Starcraft Jayco Starcraft 22.68-1 OB

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Does anyone know if the triple bunk option comes with downlights and 12v/240v at each bunk?
Also, do the 3 bunk windows open in the 2014 model?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Does anyone know if the triple bunk option comes with downlights and 12v/240v at each bunk?
Also, do the 3 bunk windows open in the 2014 model?

Watsons at Coffs has the triple bunk in stock both outback triple bunk in stock so may pay to give them a call and ask 02 6652 7554.

http://watsonscaravans.com.au/vehicle_detail_popup.cfm?vehicleID=842987

I could be wrong but it looks like there is one light at the least at the top bunk and I can see clips on the windows which leads me to believe the windows are able to be open -

showimage.asp

Reactions: relgate

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
I have to say that after a few trips in the van(20.62-3OB) now, there are a couple of things that I would change. I would next time either get an extended drawbar or a fixed bike rack on the back of the van. I would also get the fixed bunks rather than the fold down bunks as, although they are good for transporting things, on a longer trip moving bikes in and out every night will be annoying. We are looking to do a big trip next year and I am now looking on how to transport the 4 family bikes. Minor issues I know, but still things I didn't really think about at the time. The issues will be sorted but still things to think about. Apart from that we really like the van. In regards to moving up to a bigger van we went from a 17 to a 20 foot van and so far have found that although bigger it isn't to bad. We are happy with the way our Pajero tows it, our Easter trip away we averaged 15ltr p/100. We do like the 22 though and agree with you @expanda, the ability to separate the kids off at night is good. SWMBO just said that you should do it, what the hell, you only live once!!
Sorry for waffling on.

Cheers
greynt

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
So @crackacoldie would you say that you had no such issues with the 21' van? Do you recall the travel length of that van?

Cheers,
Oliver
Oliver,

No I don't recall the travel length, if I did have any of those issues, they were no where near as noticeable with the 21' van. Once the kids are older, we will likely only go back to a 20' van.

oliverd

May 5, 2014
Shellharbour

Does anyone have similar drawing of a 20-62.3 with measurements? I think I could play with the layout and try and squeeze a separate shower and toilet.

For example I think it could be possible to swing the bunks anti-clockwise 90 degrees and have them run from behind dining to end of van and move shower and separate toilet to back. Also get rid of robe at back for more room. Just need specs to confirm this hunch. If I can get away with this I'll go the 20' over the 22'.

Cheers,
Oliver

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
From memory I looked at this. Don't think it will fit. It comes very close but either the shower or toilet is too small and you are better off combining them.
A few things to note from our experience...
The robe at the end of the beds is where the kids clothes go - shoes in the bottom level. If you don't have this, the clothes need to come up front. In our van, everything the kids need is at their end of the van - near the door! We did add two drawers under the bottom bunk which is very handy.
Also the two shelf/bed storage holes beside the beds - you don't get either of these with the fold down bunks 20.62-3 - is where their books/ipods/DVD's/stuff goes and where there is a 12volt and 240 volt power outlet.

By the end of the night I should have you ordering one by 9am tomorrow!
Cheers
Andrew

Reactions: skippy

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I have to say that after a few trips in the van(20.62-3OB) now, there are a couple of things that I would change. I would next time either get an extended drawbar or a fixed bike rack on the back of the van. I would also get the fixed bunks rather than the fold down bunks as, although they are good for transporting things, on a longer trip moving bikes in and out every night will be annoying. We are looking to do a big trip next year and I am now looking on how to transport the 4 family bikes. Minor issues I know, but still things I didn't really think about at the time. The issues will be sorted but still things to think about. Apart from that we really like the van. In regards to moving up to a bigger van we went from a 17 to a 20 foot van and so far have found that although bigger it isn't to bad. We are happy with the way our Pajero tows it, our Easter trip away we averaged 15ltr p/100. We do like the 22 though and agree with you @expanda, the ability to separate the kids off at night is good. SWMBO just said that you should do it, what the hell, you only live once!!
Sorry for waffling on.

Cheers
greynt
Thule ProRide 591 racks on the car carries three of our bikes. They are expensive (Around $220 each if you shop around) but excellent and with a cheap two step ladder easy to use.
(We also carry a tandem - currently inside the van)
As an aside, to carry the tandem - I bought two Aldi roof bike racks at $39 each (on sale on sale from a catalogue a few weeks ago - still around the shops here in Brisbane) which are similar to the ProRide racks at nearly 6 times the price! Plan is to weld two together and carry the tandem also on the roof of the car. (The Thule tandem rack is almost $700!)
Cheers
Andrew

Reactions: greynt

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
We have the 20.63-1OB and there is not much chance a bigger van would get to where we travel when free camping.
To us the perfect van length is the 20.63, when of road I miss the smaller length of the 16 but that's what happens when you upgrade to a hotel on wheels.

However I think the extended draw bar would be a nightmare in caravan parks over here in WA because some of the parks over here are quite tight to get into. The length of the dual cab Colorado and the 20.63 can be a handful sometimes. Mind you in saying that I could do with some extra room up the front of the A frame for extra storage.

We do a lot of free camping and travel down some tight tracks, and this can be a handful to get into sites sometimes let alone the extra length of the extended draw bar or a BIGGER van.

Then again if you have one 22 or bigger, I suppose you just have to be more selective on where you book into and not tend to do as much free camping, then I think you would be more than happy with one of the larger Stirling/Starcrafts or Silverlines.

The real bonus that we find on the 20.63 is that the bikes are on the back rack and the kids beds are always made up and therefore it's a breeze to pull over for one night and not have to set the beds up and move the bikes around to get the kids in bed. Hence now we seem to travel further because one night camps are easy with the 20.63.
There is a door that separates the bunk end and the main area, which is great as it can be closed when the kids are sleeping and they are not disturbed while we are watching TV. I also find on the full height vans that they don't get as hot either.

Reactions: twscoot

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Does anyone have similar drawing of a 20-62.3 with measurements? I think I could play with the layout and try and squeeze a separate shower and toilet.

For example I think it could be possible to swing the bunks anti-clockwise 90 degrees and have them run from behind dining to end of van and move shower and separate toilet to back. Also get rid of robe at back for more room. Just need specs to confirm this hunch. If I can get away with this I'll go the 20' over the 22'.

Cheers,
Oliver
Found some of the measurements which may be of help from our 20.62-3
Width of combined bathroom 1105mm
Width of storage unit beside bunks 197mm
Width of bunks 790mm
So you could fit the bunk in 1105+197+790 = about 2metres.
Just don't think you'll get a separate shower and toilet in the other way.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Watsons at Coffs has the triple bunk in stock both outback triple bunk in stock so may pay to give them a call and ask 02 6652 7554.

http://watsonscaravans.com.au/vehicle_detail_popup.cfm?vehicleID=842987

I could be wrong but it looks like there is one light at the least at the top bunk and I can see clips on the windows which leads me to believe the windows are able to be open -

showimage.asp

@expana they're the same windows as the 20.63 and yes they open but the struts that keep them open are temperamental.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
@expana they're the same windows as the 20.63 and yes they open but the struts that keep them open are temperamental.
Had the same problem with the small struts on my van.

Here's the fix which is working well for me.

The issue is they use a small ball bearing held against the telescopic post which is held against the post by a spring. The ball bearing gets rusty and the whole thing seizes or becomes very difficult to move.

The spring despite its size places too much pressure on the ball bearing.

There's a small clip which holds the spring and ball bearing in place.
Lever it off and remove the spring and ball bearing.

Clip off with side cutters about one or two loops of the spring. The idea is to weaken the spring tension. If you clip too much off just stretch the spring so that it places just a small amount of tension in the ball bearing. Being small windows it doesn't need much.

Oil the whole show and put it back together.

Should be good to go then.

Cheers.
Andrew.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
From memory I looked at this. Don't think it will fit. It comes very close but either the shower or toilet is too small and you are better off combining them.
A few things to note from our experience...
The robe at the end of the beds is where the kids clothes go - shoes in the bottom level. If you don't have this, the clothes need to come up front. In our van, everything the kids need is at their end of the van - near the door! We did add two drawers under the bottom bunk which is very handy.
Also the two shelf/bed storage holes beside the beds - you don't get either of these with the fold down bunks 20.62-3 - is where their books/ipods/DVD's/stuff goes and where there is a 12volt and 240 volt power outlet.

By the end of the night I should have you ordering one by 9am tomorrow!
Cheers
Andrew

@MrsExpanda says without a seperate show / toilet (ensuite) and a seperate living area for the kids "NO DEAL"!

:)!!!!

We have the 20.63-1OB and there is not much chance a bigger van would get to where we travel when free camping.
To us the perfect van length is the 20.63, when of road I miss the smaller length of the 16 but that's what happens when you upgrade to a hotel on wheels.

However I think the extended draw bar would be a nightmare in caravan parks over here in WA because some of the parks over here are quite tight to get into. The length of the dual cab Colorado and the 20.63 can be a handful sometimes. Mind you in saying that I could do with some extra room up the front of the A frame for extra storage.

We do a lot of free camping and travel down some tight tracks, and this can be a handful to get into sites sometimes let alone the extra length of the extended draw bar or a BIGGER van.

Then again if you have one 22 or bigger, I suppose you just have to be more selective on where you book into and not tend to do as much free camping, then I think you would be more than happy with one of the larger Stirling/Starcrafts or Silverlines.

The real bonus that we find on the 20.63 is that the bikes are on the back rack and the kids beds are always made up and therefore it's a breeze to pull over for one night and not have to set the beds up and move the bikes around to get the kids in bed. Hence now we seem to travel further because one night camps are easy with the 20.63.
There is a door that separates the bunk end and the main area, which is great as it can be closed when the kids are sleeping and they are not disturbed while we are watching TV. I also find on the full height vans that they don't get as hot either.

Agree with the extended drawbar!

I take inspiration from @bigman0510 and his big basestation!

Found some of the measurements which may be of help from our 20.62-3
Width of combined bathroom 1105mm
Width of storage unit beside bunks 197mm
Width of bunks 790mm
So you could fit the bunk in 1105+197+790 = about 2metres.
Just don't think you'll get a separate shower and toilet in the other way.

Bummer and the deal breaker for us is the fact we don't get an ensuite :(!.

And its why we keep going back to the 22 :)!

Thanks @skippy @relgate was curious about this fact as he would like the triple bunks!

Had the same problem with the small struts on my van.

Here's the fix which is working well for me.

The issue is they use a small ball bearing held against the telescopic post which is held against the post by a spring. The ball bearing gets rusty and the whole thing seizes or becomes very difficult to move.

The spring despite its size places too much pressure on the ball bearing.

There's a small clip which holds the spring and ball bearing in place.
Lever it off and remove the spring and ball bearing.

Clip off with side cutters about one or two loops of the spring. The idea is to weaken the spring tension. If you clip too much off just stretch the spring so that it places just a small amount of tension in the ball bearing. Being small windows it doesn't need much.

Oil the whole show and put it back together.

Should be good to go then.

Cheers.
Andrew.

Cheers for that @twscoot how do you find this mechanism holds up in a bit of wind!

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Cheers for that @twscoot how do you find this mechanism holds up in a bit of wind![/QUOTE]

So far all good. And we copped a bit of wind head on to the window a few weeks ago.
I figured if it was too loose I'd just add some more tension to the spring by stretching it a little. But haven't needed to.

Reactions: skippy

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
lol.... I think I was intoxicated

That's not at all obvious from the precision driving but maybe the guy with the can is a give away lol!

So far all good. And we copped a bit of wind head on to the window a few weeks ago.
I figured if it was too loose I'd just add some more tension to the spring by stretching it a little. But haven't needed to.

Good to hear we where a bit worried about that....