MolongMicks 17-56.2 HL outback Expanda

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Did some more tinkering today.

Climbed under the van to have a good look and realised that I need to put alot of thought into how to protect the many components under the van. Maybe some gal sheeting screwed on to the cross members.

But I did put in a shower curtain and add some protection to the spare wheel. The clamp that holds the spare in place was scratching the rim, so I used some garded hoses to protect the edges.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Shower curtain 1.jpg
    Shower curtain 1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 292
  • Shower curtain 2.jpg
    Shower curtain 2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 310
  • Shower curtain 3.jpg
    Shower curtain 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 325
  • Shower curtain 4.jpg
    Shower curtain 4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 306
  • tyre mount 2.jpg
    tyre mount 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 331
  • Tyre mount.jpg
    Tyre mount.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 318

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Mick

Van looks great mate, Any chance you could post up some shots of the 16" rims they gave you?

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
How'd you hold the curtain rod in place?

Found an extendable curtain rod at Bunnings, it has two suction cups at either end. You just pull it open and it wedges itself against the walls. I did have to cu some tubing off for it to fit. But works a treat.

Reactions: Antman

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I just ordered a rear view camera for the van and tug through SafetyDave. He seems quite legit and honest on the phone and am looking forward to it's arrival.

The only thing that I am not too sure about is the drilling of holes in the van to accept the cables for the camera.

According to the videos on his web site, it is all pretty straight forward, well time will tell.

Will post some pictures when it is all in place.
SD-caravan-colour-rear-vision-package.jpg

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Gees, how much did that setup cost (reverse camera)???
Hey Mick keen to see the install pics when you tackle it. I was just looking at a cheapo camera on eBay for $80. I have already got the rear view camera set up in the Triton. So the van camera would be camera 2.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Gees, how much did that setup cost (reverse camera)???
Hey Mick keen to see the install pics when you tackle it. I was just looking at a cheapo camera on eBay for $80. I have already got the rear view camera set up in the Triton. So the van camera would be camera 2.

It is not the cheapest of setups, but it is not nasty either.

If you have a look at his site, he explains the benefits of his gear over others and even demonstrates the install of it on an expanda.

Total cost including delivery $469.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
It is not the cheapest of setups, but it is not nasty either.

If you have a look at his site, he explains the benefits of his gear over others and even demonstrates the install of it on an expanda.

Total cost including delivery $469.

I added an extra (Cheapy) camera to the back of my expanda, and with some tricky relay work, I can turn both on while driving (switch between) and its wired into my 12 pin plug so you don't even know its there until you use it. VERY Handy!! Use the one screen, 2 switchs outof the way..... nice!

IMG_0049.JPG

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
if you know how to muck around with electic circuits it is easy, me I know enough to blow things up. Nah I know how to install systems from diagrams and can work most things out, but mucking around with cameras and switches and new circuits is a bit too much for me. This one is just plug and play, simple and easy.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I was thinking about adding some extra protection under the van to protect the huge amount of pipes and elbows under the van.
Problem is I'm not sure what to use, I've found a few who have used tin plate and shade cloth.
I'm thinking that I might cut some corrugated iron into strips and tek screw them to the cross members, this way I won't squash the cables that are cable tied to the underside of the cross members.

Any thoughts on this?

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I was thinking about some of that flexible split plastic that they put around electrical cable or I might even experiment with that Expanding Foam in the Can but I'm not sure on how that will hold up to a bombardment of dirt, moisture and rocks

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I'm thinking that I might cut some corrugated iron into strips and tek screw them to the cross members, this way I won't squash the cables that are cable tied to the underside of the cross members.

Any thoughts on this?

I just undid the pipes and passed them through the cut out in the cross members and am about to pop rivet some flat sheet metal to the water tank shield.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I was thinking about some of that flexible split plastic that they put around electrical cable or I might even experiment with that Expanding Foam in the Can but I'm not sure on how that will hold up to a bombardment of dirt, moisture and rocks

Yeah I thought about the use of flexible conduit type material, but I simply have too much under there.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I just undid the pipes and passed them through the cut out in the cross members and am about to pop rivet some flat sheet metal to the water tank shield.

The pipes are fine, most of those pass through the holes in the cross members, there are some electrical cables that are cable tied to the cross member, and I can't find the place they begin or terminate, so undoing those and rerouting is going to be a pain.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Looks like a good setup Mick. I gather you don't use a WDH with the Patrol? Hey that Naden fugitive is down your way hey? I saw a news clipping and it showed a sign with Molong 100kms away.
What other goodies have you planned for the rig?
Keen to see your step by step install with the camera, when you do it.
Cheers Deano

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I gather you don't use a WDH with the Patrol?

Deano, the patrol is set up with constant 400kg springs in the rear. I don't even notice any sag on the rear which is great.

Hey that Naden fugitive is down your way hey? I saw a news clipping and it showed a sign with Molong 100kms away.

Yeah it is a bit scary about him being near by, but 100km is a long way away.

Keen to see your step by step install with the camera, when you do it.

Hopefully the camera should be here next week, will post some pictures when I get that installed.

What other goodies have you planned for the rig?

I ordered some hose bags for the van, one for the power leads, one for drinking water hoses and one for the sullage hose. I also ordered a plastic shield to go in behind the door handle on the flyscreen door, to add a bit of extra security to the van.