Xpandafan's 18.57-7 - the learning curve.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I don't think those mirrors would do so well with the some of cars bull bars... As the bullbars move around A LOT!!! IE The cars where the bull bars are mounted on a special mount to allow the airbag to work properly.... Prado's, LC200's im sure there are some more.
Agree. Horses for courses once again.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Well finally have made a start on the simple task of tidying up the spaghetti of cables for the TV. We usually finish up with great tangle of power and antenna cables. I replaced the single 12v lighter socket with a home made gromet and put a three way outlet into the overhead cupboard for...
1 TV power
2 Antenna amplifier power
3 Dual USB for phone/iPad charging

395723080.054587.png
395723162.519295.png

Next job is to put the actual TV antenna connection inside cupboard as well and convert that outlet to the USB one. Also will replace the power point with one that has the inbuilt USB's (when on mains) and do likewise with power point for fridge/microwave (on floor level beside slide out lounge).
Mrs XF has signed off of job so far....

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
looking good XF, though I can never figure why they put TV mounts near the sink, It's not only Jayco that do it either
Suppose it suits the 18.57-7, but seems to be afterthought. Only providing one 12v socket when the TV they supply needs two for starters is odd. Maybe free camping is not a concept they're familiar with.
Now Mrs XF has got some precious bench space back at least ;) and I can leave the TV all wired up for storage/travel. (There is a switch on the 3-way cig socket in the cupboard to turn power off.)

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Do you get good signal without it?
Got the antenna booster in the cupboard now and it's all pretty good (Except during our six weeks on the spit at Barwon Heads, where I probably need a sat dish) Use an Saturn Omni directional aerial. Pretty useless without the amp.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Got the antenna booster in the cupboard now and it's all pretty good (Except during our six weeks on the spit at Barwon Heads, where I probably need a sat dish) Use an Saturn Omni directional aerial. Pretty useless without the amp.
Gee from memory I think we got ok reception at Barwon Heads... But you do have me wondering now... I will have to take more attention next time I go.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Xpandafan, like what you've done! I've been wanting to do similar with hard drive also. We normally plug the HD into the power point above bench but need to use a power board because the plug pack for HD won't fit into power point as its too close to bench. I managed to read the extremely small writing on power pack and the HD runs on 12v DC so will buy a 12v lead for it and wire a socket in cupboard or use a double adaptor in the 12v TV outlet. You mention power points with USB, are they plug and play or hard wired power points?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hey Xpandafan, like what you've done! I've been wanting to do similar with hard drive also. We normally plug the HD into the power point above bench but need to use a power board because the plug pack for HD won't fit into power point as its too close to bench. I managed to read the extremely small writing on power pack and the HD runs on 12v DC so will buy a 12v lead for it and wire a socket in cupboard or use a double adaptor in the 12v TV outlet. You mention power points with USB, are they plug and play or hard wired power points?
The points are hardwired, just need to get one first and see how it fits/works. Will post a pic when done. I put the TV outlet in the cupboard and connected a 3 way outlet to it. I modified a new 12v socket (all bits from Jaycar) to make the "grommet" for the cables by cutting off the bottom section.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
The points are hardwired, just need to get one first and see how it fits/works. Will post a pic when done. I put the TV outlet in the cupboard and connected a 3 way outlet to it. I modified a new 12v socket (all bits from Jaycar) to make the "grommet" for the cables by cutting off the bottom section.

@Xpandafan ... Any pics?

BJ

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hey @Burnsy, what brand of HD are you talking about?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I think power points in vans need to be double pole. Not sure if they are although they look very good.