Sink blocking

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi everone, I have a 16-49-1ob 09 model and the sink seems to block up regularly in the van section not the sullage hose. I'm thinking there are too many elbows in the section from the sink to the end of pipe where sullage hose connects. I will try running hose straight down and remove all elbows so it ends up in front of wheel instead of behind, has anyone else had the same problem? Cheers.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I've had the problem but only when the sullage hose is on. If draining into a bucket under the outlet, them no problem. If the sullage hose has a rise in it anywhere the sink always takes a long time to drain. I guess it is something to do with air blockages in the long pipe.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
This happened to me twice over Easter and when I took sullage hose off no difference, so for me it's in the van section. I don't know why there is only about a 19mm hole in sink when all other hoses are about 40mm.....makes no sense to me!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have taken my sink drain pipe off and re-routed it through the holes in the chassis cross members which tends to take some of the ups and downs out of it, did the same with the shower pipe as well.

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
Ours drains slowly too. Took the drawer out and noticed that there is a substantial kink in the hose at the back of the 1st drawer. The van is going back again for some warranty work so I'm going to ask if they can fit a 45 degree bend pvc fitting.

On a side note I have undetaken a "mod" to allow me to store sullage & water hoses and small floor mats under the rear of the van. If I get enough time I will take some snaps and upload 'em!

cheers
Sinko

Reactions: Antman

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Ours drains slowly too. Took the drawer out and noticed that there is a substantial kink in the hose at the back of the 1st drawer. The van is going back again for some warranty work so I'm going to ask if they can fit a 45 degree bend pvc fitting.

cheers
Sinko

We had the same issue with one of our campers, they installed an elbow joint and all was good, you who think they would have learnt by now..

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
On a side note I have undetaken a "mod" to allow me to store sullage & water hoses and small floor mats under the rear of the van. If I get enough time I will take some snaps and upload 'em!

Cheers
Sinko[/QUOTE]

Hey mate, this would be good to see! Cheers.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
This happened to me twice over Easter and when I took sullage hose off no difference, so for me it's in the van section. I don't know why there is only about a 19mm hole in sink when all other hoses are about 40mm.....makes no sense to me!

Yep, I find the same problem. It empties out of the sink, but blocks at the elbows right below the sullage hose connection. There is another 19mm choke point there. Trying to teach the kids to scrape their left overs into the bin, not the sink - just a couple pieces of corn and soggy rice blocks it real quick. After pulling it apart a few times to empty, I'll be looking for a better elbow/connection to fit.

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
No matter how careful you are, sometimes stuff goes down the sink that shouldn't.
For a quick fix, I use the 12v tyre compressor from the car. Hold some cloth around the sink, switch on and hey presto - unblocked drain in 5 secs flat.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Or you could send a chux down the sink and see if it comes out the other end (this was unintentional though so do so at your own risk):smile:

696.jpg

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Or you could send a chux down the sink and see if it comes out the other end (this was unintentional though so do so at your own risk):smile:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/cruzadriver/echuca%202011/696.jpg[/IMiG][/QUOTE]

Hey CD.I notice your clear pipes are standard length,I cut 1 in half and use it for both so it would raise
the manifold from the ground and create more of a slop for water to run out from.this too generates more flow from which potential blockages could run out from.food forthought any one.cheers. sent from my HTC.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks Pace thats not a bad idea. We have actually only used the manifold half a dozen times as it hasn't been required.

On a side note we haven't had any problems with the drains on ours so far, fingers crossed.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Pace, I did the same thing with mine, made a world of difference.
Sounds to me like one of those classic physics conundrums.:confused:
Will the water drain better is the manifold is higher?
I cant test it coz I dont have my Panda yet, but I would argue that the water is going from the sink height to the lowest point of the sullage hose. The system is 'closed' (i think), so it doesnt matter what happens in between. Or am I way off track?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I agree Relgate. I can't see how the water level in the sink, which is up high just wont drop to the lowest point, the end of the sullage pipe. But it doesn't. The only thing I can think of is air pockets in the drain line, with the air trying to rise past the water coming down just slows down the process. :bathbaby:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
What I did once when I thought the drain had something go down it that shouldn't have was when the water was draining I put my hand over the sink drain and used to a bit like a plunger I guess. It seemed to work and there was no obstruction in the pipe then either it must of come out the other end.

I think it might have been a bit of rice by memory :confused: