What are you using to tow 22.68-1

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi all.
Just wondering what people are using to tow there 22.68-1 starcrafts with and whether or not you use a WDH.

My cruizer died the other day and we need a new tug. Was looking at the ranger but have decided against them due to them having too many issues. I dint want any arguements just would like to know what people are using to tow with.

Thanks in advance.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hi all.
Just wondering what people are using to tow there 22.68-1 starcrafts with and whether or not you use a WDH.

My cruizer died the other day and we need a new tug. Was looking at the ranger but have decided against them due to them having too many issues. I dint want any arguements just would like to know what people are using to tow with.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @4wdphil,

I use a 2016 Grand Cherokee, my van fully loaded is 3t, (Jeep is 3.5 tonne capacity) handles it easy and last trip I was 13.2l per 100k, with 4 kids and myself in the car. I use a hayman reece wdh. I have only had the van 6 weeks and driven back from Port Macquarie, first time towing a van and I did not feel any twitches at all. The jeep suited me better as an all round car, good family car when not towing the van. Not intending to go on any serious off road driving yet so ticked all the boxes. I should probably mention I have been in the motor industry for 20 years so I do not get caught up in all the hype about them going wrong.

My main points when considering were towing ability, comfort for the family when traveling, practicality when not being used for towing.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We have a Discovery 4 does it easy no WDH needed as air suspension had a petrol D3 before hand which strained a little.

If looking at Utes what about a Dmax? We where close to getting a MUX although your close on payload.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
I thought you were buying the BT50 / Wildtrack.............................?
I was considering the ranger but due to work issues we had to hold off purchasing a vehicle.
Now because my cruiser died we have to get something in the next week or so.
Had plenty of time to do research and have decided not to get a ranger or bt 50 due to them having too many problems.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I was considering the ranger but due to work issues we had to hold off purchasing a vehicle.
Now because my cruiser died we have to get something in the next week or so.
Had plenty of time to do research and have decided not to get a ranger or bt 50 due to them having too many problems.

fairy nuff

what happened to the cruiser...........?

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Patrol Y62. Because it's verging on perfection.

Attachments

• rig - small.JPG
    rig - small.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 215
Reactions: Swerve

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi @4wdphil

My Jeep GC MY14 just passed 45,000km Been an excellent tow vehicle fully loaded with kids, 3 bikes on the roof, gear, close to 300kg ball mass and 2675kg ATM. Can't beat 570NM of v6 torque.

(Interesting note, I was looking at VM Moroti the other day and think the same engine is used in the Maserati Ghibli).

I have Quadralift (air suspension), the off road pack (electronic limited slip diff, bash plates etc) and use a WDH. Laredo comes with 18 inch wheels - preferable and is what they 'down spec' to in their Overland model (which is much more coin for a few electronic extras).

For $2k I put in leather on the base Laredo model, bought a Garmin GPS and at the time saved about $8k on the Limited.

Good luck with your choice.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Radiator exploded due to a cracked head. Way to expensive to fix considering it is 16 years old and we were considering upgrading at the end of the year.

very hard to like that, especially a 100 series being sick

why not spend the difference between trade in & cost of new-er car - on a V8 Diesel fitted to the Cruiser...???

I have heard excellent reports about this mob in Qld........
2 guys I know have dealt with them, and are blown away by the service

https://piddiesel.com/
just a thought........................

Reactions: Drover and dagree

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
very hard to like that, especially a 100 series being sick

why not spend the difference between trade in & cost of new-er car - on a V8 Diesel fitted to the Cruiser...???

I have heard excellent reports about this mob in Qld........
2 guys I know have dealt with them, and are blown away by the service

just a thought........................

Have a read of this regarding V8 diesel conversions.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=49462.0

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
thats funny that thread - the OP has posted the same question on 3 sites I knew of - and thats the 4th

there is always Pro's and Con's for any conversion

an LS1 would be cheaper than the Cruiser Petty
and if your going to stuff around, get a crate motor LS-6 (454) - LS6 option came in at 425 hp (317 kW) and 575 lb·ft (780 N·m).

now that would tow a van...........

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I had thought about doing an engine conversion but for the cost of it you still have an old vehicle which still is not worth much. There is also the insurance issue as well.
So after 2 days of driving everything we have narrowed it down to 2 dual cabs. The Triton and the Colorado. The Triton is appealing due to it being significantly cheaper than anything else. The Colorado is great on paper and drove very well ( I was very impressed) Also the servicing cost are cheaper for the Colorado.
We are taking a Triton out again tomorrow and going to tow the van with it to see if it is up to the task.
The Colorado wont have any issues towing the van - more torque and is a six speed apposed to the 5 speed triton.
The wife wants the Triton as it is cheaper but I prefer the Colorado.
Wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Reactions: twscoot