Starcraft Jayco Starcraft 22.68-1 OB

oliverd

May 5, 2014
Shellharbour
Thanks @expanda, great analysis.

So I have the 17.56-2 and as you say Travel Length =6864mm. I have the extended drawbar so is a little longer than this, maybe 300mm longer?

The Starcraft 20.62-3 OB Travel Length = 8055mm
Starcfrat - 22.68-1 OB Travel Length = 8423mm

So the difference between the 20' and 22' is less than 400mm, I would consider this negligible.
Difference from my 17.56-2 expanda to 22' Starcraft 22.6801 OB is about 1.2 metres.

So to all you experienced folks who have gone from a smaller van to a larger van can you please suggest if my comments that 400mm is negligible and if there is a big difference towing a van 1.2 metres longer than existing van?

Cheers,
Oliver

oliverd

May 5, 2014
Shellharbour
We went from a 21' van to the 24' with the same thought, what us 3', it is a big difference when it comes to manoeuvrability. Particularly in side streets/driveway access and in traffic. It is not the be all and end all in the decision process, just some extra points to include and be aware of while making an informed decision.

So @crackacoldie would you say that you had no such issues with the 21' van? Do you recall the travel length of that van?

Cheers,
Oliver

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

So I have the 17.56-2 and as you say Travel Length =6864mm. I have the extended drawbar so is a little longer than this, maybe 300mm longer?

So the difference between the 20' and 22' is less than 400mm, I would consider this negligible.
Difference from my 17.56-2 expanda to 22' Starcraft 22.6801 OB is about 1.2 metres.

So to all you experienced folks who have gone from a smaller van to a larger van can you please suggest if my comments that 400mm is negligible and if there is a big difference towing a van 1.2 metres longer than existing van?

Cheers,
Oliver
Good questions @oliverd
I have sold the 17 and will look to go to the 22.68.01. I am not too worried about the size but I am second guessing getting the extended drawbar. Main reason for getting it, I was thinking of putting a bike rack on it (we take 5 bikes with us). Any thoughts from the wise collective on this? Best to keep it short or go the extended? Note, I have no plans to add a toolbox, there is ample storage and gas bottles are already covered.
Thanks

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com

Cheers,
Oliver

Another interesting fact about the 17.56.2 and Expanda's overall is there is an extended length figure as well which Jayco has chosen to remove from all there manuals now but having had three vans a 16.49.2 and 17.56.2 personally I know what the extended length is in comparison to the starcraft so have compared these already to sites I have stayed on.

I suspect they have done this to hide the true size of the expanda personally.

So from the name "Extended Length" you can tell this does not relate to driving / manoeuvrability as its purely the entire length of the van once the beds are setup but its an important point for van parks as it relates to whether your van will fit on the site once extended and set-up.

So here goes -

17.56.2 Extended Length = 7734mm
18.57.9 Extended Length =8235mm

As you can see its very close to the starcraft once setup as well. :)!

In terms of the 1.2m, I don't think its negligible and @crackacoldie raises some interesting points about the degree of difficulty in towing something this size.

So I do definitely think it will add another degree to manoeuvrability definitely but especially when backing it in.

As your caravan turns it requires a certain degree of angle to get it into a site and that angle will increase with 100mm or 400mm.

This in turn will make it more difficult to turn corners, back it inbetween tight lanes etc etc.

Is it a show stopper?

I honestly don't know personally and I am really still on the fence but nearly on the corect side.

The way I am looking at is in two perspectives (Note these are personal thoughts and devils advocate I am playing with in my mind) -

1) Will fit on most sites? - Answer is yes, looking at the extended length of the 17.56.2 it is very much the same as the starcraft and I have taken a 17.56.2 to alot of places and never had a problem once set-up.

2) How hard will it be to back it in? - This is a hard one, I think its going to be difficult to back in as most sites we go to regularly are quite narrow roads. But for the maybe additional 5 minutes of fiddling around to get the van in and maybe having to unhook the van, reposition the car etc it will be worth it once I get it in for the additional luxury of glamping.

I have admittedly left out the whole 1.2m from the towing experience / driving as my plan is if i get a van of this size I am going to do a full day course with Tow Ed or similar to learn how to tow and manoeuvre such a beast in a more suitable manner.

I also plan on slowing down a bit more and enjoying the scenery whilst paying the fuel tax!

So @crackacoldie would you say that you had no such issues with the 21' van? Do you recall the travel length of that van?

Cheers,
Oliver

Interesting question @crackacoldie what do you think?

Good questions @oliverd
I have sold the 17 and will look to go to the 22.68.01. I am not too worried about the size but I am second guessing getting the extended drawbar. Main reason for getting it, I was thinking of putting a bike rack on it (we take 5 bikes with us). Any thoughts from the wise collective on this? Best to keep it short or go the extended? Note, I have no plans to add a toolbox, there is ample storage and gas bottles are already covered.
Thanks

I would leave the extended drawbar, its just to long otherwise :)!

I know I justify the current size but it really is on the cusp of the limit of most sites and I think the extra 300mm may just tip you over the edge.

But it does leave you with the issue of the bikes :)!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I would leave the extended drawbar, its just to long otherwise :)!

I know I justify the current size but it really is on the cusp of the limit of most sites and I think the extra 300mm may just tip you over the edge.

But it does leave you with the issue of the bikes :)!

You are no help at all! LOL

(but probably right...)

oliverd

May 5, 2014
Shellharbour
Good questions @oliverd
Thanks

I'm probably not the best to comment on this as the expanda 17.56-2 is my first van and it has the extended drawbar. Tows like a dream behind my Prado and for a novice I seem to back it anywhere ok. From what I've been told it makes backing up easier and yes it gives good room for tool box and bikes. I've heard lots of horror stories on why you shouldnt have bikes on the back so extended drawbar is great for bikes as you can see them.

Cheers,
Oliver

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I'm probably not the best to comment on this as the expanda 17.56-2 is my first van and it has the extended drawbar. Tows like a dream behind my Prado and for a novice I seem to back it anywhere ok. From what I've been told it makes backing up easier and yes it gives good room for tool box and bikes. I've heard lots of horror stories on why you shouldnt have bikes on the back so extended drawbar is great for bikes as you can see them.

Cheers,
Oliver

All good points. Thanks @oliverd

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
My wife fulfills that criteria, except for the 'big'.

The Starcraft 20.62.3 is the only other van I envy. Although I just look at @twscoot photos and pretend it's me, since he has the same car as me.

I quite like the layout of the 20.62.3 but the bathroom in the 22.68.1 is just amazing and the fact the kids have separate quarters to the rest of the van is very appealing as they grow older.

We where going to go to the Journey equivalent of the disco but the starcraft is very appealing and for what it offers dollar wise even more appealing.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I can see our van working well even when the kids are quite a bit older (10 and 13 now). They have curtains which shut them out and a ceiling divider is possible (I have seen them in an equivalent Coromal running diagonally across the roof). I don't think its necessary though.

I know I've mentioned it before but the single bed layout up front is fabulous.

Gives us the floor space of a 20 foot Expanda and no climbing over each other.

Our recent 3500km road trip was tremendous with this van in tow as was our longer beach stay over Christmas.

Cheers
Andrew.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I can see our van working well even when the kids are quite a bit older (10 and 13 now). They have curtains which shut them out and a ceiling divider is possible (I have seen them in an equivalent Coromal running diagonally across the roof). I don't think its necessary though.

I know I've mentioned it before but the single bed layout up front is fabulous.

Gives us the floor space of a 20 foot Expanda and no climbing over each other.

Our recent 3500km road trip was tremendous with this van in tow as was our longer beach stay over Christmas.

Cheers
Andrew.

How do you find the toilet and having to swing it around?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
More fuel....

22.68.1.png

Reactions: skippy and twscoot

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Nice. Keep going.....!
Add an external hatch under the rear seat on the bottom bunk. It will give you another place to store important 'stuff'.
(Just a thought...with kids getting older would you use the bed/ table setup or does this defeat the purpose of having everything setup and ready to go?). Thats why we chose built in bunks and not the fold down bed version of the 20.62-3 with offside door.
If you had permanent bunks fitted (with inner springs) make the order have two drawers and one trunk access....
Cheers!
Andrew
Edit -the awning arm might prevent the first suggestion.

Reactions: skippy