Looking to get a Jayco

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Just like everyone else, went though a variety of camping types. Swag, roof top, Kimberly, hawk, 2x swans and now the 20.64. Biggest benefit for you, as everyone else has said is setup time and room for the 3 kids. There will not be a lot of rom for the 3 kids and al of their stuff.

Fuel economy- my car is not the most fuel efficient, petrol 200 series. However, the swan returned around 22-24 l/100 and now with a 3tonne van we are up to 30. As discussed above, in other posts, in the scheme of things the difference in cost does not end up being that much over the average holiday, but the setup time and less stress you will have with the kids is priceless.
This is the best thing we have ever done!!
Cheers

David

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Have a good look around at second hand. Lots of good (read barely used) Expandas for sale if the budget doesn't stretch for a new one.

Resale is always good as there are always a large number of people looking to buy Expandas

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Hey @McKenzie, consider where you will be going? Caravan parks or free camp spots?

IMO if it's going to be caravan parks which have level sites, save yourself $25K and get a Podtrailer and a Turbo tent. (Google these).
The only advantage I see with a Swan over a tent is you can camp on unlevel ground.

I'm pretty sure the Expanda is too heavy for the Tribecca, so your decision may be made for you.

Lastly if you do decide to get a new Jayco don't waste your $$$ on extras which will only date and are ridiculously overpriced, such as the audio visual gear. You can also delete air conditioning which will give about $800 discount.

Good luck.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Hi all,

I went to Jayco yesterday. Interesting talking to the sales rep. Yes my cars towball weight is to low for the exanda's :(. From what I can tell, you can't increase the capacity?

Looks like I have two options, which is better than none or one. The swan OB or the Starcraft 17.58-1.

If I go for the Swan OB, I assume you are just throwing money away on AC @BigSkiddy - too much canvas. Also I only see the swan lasting 5 - 7 years? due to kids growing up. Is the ESC necessary for this size? Kakadu bed ends or another brand? I've seen others say that the beds can have moisture issues. I think I would get external shower. Which awning would you recommend? Not sure if I do or don't want walls at this stage.

Does any one have advice on the Starcraft? Salesman says upgrade the fridge (agree with fridge) and jack corner supports (Al-KO). If I want the external shower I need an extra water tank and gas bottle? Is that right? Why not use the existing? do you have to includes these? it comes with three bunk beds but one of the bunk beds is not full size, so you can only have a kid sleep there. So the van will have a shelf life also. Assume ESC is a must?

The sales rep also tells me in their shop they have a first time caravan kit....water hose, waste pipe, leveling things not sure what else. approx up to $250. Any thoughts on this?

I just notice that the Tribeca has ESC. Not if this means I don't need it for the van?

Thank you

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We have a 17.58-1 outback Dual bunks 1850x700 the small one is 1557x700.. as its L shaped its really 2200 long if they can handle feet touching :) The bottom bunk is low to get in I would say that might be a problem when our kids get older, although most triple bunks are the same.
The large fridge is great with kids and we load it up before we leave home or at a supermarket when we get to our destination.
Mean you can have ice creams and other crap in there. a 90l you really need a external as well. Depends one how much you drink you still could do :)
We have two water tanks and two gas bottles although you would need to watch weight.
Water we used before gas still basically both full.

ESC for the van is different then the car.
I would watch how much you add as your probably going to go over the car weight.
remember you can add 400kgs in load and you will. 160 with two water tanks add two 9kg gas bottle.
Outback will hit you weight wise as well.
What can you tow with the car?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I'd go the Starcraft over the Swan, even over the Expanda :behindsofa:.

ESC is not a must.
Forget the external shower, it just takes up cupboard space. (I have one and is my one regret). Plumb it later from under the van.

You could just get the HWS without the extra tank and bottle. You will be limited when free camping, but when hooked up to power and mains water there is no drama. Just be mindful where the HWS is placed, not to take up cupboard space.

Starter kit is not worth it. Get same from Aldi/Supercheap Auto for half the price.

Reactions: twscoot and dagree

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Hi @davemc
I can only get the touring model in 17.58-1 at this stage or Swan OB. I just doubled checked the weight on car - 2000kg. I thought it was 2500kg. The vehicles GVM is 2586kg.
Just looking at the numbers - its not looking very good. Tare is 1554kg plus 400kg leaves me with little room to move.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Hi @davemc
I can only get the touring model in 17.58-1 at this stage or Swan OB. I just doubled checked the weight on car - 2000kg. I thought it was 2500kg. The vehicles GVM is 2586kg.
Just looking at the numbers - its not looking very good. Tare is 1554kg plus 400kg leaves me with little room to move.

Yes you are getting close to your max weight there.
Try putting your mate's Swan on the back and see how it looks. Stand some bodies on the drawbar to increase the towball weight.

I have never driven or seen a Tribecca tow so cannot comment on it characteristics.
Torque and power of the Tribecca is similar to a Falcon, (350Nm / 190Kw) which I have towed with. It was okay but I was only towing around 1200kg.
Other thing to check is if the towbar weight of the Tribecca is affected by how many passengers in the car and luggage.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Can't agree with the comment that ESC is not a must.

Regularly cleaning up the remains of caravans on the M1 freeway makes me think that ESC should be mandatory and not optional.

Save money and weight on showers certainly, but don't skimp on safety.

ESC, Gas Alarm & CO detector should be fitted to every van
Im with you @Bellbirdweb ... whatever keeps my family safe should be a mandatory inclusion on everyone else's van. Im trying my best to keep everyone else safe, I only expect the same in return.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Totally agree.

Having towed vans of almost same weight with and without ESC I found the difference significant and would far rather be confident that van handling errs on the side of safety. I'd prefer to leave some unnecessary luxuries out than omit ESC.

Also agree with CO and LPG alarms for exactly the same reason.

I'm also still amazed by the ignorance displayed by some van owners ( not expanda people) who blatantly overload draw bars and rear bars as well as roof racks. They look like travelling gypsies hawking stuff. I once saw a washing machine strapped to a draw bar and a dishwasher on a roof rack!
The best one was a pizza oven pulled out of a van in a caravan park. Not sure how he packed it ....the pizza smell was great and I was jealous till I realised it was shoved loose into the van while travelling.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Tried to import photo of pizza oven but file size seems to be too large.

Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on reducing file size?

Original JPEG taken by Canon and imported into ipad.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Have to agree that the Starcraft is the way to go. We had a swan with the lot. We regularly used the outside shower so we thought it was worth it, and the aircon in the swan worked well, despite all the canvas. We had a fiamma awning which was great on the swan. You won't look back being able to just walk in and go to bed. No setting up....
We wish we had got a van years ago..

Cheers

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
I would suggest ESC is a must. In time vans may be like cars in that now you can't buy a car without ESC or DSC (whatever the manufacturer likes to call it.)

You can't beat driver assist technology.

Reactions: dagree