Site Update

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
@expanda i think you need to add a favicon so we get a nice looking icon when we save to the home screen?
Currently looks a bit blah (xenForo)
But really liking the new layout!!
image.jpg

Reactions: Capt. Gadget

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I've changed back to the old school version as my aging eye sight is failing me reading the blue bits!

Other than that looks great!

I must admit, I've switched back to for the time being. :behindsofa:

Like an old friend, there's something comforting about the orange and checkerplate.

I reckon I'll come across eventually though...

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I must admit, I've switched back to for the time being. :behindsofa:

Like an old friend, there's something comforting about the orange and checkerplate.

I reckon I'll come across eventually though...

@Smergen and @hamish22 old style will be removed shortly apologies in advance

It's unfortunately outdated and has a few technical issues underneath which can not be resolved.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Smergen and @hamish22 old style will be removed shortly apologies in advance

It's unfortunately outdated and has a few technical issues underneath which can not be resolved.

Ha ha... was wondering how long you could run two sites! :)

All good mate, I'm sure like a lot of things, I'll get used to it! It's the people, not the colour scheme that makes this forum what it is.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Sorry Expanda, but I dont like the look at all. Not enough contrast on this new look at all. The old look was clear and the sub forums could be found easily. I am using my PC with Windows 7 and FireFox. Please do give us back the old look. Some well defined boarders would be a good start.
Sometimes new is not necessarily good.
As to the media thingy with all the photo's? We dont need them cluttering up our screens. There is another forum i use to frequent that had that feature. i dont go there any more.
That's my 2 cents worth.

Let me ask a question or two.....

1) So you don't like seeing pictures when you log into the sites home page?

2) What if the media gallery was removed and we extracted images from existing attachments and featured them on the home page?

3) What if you could select your own colour scheme as a personal preference what would that be?

To be clear, the forum is community based and run by volunteers.

The site is a free resource for all to use and significant investment both financial and personal has gone into -

a) Running the site in the past and future

b) In adding in new features like the media gallery to give you new options to interact with the forum

c) Continued investment in backend managmemt

Your indirect indication you may leave if we continue to 'clutter the screen' is dissapointing and it would be sad for this to happen in the attempt to provide you with more for free.

As a bit of background when we moved the site across to Xenforo the biggest feature that we lost was a media gallery and at the first opportunity we have 're instated that option.

This is not just any media gallery and if you dive into its options and features you will see what I mean.

Further to this the reason why the media gallery was the biggest thing we missed in that transition is because we are a media rich site as photos form a huge part of culture around outdoors.

If you haven't seen the stats on the home page we host:

22,269 Attachments
17GB of storage for media

That means on average 1 in 4 posts on our site contains attachments or images so wether on the home page or embed within posts we are a very media rich website.

My vision for the site is to continue to embrace this media and I am open to constructive feedback around how we best showcase that media to all users so we can share our passion in the realistic form of media.

Some ideas are to display it as a sidebar vs across the page for instance.

I hope to continue this discussion but again need to keep in mind the fact we are media rich and how do we embrace that affectively.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Ha ha... was wondering how long you could run two sites! :)

All good mate, I'm sure like a lot of things, I'll get used to it! It's the people, not the colour scheme that makes this forum what it is.

Cheers @Smergen

Question, if you had the ability to change colours to a personal choice would that be good?

Any idea what those colours may be?

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
The bottom right of the screen has a little green box pop up when you reach the bottom, click on the arrow and watch the magic as it takes you back to the top :) (sorry you know what they say small things.....):D
Hey @cruza driver
:doh:Your right the arrows are working now on the IPad, I swear I tried the other night and it wasn't working. :ranger:

O well let the magic begin :thumb:

Reactions: cruza driver

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Question, if you had the ability to change colours to a personal choice would that be good?

Any idea what those colours may be?

It might a cool function, but not really a necessity I think. I only went back because I preferred the orange than the blue. Nothing wrong with the blue at all, and does look nice and shiny with the "new car smell". Having colour scheme options is cool, but I think it would be better to have a "standard" colour that all pics, media, favicon (learnt a new word there) and other techno-guff can be associated with. Given the amount of time, money and effort you expend towards the site, I'd pick a colour the minimises these the most and stick with it. If some members (be it current or potential) don't like the scheme, then woe to them. As I mentioned, this forum is far more than just a colour scheme.

In regards to preferred colours, I suppose I like the orange because I associate it to my current expanda. Others with the "green" versions might think otherwise. I suppose those with Silverlines might like a "black leather" feel to it! :) But as long as the forum has a strong identifiable scheme I think it will be fine. I like the checkerplate style too, probably because of the association back to the van in the backyard though...

Hope this helps. Always good for my 10c. :)

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
@Stan53 if you go to your preferences and click on the top box and change from " Expandas Downunder Awesome" to just "Expandas Downunder" you will go back to the old colour scheme....
Hallelujah! Glad I could change back.
For some reason the new scheme was slower, more spaced out when viewing on my Samsung S3.
Was that bad I was reluctant to check in here.