Looking to get a Jayco

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
while I can understand your questions @McKenzie, just to throw a spanner in the works.......... so to speak

1) is updating your Tribeca on the cards - realistically -
or will it be a necessity because of getting a Van......................?????

2) if not going to update the Tribeca - your options a very very limited
you may have to go for the Swan - irrespective of your desire for a full sized or pop up Van

3) fuel consumption is relative - if you want to get from point A to point B cheaply - towing is WAY out of the question

half the fun of towing a van to some destination is the trip itself

sorry for my negative thoughts, but................

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
to further add to my comments, as @BigSkiddy says.......

I have never driven or seen a Tribecca tow so cannot comment on it characteristics.
Torque and power of the Tribecca is similar to a Falcon, (350Nm / 190Kw) which I have towed with. It was okay but I was only towing around 1200kg.
Other thing to check is if the towbar weight of the Tribecca is affected by how many passengers in the car and luggage.

similar to a Falcon - sounds like it will tow a Swan with ease............

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Well I've been busy this last week and i did not see the last six comments. I only just read them now. I just purchased a new the Starcraft 17.58-1 last Thursday - Yippee!

Interesting ride with sales ppl. The Brisbane guys were flat out trying to sell me the Swan OB and told me at first I could not get the Starcraft due to weight. They have a Swan OB with a contract that fell over, delivery due in August. They were offering me that one. When I asked again about the Starcraft they told me that weight was very boarder line and definitely no options and that they were taking on a big risk due to weight if it goes over they end up with the van. So I started looking at he weight difference on the fridge and roof mount AC. Google is great! AC roof mount is lighter, fridge 12kg extra. Sales person still would not sell to me or allow me. I decided to call head office. My back ground is in design. Figured that there has to be a way. They put me through to Baywater Jayco who told me that what I was hoping to do was very much possible. Big thanks to them otherwise I may have purchased the swan and then discovered I could have gotten the Starcraft. I then called Bundaberg and finished the deal as they are closer to home...highly recommend them as well. To top if off we added even more extras.

So we get delivery in Dec.........:D

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Congratulations @McKenzie on your decision. I am sure you will not regret it. You obviously had problems with Brisbane Camperland, they can be difficult to deal with. Curious to know how Bundaberg is closer to home when home is Brisbane? :noidea:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Nice one @McKenzie !
They probably wanted to sell you the Swan because they'd get another sale in the future when you upgrade.

I think you've made the right decision there to go with the StarCraft. It's a great family layout, for all types of weather. Especially when it's windy and cold, you'll feel a lot more secure in the StarCraft.

You'll have to start a new thread under the StarCraft section detailing all your extras with your upcoming mods and adventures.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats @McKenzie now for the wait and good onya for not giving in to the Brisbane guys and doing your homework....
Looking forward to seeing new baby when you get it..... Plenty of reading on here to help you spend your $'s ;)

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
Well I've been busy this last week and i did not see the last six comments. I only just read them now. I just purchased a new the Starcraft 17.58-1 last Thursday - Yippee!

Welcome and congratulations on your choice.
Think you'll be happy with your decision. Ours comes off the line early next month after upgrading form a Swan OB.
Looking forward to a 15min setup vs an hour and a half.
I remember taking a pic of the compliance plate on a touring model (17.58-1) at the Perth show and weights were -
Tare - 1521 kg
ATM - 1921 kg
Ball mass - empty 127 kg - max ball loading 167 kg

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Congratulations @McKenzie on your decision. I am sure you will not regret it. You obviously had problems with Brisbane Camperland, they can be difficult to deal with. Curious to know how Bundaberg is closer to home when home is Brisbane? :noidea:
Hi Chartrock, I was comparing with the Melbourne guys over bundy. Brisbane was not going to get a show after their poor advice and service. To be fair I don't think that all sales persons at camperland would be the same. One person in this thread suggested I talk to Sam. Unfortunately I had not read that message before going to see them. So I was talking to someone else - it was not Sam. That person did call me back last Saturday morning to see how I was going with my decision. That's when I told him about me calling Melbourne office and their advice. He was not impressed and pretty much ended the call shortly after. I guess not much more to say when I've done a deal elsewhere. :)

Which is why I was not saying very much here, as I wanted to talk to them first before posting something negative. Did not think it fair - its someone's business reputation.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Welcome and congratulations on your choice.
Think you'll be happy with your decision. Ours comes off the line early next month after upgrading form a Swan OB.
Looking forward to a 15min setup vs an hour and a half.
I remember taking a pic of the compliance plate on a touring model (17.58-1) at the Perth show and weights were -
Tare - 1521 kg
ATM - 1921 kg
Ball mass - empty 127 kg - max ball loading 167 kg
Wow, that's interesting - was it optioned right up?
I have not gone for solar panels...although I wonder - aside from if I can do it from weight point of view, if its worth it??

Congratulations! you will have to tell us how you go....and send pic's.....I have not idea how it will look on the outside

Just noticed you are getting OB. well done

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Nice one @McKenzie !
They probably wanted to sell you the Swan because they'd get another sale in the future when you upgrade.

I think you've made the right decision there to go with the StarCraft. It's a great family layout, for all types of weather. Especially when it's windy and cold, you'll feel a lot more secure in the StarCraft.

You'll have to start a new thread under the StarCraft section detailing all your extras with your upcoming mods and adventures.
Yes I agree. I feel happy about the decision. not sure what Melbourne ppl do in winter....does anyone take their van to the snow....or is that crazy? I like snowboarding, never took any notice if there were caravans around.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
while I can understand your questions @McKenzie, just to throw a spanner in the works.......... so to speak

1) is updating your Tribeca on the cards - realistically -
or will it be a necessity because of getting a Van......................?????

2) if not going to update the Tribeca - your options a very very limited
you may have to go for the Swan - irrespective of your desire for a full sized or pop up Van

3) fuel consumption is relative - if you want to get from point A to point B cheaply - towing is WAY out of the question

half the fun of towing a van to some destination is the trip itself

sorry for my negative thoughts, but................
No problem Bigcol - just being real.....I will flick the Tribeca one day...or get a second vehicle one day. Wife was really against it. don't blame her...really over borrowing money - particularly for cars. We are trying to stay bad debt free. If the Tribeca does eat fuel......I'll re look at it then.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yes I agree. I feel happy about the decision. not sure what Melbourne ppl do in winter....does anyone take their van to the snow....or is that crazy? I like snowboarding, never took any notice if there were caravans around.
We're Melbournites, and Team Crusty hit the snow most seasons ... but we leave the van tucked up at home and stay in a house with a wood heater and drying room. Never entered my head to van the snow, but @BigSkiddy's got me rethinking that

Reactions: BigSkiddy

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
We're Melbournites, and Team Crusty hit the snow most seasons ... but we leave the van tucked up at home and stay in a house with a wood heater and drying room. Never entered my head to van the snow, but @BigSkiddy's got me rethinking that
yes...somewhere to dry cloths is important. I was wondering if caravan parks would cater for that? last year I tried club fields in NZ for the first time...I like them better....better atmosphere, less crowded. But that could have been due to the poor season.

Reactions: Crusty181

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Most caravan parks in NSW have drying rooms, however we just leave our gear on and it drys in the car by the time we get back to the van. My Jeeps heated seats assist with that.
Once back at the van crank up the heater(s) pop on shorts and t-shirt.
First year we took too much clothing thinking we'd be cold. Actually warmer in the van than my house.

Wish I was there now.
downloadfile-2.jpeg downloadfile-1.jpeg

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
Wow, that's interesting - was it optioned right up?
I have not gone for solar panels...although I wonder - aside from if I can do it from weight point of view, if its worth it??

Congratulations! you will have to tell us how you go....and send pic's.....I have not idea how it will look on the outside

The display van with those weights had the standard inclusions with the following extras -
  • Truma roof air
  • Larger fridge - N504
  • Entertainment package (stereo, speakers, TV, and roof antenna
  • 100amp battery
  • picnic table
Here's a couple of photos of it
20150321_155514.jpg
20150320_142153.jpg
20150321_155637.jpg
20150321_155630.jpg