MolongMicks 17-56.2 HL outback Expanda

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hey Mick by the looks of things you have been very busy already :becky:

What trips have you got planned? Was Lightning Ridge one of them?

Our first trip was meant to be this weekend, but the Wife needs to work and I have St John training to do, so that is out, next weekend I've got a st John duty at a campdraft, so that is out, which only leaves Easter really. That that is going to be her maiden voyage. Then on the second week of the school holidays, I will be taking her to the Warrumbungles for 5 days.

There are plenty of small trips, about 2-3hr drive from here that I would love to do, I will post this up on a different thread when I start doing them.

Just need to be patient, most of the trips will be during the weekends, and some just the kids and myself in the holidays.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Well, don't I feel really stupid about now.

I was all ready to put in a 12v line and socket to the front cupboard, bought the cable, socket, ribbed conduit etc, only to find out that where I was going to install the socket there is already one there. Now don't I feel like a goose.

On the the other hand I did fix up the switch, which Jayco forgot to install, for the external light on road side that we had installed at the fatory. Works like a treat.

At our handover today - I thought that they had not put in one of the 12 volt points - but then they showed us this tricky one - and voila we had our 4 internal 12 volt points as asked

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Bought a weber baby q yesterday, went looking for a hose for it today. AGL in Ornage will have one here on wednesday 3m long.

The hoses they sell are very strong and thick. Looking forward to hooking up the Q to try it out.

Mick we got our van today - what kind of hose do we need for the weber - have you tried it out yet? I will ask Christian about the stone stomper!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Mick we got our van today - what kind of hose do we need for the weber - have you tried it out yet? I will ask Christian about the stone stomper!

Only got the hose today.

Bayonet hose 3.0m x 3/8bsp clsa is what is written on the receipt.

Won't have a chance to try it until monday or tuesday, will let you know when I try it out.

Reactions: busybusymum

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
The camera has arrived for the tug and van. I will endeavor to start the install this weekend. All the gear looks top quality stuff, though it does come from China.

Two cameras with night viewing, plus 7" monitor. I worried that the inside of the tug will end up looking like one of the flight simnulator computer game consoles.

I will post some pictures as the job progresses.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Looking forward to some pics and reports on the cameras I have been looking but can't make my mind up on which one, I really want a monitor that clips over the rear view mirror and have thought about the wireless stuff, but overheard a guy at an electronics stall at the caravan show talking about the wireless stuff and he reckons there is too much interference for it work well. Plus my Dash already looks like the cockpit of a 747! :laugh:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I highly recommend these guys.
http://www.brashimports.com.au/Caravaners.htm
Late last year I bought a clip over mirror monitor, bullet camera and a rear view camera for my mates '04 Patrol and his 16.49-2.
At the same time I also bought a rear view camera to fit to my 17.56-2.
One of the cameras sent was a DOA so I rang him up (he's here in Melb) and that afternoon he put a new one in an express overnight envelope and I had it the next day. He also included an express prepaid return
for the DOA camera.

My mates Patrol is still operating faultlessly but I've been a bit lazy and haven't got around to installing the camera on my Expanda yet.
My current tow vehicle already has a factory 7" monitor that I can use, so no need for another one over the mirror.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
The camera and monitor went in without too much difficulty.

Great picture quality and easy set up.

I will post some pictures this arvo, had way too many things on this weekend.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hey Mick, sounds like your going great with decking out the van.
Here's what I've done with my hoses. Keeps the storage compartment dry and there out of the way if we don't need them.
IMG_0473.JPG

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
great mod that, keep all the wet stuff outside. i notice your rear bed has 2 hold latches holding the bed up, our van only came with 1. can 1 person manage the 2 lathces at once or does one release enough to let the other out? cheers.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.JPG
These three shots show the loaction I had taken for the installation of the camera.
I ran into some problems with the tow hook thingy (useless U bolt) at the back of the patrol, as it was in the way of view of the camera, so it came off.
The cable was supposed to run through the gap on the bar where the tow hook was, but the plug was quite large and wouldn't fit properly, so it runs under the bumper where it is met by the van camera cable. These two cables then run upinto the patrol through a lug that is located at the bottom to the quarter panel.

IMG_0005.JPG
I made sure that the lug still allows the drainage to occur and silconed around the holes made for the cable to run through.

IMG_0007.JPG
The cable is all tucked away neatly in the groove near the windscreen.
The excess cable and control box is located under the dash.

IMG_0016.JPG
This is the night vision from the camera, no light assistance at all.
You can actually see about 10m behind you, though perspective is all out of whack.

IMG_0019.JPG

The sturdy suction cup mounting is a bit tricky to adjust, but is as solid as a rock, some padding might be needed under the monitor to prevent it from bouncing up and down too much.

The monitor has the easy av1/av2 switch, plus volume control fro the caravan camera. Apparently there is audio built into theose cameras.

The next job is to install the caravan camera, I have already run the cable to the back of the van, but I am thinking I might be about 1m too short, so I will need to source some 4pin cable locally.
More PIcs to come.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Only got the hose today.

Bayonet hose 3.0m x 3/8bsp clsa is what is written on the receipt.

Won't have a chance to try it until monday or tuesday, will let you know when I try it out.

Bummer, the hose I ordered does not fit the weber, wrong thread.

Does anyone know what the right thread is for the Weber baby q?

I bought a 3/8bsp or as it worked out 15mm threaded line, but the threads did not match.

So needless to say, this hose is being returned today and the hunt will start for the correct hose.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Micklast weekend I went to BBQ galore in Albury and got a special Weber hose with a bayonet already attached and it fits the van and the weber and we tried it out on the weekend and it works a treat! It is a Weber product for the Q series and cost about $67. Where is your nearest BBQ galore?

Reactions: MolongMick

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Micklast weekend I went to BBQ galore in Albury and got a special Weber hose with a bayonet already attached and it fits the van and the weber and we tried it out on the weekend and it works a treat! It is a Weber product for the Q series and cost about $67. Where is your nearest BBQ galore?

Dubbo is the closest, but it is a good hours drive.
Will need to sus that one out when I come back from Lighning Ridge.

Thanks BBM

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hey Mick, sounds like your going great with decking out the van.
Here's what I've done with my hoses. Keeps the storage compartment dry and there out of the way if we don't need them.
View attachment 7039

Hi Turtle, are those hooks you used for the hose storage off an off the shelf item? Can you let me know where you got them from and any specifics on brand, sizes, etc?

Cheers Ligedy

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Very nice Expanda Mick - just ordered one myself with similar options. Can't wait to get it then do some mods that you've shown - keep them coming.

Cheers Ligedy

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi Turtle, are those hooks you used for the hose storage off an off the shelf item? Can you let me know where you got them from and any specifics on brand, sizes, etc?

Cheers Ligedy
They are just a double "coat hook" from Bunnings like you would see on the back of a door.