Pop Top Roof Mis-aligned

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I mentioned in a previous thread that the roof of our 16.49-3OB had shifted to the awning side about 1cm so that the seal on that side was hanging off the side of the van.
Well, I spoke to selling dealer - paraphrasing reply - "yeah, happens quite often - can be fixed, but will happen again". I am not impressed with this answer - will have a go at fixing it myself in the next few weeks - stay tuned.
Will post photos this week of the problem, then hopefully photos of the cure!

Bill

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
The wind does it.

We just push the support rails across as we are pulling the roof down.

It doesn't take much pressure to pull the roof into alignment.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I think the tension of the awning puts extra pressure on the roof which forces it to one side, as well as often making the awning side not rise as easily as the other. My suggestion is to get on a step ladder and shove the roof back over. This will put the roof back in line.

After that, I think it`s best to unlock the awning and pull out about one meter before rising or lowering the roof. This I believe takes the strain from the roof which also prevents it from pulling to one side or not rising completely.

This is what I have done and find it works well for me.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I think it`s best to unlock the awning and pull out about one meter before rising or lowering the roof. This I believe takes the strain from the roof which also prevents it from pulling to one side or not rising completely.

This is what I have done and find it works well for me.

Thats how I have always put the roof up and down, mine has still done it. I still beleive its the camber and the condition of the road, and also the roof top A/C. the middle of the roof jolts up and down and gravity makes it move to the left hand side of the road.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Coastrunner & Bigman,

This is exactly how the dealer told me last week to put the roof up. During handover, I commented on a number of people who had issues with their roof moving and the dealer said that Jayco were aware of this and are now recommending pulling the awning out a metre or so before lifting the roof as coastrunner has suggested.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
Just an update:
Just in case I didn't make it clear before, my van is currently in at the dealers getting some warranty items repaired:
1- Pop top roof alignment issue (requires new pop top skirt)
2- Front lid bubbles (requires new lid)
3- Front bed rub holes (requires new front bed tent)

Ok so I just got a call today from the dealer saying that they now need to order a whole new pop top roof as the other one is "out of shape" .
I will just about have a new van by the end!!
This is making me feel that my statement about the roof AC may have some merit!
Can't wait to hear the full story!!

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
We don't have air con - neither roof nor inside - yet still have roof issues as described!
May get a chance tomorrow to look at it again - slowly recovering from flu?? shocking cold?? !!

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
Is it possible that the Gas strut on one side is not performing as well as the other? If one is not as strong as the other this could result in this type of problem?
I've seen the issue on mine, although always put it down to not being level enough when packing up.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
Another phone call today:
Roof was replaced because "there is a mod that jayco have for the roof A/C" obviously not done on this one?? "the new mod prevents the roof from bowing" Gees I wonder if this new roof is going to be heavier thus changing my TARE weight?? 3-4 weeks for new roof to arrive from VIC.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Is the mod a roof with extra internal bracing? Did they say what the ''mod'' is?:behindsofa:

I remember talking to you about it when you were down here.:yo:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think I mentioned in the other thread, we have this issue. I am pretty sure it's caused by the van being off level. I think the only sure fix is to use the "scissor brackets" that all other pop top manufacturers use except Jayco. They do not allow any sideways movement.