.jpgC-Mor6.jpg

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
hmmm how pedestrian friendly are those mirrors though ?? Now i don't really care but i can see mr plod having some issues with them sticking out so much and over the bullbar as well.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
No issues so far with quite a few in use. Pics probably exaggerate angles a bit. Folded mirrors don't extend as far a door mirrors and the bar does not project ahead of the centre face of the bull bar.
That said, they come off when not towing the van. I treat them a bit like tow hitches and bike racks. BTW my daily driver now is a Citroen C3 which doesn't intimidate anyone. It does let me check out wheels, sill damage and suspension set up of all the 4WD's on the road.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Got the time machine working. Here's our first "bargain" an ACT consort, I think. $1000,
just needed a little bit of work. That was 1983!

368356235.084182.jpg

Took us to the gulf and back. Then we opted for something really hi-tech (wind-up) in 1987 and got a Swan.
This one lasted us until 2007 when we found we "needed" a Flamingo OB, which was perfect until we saw our current van.

368356140.193811.jpg
I'll never take my Expanda for granted.