17' Series Tim & Trish 17.56.2 OB

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
@TTBRIDGE , that mattress looks great! We are going away this weekend and will sleep at opposite ends of the van to ensure a goods night sleep.... Because of the comfort factor.... Did you happen to draw up plans for the new lids as well? I would love a copy if you did! That's the next mod before the extended Xmas holiday.

@SPARKI, i did not draw them up. Made it up as i went along. But i remember the measurements. 950 long x 370mm wide, it "light"ply wood and is 12mm think. The pine was dresses at 20mm thick, sides were 70mm high at the front (DB end) and 50mm at the back.

It may sound odd they are different sizes. But the bed base (expanda floor) does not go completely flat, so if you want a flat bed the boxes need to be tapered. I then screwed it up from the bottom and used the handles from the lids are they were going to be covered over.

We have kept the old bed, as everything we have done is completely reversible if we decide to change one day and want to keep the mattress.

Good luck with the mod.
Tim

Reactions: blacky

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Great Job TT. Let us know how blissfull your night sleep becomes!
Any issues with folding the bed? This is so much simpler than the std Jayco setup with the three piece matteress and the different heights, there has to some reason Jaydo doesn't do it this way.....surely...?:confused-87:

@Soaring the bed folds fine, it just rubs the top bar when in position. I might remake that bar with a tighter curve so it does not rub, but that might also be pedantic Will just see how that goes. I think i might also sew a pull length of strapping on the base of the mattress at the drawbar end, so when setting the bed up you can pull the cord to roll the mattress back rather than climbing into the hole to flip it out.

Will certainly report back on how we go with confort.

michelle menzel

May 21, 2014
Nhill
Hi, just new to the forum and seached for forums about the innerspring mattress as it's the only thing i didn't like about our van... I have replaced ours with foam and also have a memory foam topper as l like a nice soft bed, i emailed jayco about the bed with no response at first but when i sent a follow up email that mentioned consumer affairs on the grounds that l found it to be unusable; l recieved an email within a few hours and then a phonecall from the mattress manufacturer to see what they could do for me. As l'm a few hours from anywhere they allowed me to go to clarke rubber and purchase what i needed and they reimbursed me the total cost of $685. So if your van is still under warranty it's worth contacting Jayco.

Reactions: Racer

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Hi, just new to the forum and seached for forums about the innerspring mattress as it's the only thing i didn't like about our van... I have replaced ours with foam and also have a memory foam topper as l like a nice soft bed, i emailed jayco about the bed with no response at first but when i sent a follow up email that mentioned consumer affairs on the grounds that l found it to be unusable; l recieved an email within a few hours and then a phonecall from the mattress manufacturer to see what they could do for me. As l'm a few hours from anywhere they allowed me to go to clarke rubber and purchase what i needed and they reimbursed me the total cost of $685. So if your van is still under warranty it's worth contacting Jayco.
Gday Michelle
That is one of Jayco's redeeming features - they are extremely good with their warranty or replacement out of warranty. Read thru some of the forums on this website and you can read of many reports of items being replaced on vans 3 or 4 years old!

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
This one has been on my list for a while, we wanted a bike rack. Something that was no fuss, and could leave the bikes on and open the back bed. I started to make something, i had it all drawn up in CAD and then i found something very close on the market. They are not cheap, but it is what was after for purpose.

I have modified the rear bar to take a towbar receiver. I have also moved it closer to the van to reduce the leveralge. I have also beefed up the bar with some gussets. I have also done some bar work to pick up the cross member under the rear of the van, so the lever action will spread the load into the base of the van.

I am yet to road trial it, but i am pretty confident in what the final outcome is.

But you cannot beat this for function, i just hope it work half as well as i have hopped and planned for. Drops to the ground at the pull of a pin, and a lock for when lifting it up prior to inserting the securing pin.

20140601_151328_resized.jpg
20140601_151259_resized.jpg
20140601_151144_resized.jpg

MBC004

Feb 3, 2014
Hi bridge , love the tool box, where did you have it made. Would they make another one?

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
This one has been on my list for a while, we wanted a bike rack. Something that was no fuss, and could leave the bikes on and open the back bed. I started to make something, i had it all drawn up in CAD and then i found something very close on the market. They are not cheap, but it is what was after for purpose.

I have modified the rear bar to take a towbar receiver. I have also moved it closer to the van to reduce the leveralge. I have also beefed up the bar with some gussets. I have also done some bar work to pick up the cross member under the rear of the van, so the lever action will spread the load into the base of the van.

I am yet to road trial it, but i am pretty confident in what the final outcome is.

But you cannot beat this for function, i just hope it work half as well as i have hopped and planned for. Drops to the ground at the pull of a pin, and a lock for when lifting it up prior to inserting the securing pin.

View attachment 22834 View attachment 22835 View attachment 22836

Hi @TTBRIDGE, you keep coming up with great mods - well done!
Can you let me know where you bought this off the shelf please......
Cheers @SP4RKI

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Hi @TTBRIDGE, you keep coming up with great mods - well done!
Can you let me know where you bought this off the shelf please......
Cheers @SP4RKI
@SP4RKI i have attached the link. Email them for a price, George is very easy to deal with. They also have a really great stabiliser bolt that pulls the receiver up really tight for nil movement.

Check it out.
http://www.isi-carriers.com/

Last edited:

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
I towed up up the highway the other day for about an hour, i had @Dean81 follow me. Said it was solid as a rock, the only time it moved was if the van dipped so did it. Looks great, and the function A grade. Totally recommend this mod, it will cost a nit more, but it will go anywhere.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Good thread to read. Having just signed the dotted line today for 17.56 - 2 OB in true form I am searching for modification ideas.

One thing that doesn't work for me is the 12 pin. I prefer the 7 pin and run the Anderson plug. I am running a dual batt setup and will be installing the 10amp Projecta smart charger to adequately charge the 2 x 100's. When on 240v I would plug it in to have my aux batt form part of the charging circuit ensuring the car fridge doesn't deplete it.

I am envisaging of fitting a 12pin socket piggy backing off my Anderson to pins 9 & 10 to make the van collection easier without doing my own mods in the jayco car park! Run some decent cable from the batteries through an Anderson to create sustainable on road charging.....I may utilise a Ctek smart pass for this.

What have you done?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Racer
We have a new van coming in aug and I'm with you 7pin and Anderson plug .
Jayco said 12pin only so I made a 7 pin with Anderson plug adaptor hopefully it all works

Reactions: Racer

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
The connection on the car is a 7 pin flat socket but the van will have a 12 pin plug. Now I am sure the 7 pin plug will go into a 12 pin socket but will a 12 pin plug go into a 7 pin socket fitted to a car?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
its fantastic the things u have done ur wife must be proud of the things u can do I only hope I can make mine half as good as urs I will be very interested in how u tackle the spear tire issue I get mine in early july demolishing my carport this weekend to build a new one pergola is done just need to put roof on pic of my work will come when van comes I got a 1756-2 outback from our van show in march things that came with it was wind up antenna 2x120w solar panels 1 100ah batt floor matting side end blocker much thicker privacy screens got from Geelong jayco things I included alco esc picnic table water filter outside tv point draft stopper fridge fan extended drawbar and full oven I think that's it love ur work where is ur Arial for radio ur screens must make it more water proof there great will have to read more to see what u did with the boxes and beds love the frount boxes its what I want to do but the spare tyre did u think of putting gas bottles in boxes ???? or not good if leakage occurs if I was half as handy as u id be laughing I think a lot but don't want to wreak anything keep u posted on when my van comes gidyup !!!!!!!

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
The connection on the car is a 7 pin flat socket but the van will have a 12 pin plug. Now I am sure the 7 pin plug will go into a 12 pin socket but will a 12 pin plug go into a 7 pin socket fitted to a car?

12 pin on vehicle will accept 7 or 12 pin from trailer.

7 pin on car will accept 7 pin only from trailer.

Reactions: chartrock

MARIO DRECHSLER

May 5, 2014
Time for another mod... The bed we hate. After a 16 nights in 3 months we cannot get to like it, nothing worse than driving a solid day and not having a good bed. So in light of other beds i have seen on here we made the change.

While it was not cheep, it will be worth it. We got 2 single sizeish mattress made by made to measure in Brisbane. We have had one of there innerspring before in the camper and loved it. So we went back again for another, but this time the next up the range as we had more allowance to pay with.

They are zipped down the middle so still easy to fold and hold down in the same way the original did. The matters cast was $840. As they are all the same width at 200mm i needed to build up the tunnel lid. I still wanted to be able to open it, and it to be as light as possible but strong.

So i went with 10mm ply, with pine side runners and a center brace. They are a little smaller than the original door as to allow the new raised box to fit into to bed cutout. Once it was all made, to finish off i used some contact, in a wood grain colour to cover it $4 at the loacl office works and it looks kind of factory but better than bare or painted timber.

Few photos of the whole job below. Looking forward to sleeping on it now.
HI there im getting a new van soon and i was wondering were you got the ma tress from as i love a good night sleep as well

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
HI there im getting a new van soon and i was wondering were you got the ma tress from as i love a good night sleep as well
@MARIO DRECHSLER , we had them made to made to measure mattess at Clontarf, QLD. They will make to your measurements. We had 2 singles with a zip down the middle. If you give them a call, the biggest you can fit would be the "superior" They are a great night sleep and no need for a mattress topper.

Good Luck.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
its fantastic the things u have done ur wife must be proud of the things u can do I only hope I can make mine half as good as urs I will be very interested in how u tackle the spear tire issue I get mine in early july demolishing my carport this weekend to build a new one pergola is done just need to put roof on pic of my work will come when van comes I got a 1756-2 outback from our van show in march things that came with it was wind up antenna 2x120w solar panels 1 100ah batt floor matting side end blocker much thicker privacy screens got from Geelong jayco things I included alco esc picnic table water filter outside tv point draft stopper fridge fan extended drawbar and full oven I think that's it love ur work where is ur Arial for radio ur screens must make it more water proof there great will have to read more to see what u did with the boxes and beds love the frount boxes its what I want to do but the spare tyre did u think of putting gas bottles in boxes ???? or not good if leakage occurs if I was half as handy as u id be laughing I think a lot but don't want to wreak anything keep u posted on when my van comes gidyup !!!!!!!

@Bluey I suppose my wife is happy, but i think she takes it for granted now as i have been modifying the entre time i have known her. I am a fitter by trade and am board unless i have a project on the go. I am a perfectionist so i am never happy. Being handy has saved me a load of money as well i suppose. But projects also push the learning boundaries, as you always look for better ways on doing things..

If you have any questions just ask, as for the gas bottles in the box. I kind of went with the undertaking if i am gunna build a box, might as well make it so i can put stuff in it. You half fill the box by putting bottles in it. There is also legislation around gas bottles in enclosed spacers, should be vented and signed etc. I am not up with it all, but i do not like enclosed bottles. If i have a problem, A) i want to smell it so i can sort it b) i want the gas to escape and not build up. Each person is different, but this is my view.

Good luck with the build, they are a great van.

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Bluey I suppose my wife is happy, but i think she takes it for granted now as i have been modifying the entre time i have known her. I am a fitter by trade and am board unless i have a project on the go. I am a perfectionist so i am never happy. Being handy has saved me a load of money as well i suppose. But projects also push the learning boundaries, as you always look for better ways on doing things..

If you have any questions just ask, as for the gas bottles in the box. I kind of went with the undertaking if i am gunna build a box, might as well make it so i can put stuff in it. You half fill the box by putting bottles in it. There is also legislation around gas bottles in enclosed spacers, should be vented and signed etc. I am not up with it all, but i do not like enclosed bottles. If i have a problem, A) i want to smell it so i can sort it b) i want the gas to escape and not build up. Each person is different, but this is my view.

Good luck with the build, they are a great van.
I will be so very interested how u tackle the spear tire I would like to put one on the back and one underneath maybe or just one on the back bar strengthened of course where did u put the Ariel for ur raido thanks ttbridge