New Nissan Pathfinder yay or nay?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
If they didnt focus on the $$$ they would end up back in the same spot they where before Renault took over. Bankrupt

I agree having the R51 run along side the R52 as they do in the Patrol and Navara, but it isnt gunna happen.

It isnt a money grab as you put it. The cost to develop a car is near a billion dollars. (Look at the commodore). Why would Nissan develop a car for our market when the world doesn't want it, only OZ. Our market is way too small and the return on investment wouldn't happen. This is why there isnt a Y62 diesel.
Nissan's theory is if you want to tow and want to go off road, by the y61 or D40...
New D40 is out next year. This is the other market people are going to, away from the off road wagons.
How many times do you here people say, i traded a Playdo, Pathy, Pajunk etc on a new duel cab. Heaps.
You only have to look at this forum to how many are buying the BT fugly and coming from wagons...
As i said the medium wagon market is shrinking. Cross over and d/cab is growing.

But is dual cab growing in a personal vehicle market, as opposed to a work vehicle market. (As per post above with Great Wall out selling Patrol - that would have to be because of businesses buying them surely)

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Nissan already has the Dualis (and +2), Murano, Xtrail. Two of those are AWD. All come as 2WD. What market are they wanting a slice of they they don't already have a reasonable stake in?
The new Pathfinder is still being touted as a 4x4. (although it too comes in 2wd) but even you say if you want to take it off road its not the best car for that. So why bother with the 4x4 driveline, other than they are still trying to capitalise on the off-road name that Pathfinder has had for almost 20 years.

Nissan has declining sales for a long time. In the 4x4 market, Navaras have come in number 2 for 5 years, behind Hilux. But if we take the utes out of the picture, Prado has averaged 14000 sales each year, LCrusiers (exc pickups) around 9500 sales, compared to pathys at
2000, and Patrols at 3000. (Vfacts) Last year Patrol was outsold by Great Wall v200 (yes, a ute used for, but still....Great Wall????:))
So far, this year to Sept the Patrol is at no 9 for wagons (My lovely little D4 is at No 10 BTW:)) A merc G-class at 2x the cost of a Y62 and 3x than a GU is only a few sales more and Patrol....

One of the considerations I had when I sold my Pathy (albeit minor) was the announcement of the new Pathy. I wondered if it was possible that buyers seeing a R52 and considering it as soft, might by association paint the R51/50/W21 with the same brush. :noidea:

So after all that prattle, Nissan has a strong 4x4 history, but as Crackacoldie suggests, they have lost their way a bit. Killing off another real 4x4, delaying the diesel in the Y62, and GU so old in the tooth won't improve their reputation, IMHO :)

If you have driven the new Pathy you would know what you are talking about. Like the 2wd Kluger, 2wd Exy etc. If you want to tow anything more than a box trailer, try taking off in a hill in the wet. Trust me you wont. This is why they have AWD. If that is your theory then why does an Impreza have AWD. It is for grip, not an off road thing.
I planted my foot in the 2wd Pathy and is Melbourne it was the usual rain. It couldn't get power to the ground and the trac cont was constantly on. The 4wd had no issues.
You said it your self. Nissan has had a sales decline in the PAthy and Patrol. So why would they keep it going in a market where it isnt successful.
Nissan sales overall have not declined. The Exy and Dualis have a huge share of the compact SUV market, and with new Exy around the corner it should go even better. Dualis is a big seller for us.
D40 is as old as a boot, but still sits at number 2 and 3 each month. Still out sells the Ranger and BT50 that everyone pulls over...
Nissan sales are slowly increasing, just to a different part of the market.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
But is dual cab growing in a personal vehicle market, as opposed to a work vehicle market. (As per post above with Great Wall out selling Patrol - that would have to be because of businesses buying them surely)
That is correct, personal are buying dual cabs, but for business as well as the family car.

If business bought utes purely to use as business, why would you buy a dual cab, Useless tray and tub and load capacity compared to a single of even a king cab.
Dual cabs can be both. This is why.
We sell D40 to business mainly, but on the odd occasion a D40 goes to a private buyer. D22 seems to be the private buyer pick for a first ute to play in the mud..

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
As stated though, to me it is still trying to steal market share from Nissan, from the X trail and Murano. Taking market share from yourself is never good business.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I ll probs have a look at the challenger as a possible for a changeover in the next yr or two!!

3 t tow limit!!
Early 2015.....
image.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@stuartcarr2002 I saw the convoy of new Nissans yesterday while sitting in my BT, I knew I was sitting in the seat I would rather be. And yes im biting my tongue as I hear the old BTfugly song again which honestly im over!

By the way doesnt nissan sat nav work because nissan have left all there signs along the highway for which way to go o_O ?

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
@stuartcarr2002 I saw the convoy of new Nissans yesterday while sitting in my BT, I knew I was sitting in the seat I would rather be. And yes im biting my tongue as I hear the old BTfugly song again which honestly im over!

By the way doesnt nissan sat nav work because nissan have left all there signs along the highway for which way to go o_O ?
No, cause in every group there is always some dope that gets lost and doesnt know convoy procedure...:der:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Some good comments @stuartcarr2002 about why Nissan is doing it.

I understand it is about $$$, its interesting the comments you make about the ute market though as I nearly bought one myself.

But that said the deciding factor in a ute or 4wd for us was the 7 seat factor and the R51 provided this whilst giving us something that could tow and go off road.

But for us know it would definetly be a 4wd ute so I think the comments around people moving to utes is valid.

That said though if there was a similiar Pathy to the R51 available it would be a hard sell to get MrsExpanda to commit to a ute as she loves the 7 seater comfort.

But alas we are a dying market to Nissan so no more R51 for us!

Maybe you could persuade Nissan to bring the back 550 for us as one offs for a special price :) pretty please :)!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Xpandafan

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Nay for me too.... Such a shame. My family and I have purchased a lot of Nissans over the years but sadly their entire range no longer matches what we are looking for....apart from the 370Z and GTR.. They look like fun.

Reactions: Stan Lee