Looking to get a Jayco

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Hi,

First post :). The reason I've jointed is to learn more about your experience with the Jayco camper van and expanda 16.49-4. I'm hoping to get one of these soonish and doing my research before visiting the "sales person" and get excited by what I want to hear :).

I've noticed that a number of you have upgraded from a swan to 16.49-4. I would like to get an idea of the difference in fuel consumption and why you upgraded to the larger van? That may seem obvious, but I'm sure there a a few reasons.

A friend of mine has purchased a swan OB which started me down this track. I was impressed. Thought I should get one and have been saving. 30K seemed a lot. 40K is a lot to in my books to tie up. We are a young family - two adults and three children - 8 years, 6 years and a girl 2 years. Plus we may have one other grand parent every now and then. You would think the 16.49-4 it is hands down - wife is keen on swan but is willing to look at the van. I like the expanda looks really good...its the money to put down and extra running cost that concerns me. However long term I'm sure, the expanda would be the way to go with kids growing older. Swan I like because I think it will be cheaper and generally easier to tow around. We are keen on the idea of doing lots of quick weekend getaways with the odd long trip once or twice a year.

If you could advise on the fuel consumption difference that would be great? I'd be looking at either the swan OB or the 16.49-4 (not the outback version). Plus why you upgraded? Any other great reasons either way?

Thank you

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @McKenzie. I have never owned a 16-49-4 but I can assure the biggest benefit of the expanda over the swan is setup time. If you are going for weekends then time will be precious and the difference will be well worth it. Also if you are doing longer trips, setting up every night and packing up in the morning will be a chore with the swan compared to the expanda.

As to fuel economy, this will depend on your tug. Let us know what your tow vehicle is and I an sure there will be a member with the same vehicle who can give you performance figures.

Reactions: Dave_B

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome @McKenzie I did the same research originally I was looking at those cheap Chinese camper trailers for $5k ended up with a Starcraft for a lot more $'s. A friend was justing upgrading his Swan which sort of talked me out of one. Also $ wise a nice swan getting into van/expanda price. One piece of advice would be to hire a van see if your happy.
You could also look at s/h 16.49-2 different layout to a -4 although a hard lid you should find s/h around $30k.
Although if you have the space a 17.56-2 if your lucky I have seen s/h around $36k.. you get a ensuite.
Sorry more options :)

I cannot help you with the difference towing swan to expanda. I would think someone here can.
Although as someone mentioned to me on here when I was thinking to upgrade the car from petrol to a new diesel one.
If you took your own lunches while traveling, it would save you more $'s then extra fuel. As stopping at maccas or somewhere with kids buying crap is not cheap.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Thank you for the advice. I have a Subaru Tribeca 3.6L. Towball weight is 160 and 2500kg.
Ive had the car for some time since new and never thought I'd be towing a van when getting it.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have no stats to back this up other than what I have seen over the last 6-7 yrs. but have seen more 12-18mth old swans offered for sale because of trading up to an Expanda or van than just about any other trailer you see in the market place. As @chartrock posted setup time becomes so important if you are traveling and it wears on you if it's a chore.

As per fuel consumption it will be significantly better with a swan type than a 16:49 just as it is between a poptop and full van .

Let's say fuels $2 a litre and the Expanda costs 3l p 100km more fuel on a 4000km trip that's going to cost you $240 more. Do you wanna pay $240 more for faster setup over a 4000km trip?

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @McKenzie . We owned a swan outback for 5 years. It was great when the kids were small, but we outgrew it, as you will too. We now have the expands 21-64 OB......a collectors item it now seems, which is a full size van. Believe it or not, our economy is pretty much the same. With our swan we were averaging 22/23 L/100km (with the patrol and 6 of us in the car fully loaded, including 2 kayaks). When collecting our van from Melbourne (we live in Perth), we drove 12000km and averaged 17/18L/100km for the trip with the panda. (Which was empty as most of our stuff was in Perth). We did a trip to coral bay in April, fully loaded with our usual gear, plus more crap as we had the extra storage, and got 22L/100km.
We went for the swan originally as hubby didn't want to be towing "a brick" and was concerned about the fuel. Now look at us. We were going the 17' but after he saw the slide out lounge....that was it. That was the van we were getting. Must admit I LOVE the slide out. So much more spacious. Go the bigger one, you won't regret the easy of the set up, especially the awning, and the extra room when it's raining and you are all inside.

Reactions: dagree and davemc

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Forgot to mention , you would spend half a day fully setting everything up with the swan, compared to an hour...if that, with the panda. Well, at least that's what we found. Plus, it's a pain in the butt to lose either the lounge or table area for another bed. On saying that, we have driven the whole of WA twice, coastal, and once inland, with the swan.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
21-64 OB......a collectors item it now seems
???. Why for you say that @Smirke

We stepped up from drunken youth with no camping equip, through a variety a tents culminating in a large canvas cabin tent, to a Jayco Swan, an Expanda 16.49.1 to the current 29.63.1. I loved both the Swan and the 16.49.1 ... the weight and fuel difference wasnt significant. I still miss both the the Swan and the 16.49.1

I didnt mind the setting up ... which always included music, singing and booze ... and the occasional dancing. It was a little onerous when we tripped up the coast with the older kids, moving every day or two. But the rest of the time it was fine. It was if course all I knew, and I loved it.

Even with the 20.63.1 we manage to carry enough crap to punch set up time out to match the Swan ... I suppose the difference is we dont have to set up all the crap if we don't want to. The 20.63.1 is without compromise, but I only know that now. Some of my fondest memories were in the Swan

I aint going back, but its different camping now for us.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
For what it's worth.....

We now have the 16.49.3 but upgraded from an Aussie Swag camper via a Jayco Flite to a Swan ob.

Swan to Expanda benefits:

• Setup time....swan took about 90 mins with most time taken putting up awning, bed flies and doing the wind up and putting in door. Expanda can be done in less; 6 mins is our record.
  • Packing up....swan took up to 2.5 hours with all the above in reverse. 2 people only who were reluctant to hurry so that slowed us down.
  • Space.....swan had great internal space and expanda has almost as much but ours has toilet shower but still more than enough
  • Onboard storage....we had every nook and cranny filled in the swan but expanda still has empty drawers
  • Comfort. Beds easier to get into and far more comfortable than swan. The climb up to the beds in the swan gets a bit wearing after a while.
  • Fridge capacity. Swan had 90l fridge, expanda 150l.
  • Tv setup is much easier in expanda.
  • Awning. Swan type is bag with manual fold and can be difficult to roll up in wind and rain but is stronger in both wind and rain if adequately pegged.
  • Bed ends. Hard lids versus canvas flies. No contest. We bought the expanda weather covers but haven't needed to use them as yet even in heavy rain and wind. The swan beds always got wet and we experimented with multiple tarps etc to no avail.
  • Security. Expanda can be locked with door vented. Great for really hot weather. We always felt a Stanley knife would open any part of the swan though the canvas on the expanda could be an access point as well.

Swan has front boot storage which can hold a multitude of unnecessary and necessary items but our swan had tow ball weight of 190 and expanda is 210 full laden.

Swan also has the best ventilation of any camper but expanda needs air conditioning some times as ventilation not as good but perfectly adequate for most climates, except extremes.

OB Expanda has double water capacity, hot water and double gas capacity which cuts out need to carry as much in tow vehicle.

We have marginally increased our fuel consumption since changing from about 15 to 17 l/100kms in a patrol deisel.

Would recommend the swan for a family, particularly if you get external shower fitted when ordering and train the kids early to have specific jobs in setup and pack up? Good for kids and setup time could be 30 minutes and pack up a bit more.

Having $$$$ tied up is a real issue and the Swan definately comes in lower, as long as it's easy to use and enjoy. A lot of camping can be done with the difference while the kids are young.

So, overall.....suggest you identify what and where your major use would be and go from there.
Eg....if you want to do touring in the main with short overnight stops etc then the expanda may be worth spending the extra. Or if you are likely to be plonking the van for a week near a beach etc with lots of help to pack it up then the swan might be adequate.

We did about 25000kms with swan over 5 years and tended to stay in places longer as we couldn't face the packup. Have now had the Expanda about 8 months, travelled over 18000kms already and been touring for 6 months. It's been brilliant and worth the money but may not be if we didn't use it as much.

Good luck with your decisions.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Forgot to add the towing difference.

The Expanda tows beautifully but I suspect that has more to do with the ESC fitted than anything else. Our Swan was born before ESC and we certainly felt sway etc when B Doubles passed us or were going the other way.

No trace of movement with Expanda and ESC.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi,

First post :). The reason I've jointed is to learn more about your experience with the Jayco camper van and expanda 16.49-4. I'm hoping to get one of these soonish and doing my research before visiting the "sales person" and get excited by what I want to hear :).

I've noticed that a number of you have upgraded from a swan to 16.49-4. I would like to get an idea of the difference in fuel consumption and why you upgraded to the larger van? That may seem obvious, but I'm sure there a a few reasons.

A friend of mine has purchased a swan OB which started me down this track. I was impressed. Thought I should get one and have been saving. 30K seemed a lot. 40K is a lot to in my books to tie up. We are a young family - two adults and three children - 8 years, 6 years and a girl 2 years. Plus we may have one other grand parent every now and then. You would think the 16.49-4 it is hands down - wife is keen on swan but is willing to look at the van. I like the expanda looks really good...its the money to put down and extra running cost that concerns me. However long term I'm sure, the expanda would be the way to go with kids growing older. Swan I like because I think it will be cheaper and generally easier to tow around. We are keen on the idea of doing lots of quick weekend getaways with the odd long trip once or twice a year.

If you could advise on the fuel consumption difference that would be great? I'd be looking at either the swan OB or the 16.49-4 (not the outback version). Plus why you upgraded? Any other great reasons either way?

Thank you

Welcome @McKenzie to the forum, you will find a great bunch of people here, more than happy to provide advice and spend your money for you.

We purchased our first van last year, being a 21.64-1 Expanda.

Like you were were originally looking at a Swan outback, however before we locked in the deal, we hired a poptop van and did a few weeks away with some friends who own a Swan.

This trip was in the middle of summer along the Murray River. We were travelling every second day from spot to spot, invariably arriving at a park in the afternoon in the stinking heat and setting up for the night.

We quickly became aware of the significant difference in setup time between a van and a camper when we were set up in 10-15 minutes, and spent the next 20 - 30 minutes sipping on a cold one whilst watching our friends wind and zip and adjust velcro.

After 3 weeks of that we decided that we would save half of our lives and go with something that is faster to set up and easier to heat and cool.

That being said, their is always the tradeoff of weight and fuel economy.

We traveled with the expanda last year with te same friends. He averages 12 l/100km and I averaged 27 l/100. But I'm happy with the choice we have made.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We went straight to a 17 Expanda (from a very old second hand swan type van). We were nervous about the $$$ at first, but NEVER looked back. We reckon it was worth every cent and they (incl swans) hold their value so well that it is actually a good investment. If you can find the extra $10K then go for it. You'll love it.

However, before you do, better check that ball weight. seems your tug has a reasonably low limit...

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 , are they making the 21-64 again??? (After looking at the 20-64, am very happy we got last years model)
You had me stumped with what a 2014 21.64 is .... Ive got the 2014 20.63, and I just spent the last 30min discovering your 21.64 is my 20.63, just with the rear bed. Is the current 20.64.1 the same as yours, just in a 2015 jumper? As you mentioned, Im happy to that we got the 2014 model.

Reactions: Smirke

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Welcome @McKenzie , we have a 16.49.4 as our first van and absolutely love it.
We had a camper trailer before this and even though we we're very good at setups the expanda
Is the way to go for touring and short trips setup is minutes not an hour. I strongly recommend you get the outdoor shower and hot water service at a minimum especially with young ones.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Can't help with the fuel usage difference but welcome to the forum @McKenzie !
When we decided to do away with the tent and all the gear we carried for it we started looking at camper trailers but realised it was just like having to setup the tent (Even though kitchens etc are built in). Decided against that so started looking for a swan or similar.... Looked at a few and after seeing the setup requirements we decided to give it some more thought!

After looking at the last swan we spotted a 16.49.3 tourer expanda in the back corner of the yard as we were leaving...... Long story short... We started looking for a $5 - $7K trailer style camper and walked out with a deposit receipt for a $30K expanda. Second best move we ever made!

Best move we ever did!!!!!! Three years later and after looking at the newer hard lid expandas we decided to upgrade and do away with the extra setup of bed fly's etc (That almost felt like setting up the tent at some times).... Looked around for second hand ones the same size but ended up with a new (Then) 17.56.2 Outback!

Have a good look around..... try the different setup systems and make the decision what you want and buy it!!!!!! Then worry about fuel costs ;)

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
We too have had a swan, then a 16.49.1 and now onto a 18.58.1. Agreed with all the reasons above. Set up time and extra storage in the Expanda vs Swan. Can't ever remember anyone going back from an Expanda to a Swan. Speaks volumes.

RE fuel consumption - the difference over the journey is barely noticeable.

Go the Expanda if you can afford it.

Reactions: dagree

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Like a lot, we toyed with a swan, then toyed with an expanda and ended up with a Starcraft. Big step from a camper trailer. Do your research and buy once.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
All,

Thank you for the warm reception. I really appreciate all of your advice. Yes the towball weight is an issue I was not expecting (I knew very little a short while a go). 160kg is low and don't really wish to buy a different tug. I'm hoping, perhaps in vain that when I talk to the Jayco staff they can offer some advice should we go the bigger model.

Having two young boys will be useful ;) . as when we camp with a tent I pretty much do it on my own with minimal help from the boys before they get distracted - they are improving. I tried the camper trailer once - a friends - wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was a top of the line model or close to it. It was really heavy, hot, hard work to put up plus climbing to get all the poles fixed in place. At the time everyone it seemed had one and I thought it was the way to go. Until I setup next to the caravans at rainbow beach....when they pulled away, it seemed like they just closed the van door, pushed the step in, hooked up and just drove away. I thought then and there that camper trailers are not what they are crack up to be. Also, I noticed that van owners get to know each other and sit in a circle and have a good chat in the arvos. Talk about where they're going next and making plans to meet up again. Great way of doing life if you ask me.

Dangerously I'm planning to visit Jayco this weekend - not to buy (hopefully) but to do a walk though. Doing a hire does sound like a good idea - before I blow the money.

I agree that the Jayco's do hold their value which is great. @davemc I've started looking at the 16.49-2. I'll have a look at the 17' as well. Prefer to go new as I plan to hold. However its another option.

Perhaps the fuel consumption difference is not as bad as I think? If I do hire, that should give me a very good idea to compare plus what I (we) prefer. :D - you can't test drive these vans like cars before you buy??

Reactions: Delano

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
You had me stumped with what a 2014 21.64 is .... Ive got the 2014 20.63, and I just spent the last 30min discovering your 21.64 is my 20.63, just with the rear bed. Is the current 20.64.1 the same as yours, just in a 2015 jumper? As you mentioned, Im happy to that we got the 2014 model.
No. It is different inside. The cabinet on the left, under the TV , only comes up to your knees. They've lost some cupboards and got the micro under the kitchen bench. I guess it comes down to personal preference. But, I prefer ours.(plus ours is actually longer.) not to mention our door is hinged on the left!!!