Starcraft Jayco Starcraft 22.68-1 OB

oliverd

May 5, 2014
Shellharbour
Hi All,

First post, I own a Jayco Expanda 17.56-2 and have been a lurker on the expanda forum for past 18 months . I have come to learn so much from the folks on the forum as the expanda is my first van.

Anyway I went to the show on the weekend with the intention of buying a Starcraft 22.68.1 Outback. the week earlier I seen a non-outback version at my local dealer for 54k. The show price for outback was 59k which included over 1200 in extra. I thought this wasn't much of a saving and hence didn't buy one. i was expecting better deals to tell you the truth. Did anyone else buy the same van at the show? If so it would be great to know the sort of prices people paid if you are ok with sharing that is.

Cheers,
Oliver

Reactions: expanda

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi All,

First post, I own a Jayco Expanda 17.56-2 and have been a lurker on the expanda forum for past 18 months . I have come to learn so much from the folks on the forum as the expanda is my first van.

Anyway I went to the show on the weekend with the intention of buying a Starcraft 22.68.1 Outback. the week earlier I seen a non-outback version at my local dealer for 54k. The show price for outback was 59k which included over 1200 in extra. I thought this wasn't much of a saving and hence didn't buy one. i was expecting better deals to tell you the truth. Did anyone else buy the same van at the show? If so it would be great to know the sort of prices people paid if you are ok with sharing that is.

Cheers,
Oliver

Didn't buy but went and checked this beast out with @relgate and we caputre a few J Jay plastic things.

Ohhh and the van well lets just say I spent nearly three hours looking at the 22.68.1.....

The one for 59k was it an outback or touring version?

The one i checked out was an outback at the show.

IMGP8158.jpg

IMGP8162.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: relgate

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Excellent. Another potential convert....!
Please keep us fully informed. We looked at this model too. Great van but we went for something just a little smaller.
Cheers
Andrew

oliverd

May 5, 2014
Shellharbour
Excellent. Another potential convert....!
Please keep us fully informed. We looked at this model too. Great van but we went for something just a little smaller.
Cheers
Andrew

Yeah I see where you are coming from, if the 20 foot Starcraft bunk model had separate toilet and shower I would go for it instead. One of the main reasons for upgrading other than fact want a full van. Other downside is will have to move on from my Prado which would also be difficult.

Cheers,
Oliver

Reactions: expanda

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I had to move to the jeep with my 20.62-3 Starcraft (2675kg ATM) so you may not have a choice.
Actually surprised at how well the combined shower in ours works (only used it once) as the toilet swivels.
There a lot of real estate (potentially wasted in a full shower) if you don't use it much.

Last edited:

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
To be honest, we had the 24.64-1 sterling previously, similar layout. The full ensure was great and having the separate shower certainly gave more room. The downside to this size van is the size. It is heavier to tow, more fuel used and wipes out any speed on hills. The length makes it harder, Considerably harder, to turn and manoeuvre in a suburban side street and also for getting onto caravan park sites. We were refused a site at one park as the sites available were simply not big enough, as well as being charged for 2 sites in one park in peak, as we overhung into the site behind. Just some extra points to add for throught.

Reactions: skippy and twscoot

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Yeah I see where you are coming from, if the 20 foot Starcraft bunk model had separate toilet and shower I would go for it instead. One of the main reasons for upgrading other than fact want a full van. Other downside is will have to move on from my Prado which would also be difficult.

Cheers,
Oliver

One of the reasons we like the 22.68.1 is the seperate shower / toilet.

I love the layout of the 20.62.3 but the shower / toilet is the same as the disco so no dice for us.

To be honest, we had the 24.64-1 sterling previously, similar layout. The full ensure was great and having the separate shower certainly gave more room. The downside to this size van is the size. It is heavier to tow, more fuel used and wipes out any speed on hills. The length makes it harder, Considerably harder, to turn and manoeuvre in a suburban side street and also for getting onto caravan park sites. We were refused a site at one park as the sites available were simply not big enough, as well as being charged for 2 sites in one park in peak, as we overhung into the site behind. Just some extra points to add for throught.

Thanks @crackacoldie this is the one point that stops us dead in our tracks is the sheer size of it.

So we looked at the 20" starcraft but no ensuite, then we looked at the 20" expandas and really dived into the size issue of the van and found this -

Discovery 17.55.5SH Travel Length = 7200 (This is our current van)

New Van Options -

Starcfrat - 22.68-1 OB Travel Length = 8423mm

Expanda - 20.62-3 OB Travel Length = 8055mm

Expanda - 20.63-1 OB Travel Length = 8100mn

Expanda - 20.63-1 OB Travel Length = 8195mm

Expanda - 17.56.2OB Travel Length =6864mm

So compared to the starcraft its only 1.2 metres give or take bigger to go to the starcraft than our current discovery model.

It seems huge when you look at it but we should be able to get away with the extra 1.2 metres.

And the difference between the 20.62.3 and the 22.68.1 is marginal at best but you get the full ensuite and the bunk area can be seperated from the rest of the van so you can put the kids to bed, shut the dividing door and then we can use the rest of the van without interrupting them.

Admittedly you have to pay more for fuel and take it a bit slower but ill cop that on the chin as I might actually get to see more of this beautiful country!

At least this is how I am justifying it to the minister of finance.....

But yes definitely something that is holding us back is trying to compute the size of it and also how this will affect resale value in the future.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We went from a 21' van to the 24' with the same thought, what us 3', it is a big difference when it comes to manoeuvrability. Particularly in side streets/driveway access and in traffic. It is not the be all and end all in the decision process, just some extra points to include and be aware of while making an informed decision.

Reactions: skippy

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
We went from a 21' van to the 24' with the same thought, what us 3', it is a big difference when it comes to manoeuvrability. Particularly in side streets/driveway access and in traffic. It is not the be all and end all in the decision process, just some extra points to include and be aware of while making an informed decision.

I agree entirely and as mentioned its the one thing stopping us from doing it lol :)!

But if we "where" to upgrade then one condition is we must have a full ensuite otherwise there is no benefit in it for us.

So the above info is my way of trying to justify going to the 22".

Plus there are heaps of 20" expandas nowadays and the 22 is the same size pretty much so it will be right yer???

Last edited:

oliverd

May 5, 2014
Shellharbour
I am in the exact same boat. If i upgrade it must be for a van with separate shower and toilet and also must be a full van. When doing long trips and during some stages of trip when packing/unpacking every day or 2 that is where a full van comes into its own over an expanda. I do love the size of my expanda though so for me I have the same issue of size just wondering if 22' is way too big to be practical.
I agree entirely and as mentioned its the one thing stopping us from doing it lol :)!

But if we "where" to upgrade then one condition is we must have a full ensuite otherwise there is no benefit in it for us.

So the above info is my way of trying to justify going to the 22".

Plus there are heaps of 20" expandas nowadays and the 22 is the same size pretty much so it will be right yer???