What are you using to tow 22.68-1

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
That's a big van for a Triton with the 2.4. I think the Colorado would do it a bit easier imo. I will be interested to see how you go.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Triton is a very old base design compared to colarado. Also Colorado has just had a significant mid-life upgrade.
I agree totally.
But there is a 10 grand difference in price and the wife wants the Triton if it tows the van adequately.
We will find out in a few hours.
Going to hook the van up to one and try it out this morning.
I want the Colorado but money talks.
I will let you all know how the triton tows later today along with what we bought.

Reactions: 17triton

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Yeah, 10k IS a lot of clams... Hell, I only bought the Patrol because it was the right price. And realistically, you are likely to get a lot more discounting from the Mitsubishi dealer on a Triton than you are on a Colorado so the difference might end up being quite a bit more than 10K. Good luck with all 4wdphil, hope that it all turns out sweet for you.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I hope the test vehicle has a brake controller.

Have fun with the test....I'm surprised the Triton dealer offered to let you test it but it makes sense.

I've never asked to do that as it never occurred to me.

Is this a usual request?

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Ok.
The salesman had a new triton with a brake controller in it as he tows a small van so he offered his car to test it out with our van.
Back from the tow test and we did not buy a Triton.
The triton did pull the van but it wasn't effortless.
Also the van pushed the triton around a lot. So much so that the wife was very uncomfortable sitting in the car. She said that she would not feel comfortable towing the van.
The van did sit nicely on Triton (when stationary) and it did not sag much at all. You would not need WDH but maybe an anti sway kit would be of assistance.
We think the Colorado will do a better job plus it also has engine braking, has a bigger motor and a 6 speed box.
Need to make a few phone calls and talk to a few people.
Any suggestions welcome

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
The Colorado is a little heavier so that may help stability. It's also a little longer in the wheelbase. It'd be worth working hard on the phone to see if another tow-test can be had with a Colorado - you might end up with similar result/s to the Triton, which would not be good if you didn't get the chance to test it out first :(

Are there any wagon models (eg Jeep ???) that may be worth considering? Like you, I tow with a wagon (I previously towed with a dual cab) and honestly would be a difficult transition to go back to a ute after the stability of the wagon.

($56K driveaway for a Laredo diesel at the moment)

(Another edit - there are some decent deals on demo Grand Cherokees in the Geelong area at the moment) http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/res....Geelong Districts.))&sortby=TopDeal&limit=12

Last edited:

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Ok.
The salesman had a new triton with a brake controller in it as he tows a small van so he offered his car to test it out with our van.
Back from the tow test and we did not buy a Triton.
The triton did pull the van but it wasn't effortless.
Also the van pushed the triton around a lot. So much so that the wife was very uncomfortable sitting in the car. She said that she would not feel comfortable towing the van.
The van did sit nicely on Triton (when stationary) and it did not sag much at all. You would not need WDH but maybe an anti sway kit would be of assistance.
We think the Colorado will do a better job plus it also has engine braking, has a bigger motor and a 6 speed box.
Need to make a few phone calls and talk to a few people.
Any suggestions welcome
Hi @4wdphil,

If it helps you out I have a Holden franchise and I am happy to advise you whether you are getting a good deal etc for peace of mind.

Let me know if you want any help, the money is better in your pocket than anyone else's right!

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hi @4wdphil,

If it helps you out I have a Holden franchise and I am happy to advise you whether you are getting a good deal etc for peace of mind.

Let me know if you want any help, the money is better in your pocket than anyone else's right!

For what it's worth I also have a Mitsubishi and Jeep franchise, between the 2 you drove you made the right choice but mainly because of the size and weight of your van. The Triton is good value for money and if the weight was less it would win hands down as most can't justify the $$$ difference for essentially getting the same spec vehicle.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi @4wdphil,

Thanks Warren.
How do I pm you

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
For what it's worth I also have a Mitsubishi and Jeep franchise, between the 2 you drove you made the right choice but mainly because of the size and weight of your van. The Triton is good value for money and if the weight was less it would win hands down as most can't justify the $$$ difference for essentially getting the same spec vehicle.
Totally agree Warren I don't think I would like to be towing anymore than a 18ft van and 2.5t with the Triton. I'm happy with my MN towing the 17-58-3 but I know the 22ft full van would be too much.

Reactions: Tone and bigcol

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Totally agree Warren I don't think I would like to be towing anymore than a 18ft van and 2.5t with the Triton. I'm happy with my MN towing the 17-58-3 but I know the 22ft full van would be too much.

@17triton

I looked at using the Pajero Sport for my van as it also can tow 3.1T as its based on the Triton platform, and its a 7 seater which I really need. I have to tell you its a very good choice, it has all the current off road capabilities and is luxurious inside. It doesn't lose anything on the ball weight like the Pajero does when over 2.5T so it ticked most of the boxes.

However I read in quite a few places that it was not a good idea to tow something near your max allowable, even though it was legal. This was the only reason I did not run with it in the end. I have to say though the Jeep is a dream to use.

Reactions: 17triton

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Warren Cook,

:) Not having a go at all - I mean this sincerely. Being helpful, friendly, and just a plain good bloke is a very good way to go. Admirable mate.

@Doc,

Thanks for that, as I said to Phil when we spoke, I am new to the caravanning world and maybe wont be able to help many at this stage with caravanning advice, but If I can help people on the forum in this area than at least I am playing my part and contributing in some way or another.

Swings and roundabouts hey, I am sure I am going to need some expert advice along the way with something.

Appreciate your comments too, thank you :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Chasing the plot here but Big Mal is a full sized 2.7t ( more at times ) 21ft Coromal with 265 75x16 wheels and hooked up behind the RG Colorado which itself was maxxed out weight wise it handled very well, the GCM of the Colorado is 6t and I'm sure we were there, while the auto isn't as good as the Jeep box the cooling system is great, on big arse hills the tranny didn't get too hot and the engine pulled things along very well albeit it is a noisy oil burner.......................Downside of a Colorado is seats aren't as good as the Grand Cherokee, when in the hilly or hard working stuff use manual changing on the auto (something thats need on a lot of vehciles) saves over working the cooling system anyway...........don't really think the Triton is up to that sort of weight.....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A Tray back with an alloy shed like mine is better and more versatile than a tub, but a wise purchase either way mine is great ,as I wait for the time to get the Big Chevy.

Serious though now !!!! If the new model stilll has the fuel filter/pump underneath on the chassis below the passenger seat get a bash plate for it as the drain plug is vunerable to getting hit...............it's an after market job, check my Drovers New Horse thread.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
A Tray back with an alloy shed like mine is better and more versatile than a tub, but a wise purchase either way mine is great ,as I wait for the time to get the Big Chevy.

Serious though now !!!! If the new model stilll has the fuel filter/pump underneath on the chassis below the passenger seat get a bash plate for it as the drain plug is vunerable to getting hit...............it's an after market job, check my Drovers New Horse thread.
Ok, thanks for that Drover.
I will check that out once I take delivery.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I got to say, same as @Doc
well done that man @warren cook
giving honest advice and help, on something that is near on the 2nd / 3rd most expensive thing anyone will buy is so far out its fan-freaking-tastic

much appreciate your help, advice, guidance to @4wdphil in this

(I am certainly going to be annoying you one day when I need to up grade my beastie..........
although, dont hold your breath just yet @warren cook - its a GU TD42 Wagon...................... so it may be awhile before she needs to be replaced)

Reactions: Drover and dagree