17' Series New Jayco Bed End Covers!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Looking at the various stud locations, it seems that he ones that keep the BEF completely beneath the hard lid would have a much better chance if keeping both water and wind out.

Will be watching with interest before I finally decide where to put them next weekend.
In position I have indicated in #430 above, very water proof!

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
By the way, the BEF needs to be separated from the Bed end. As with all tent flys, they work best (water proofing) if there is a good gap so that air can circulate and moisture and condensation is kept away from tent canvas.
Being a camper for many, many years especially in RAAF canvas tents, this is a must.
If you touch wet canvas, it will break the surface tension and will leak and drip.
Will need to be completely dried out to restore surface tension and water proofed again

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Are the Bed End Covers like a female?

Instructions.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I went to the annex dude today and grabbed so off cuts of the side openning alum sail track to test my bending skills. It was relatively easy to bend the shorts they gave, and Im pretty happy ill be able to shape it to the hard lid profile ...
20140918_115046.jpg

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Seems each Mfg does it different. When I picked mine up there were no studs so Jayco rang Kakadu and that's where they said they were to go. I was doubtful due to the small gap but they fitted with a couple of bees d**ks space to spare. They have been on and off now about 50 times and no issues.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Seems each Mfg does it different. When I picked mine up there were no studs so Jayco rang Kakadu and that's where they said they were to go. I was doubtful due to the small gap but they fitted with a couple of bees d**ks space to spare. They have been on and off now about 50 times and no issues.
Lucky you. When I did that initially as the diag was a photo copy of a photo copy and hard to see the detail, the stud was sheared off when I closed the lid, obviously we have different bees over our way. That's why I ended up ringing them, very friendly and helpful to get the position correct according to their instructions.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So after all of the discussion around the press studs, I went and had another look at mine.

The privacy screen studs are fitted on the outside of the gas struts on mine, and the top ones lined up with the studs on the BEF, but the bottom ones didn't.

So rather than drill more holes in the van, it was simpler to add 2 new studs on the bottom of the BEF.

All done now, fits perfectly and no new holes to drill.

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
Australian Caravan Co in Adelaide are now insisting that they fitted them in the correct place and that the studs go outside on the body..

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Australian Caravan Co in Adelaide are now insisting that they fitted them in the correct place and that the studs go outside on the body..

I have been thinking about this alot since the subject of where the press studs go, came up

logically it should go inside where the door closes and locks....
1) neat looking fit
2) secure against wind with the 2 press studs
3) secure against sideways driving rain with the 2 press studs
4) stop water from going in sideways onto Bed Ends
5) stop rain from travelling downwards onto bed end
6) neat and clean external view when not in use

however, if fitted on the outside of the van
1) neat looking fit
2) more press studs required to make it secure against driving rain
3) more press studs required to secure against wind
4) BEF actually fit better (for those made on Friday or Monday - too short by a whisker)
5) but you have press studs on view when not in use
6) not sure if it would stop water egress side ways

Jury is still out

thoughts and comments please.....................

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
All my instincts tell me the studs should be on the inside and even Jayco's own pics seem to show that - I will just have to wait until we get some real rain and see how they go - they are quite a nice snug fit where they are. I have phoned Jayco Head Office and they gave me the number for their technical people so will try that. They did say that they ordered them in bulk and they came without instructions - which seems strange....
10506554_875357325825122_4448714785000079893_o.jpg
10506679_875357305825124_5285125128813246703_o.jpg