Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
@Johnanbev I have a good torque wrench. What sort of torque are we talking about. A friend mentioned 120 ft/lb, but that seems very high for a van with alloy wheels. I think that on my Valiant, they advise only 55ft/lbs. Just had wheels off and will be travelling on Sunday so any good advice would be helpful.
For the Colorado 140 Nm, and for my van 150 Nm. (21.65-4 OB)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While I have the makers torque data for my gear I looked around at the general info on the settings and its a " Oils aint OIl's Sol" sort of scenario, the values change around a bit for the same stud size and pattern and of course lots of people confuse Nm and ftlbs along with steel versus alloy rims.......................

So my research pointed to one main thing, read your manual, if doesn't state anything then you should check out the stud pattern, stud size and wheel size then visit your manufacturers web site for the torque setting, if no luck there, rim manufacturers often have listings but make sure you read it all, confusing Nm for ftlbs and steel for alloy can cause you problems, while they always advise to check your wheel nuts again after 100kms, they fail to mention with hot rims not to swing off the lugs like a gorilla, just a gentle bit of pressure to ensure no movement if using a bar , a big hard push or a foot on with long bar isn't good at all.

Of course my usual warning " Always check the wheel nuts before you hook up after a service whether the wheels were done or not "

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
While I have the makers torque data for my gear I looked around at the general info on the settings and its a " Oils aint OIl's Sol" sort of scenario, the values change around a bit for the same stud size and pattern and of course lots of people confuse Nm and ftlbs along with steel versus alloy rims.......................

So my research pointed to one main thing, read your manual, if doesn't state anything then you should check out the stud pattern, stud size and wheel size then visit your manufacturers web site for the torque setting, if no luck there, rim manufacturers often have listings but make sure you read it all, confusing Nm for ftlbs and steel for alloy can cause you problems, while they always advise to check your wheel nuts again after 100kms, they fail to mention with hot rims not to swing off the lugs like a gorilla, just a gentle bit of pressure to ensure no movement if using a bar , a big hard push or a foot on with long bar isn't good at all.

Of course my usual warning " Always check the wheel nuts before you hook up after a service whether the wheels were done or not "

Very good advice as usual @Drover. One should always read the instructions in the Handbook for your own van. As a result of this thread, I actually did - almost cover to cover- that blue/white Jayco booklet which was in my van all the time. On page 8 (setting up) and page 43 (how to tighten your nuts), rusty or not @Bluey, the book quotes the following:

Steel rims with 1/2 inch studs should be torqued to 115 nm (80 ft/lb) and alloy rims with 1/2 inch wheel threads should be torqued to 122 nm (90 ft/lbs), both types retorqued again every 100kms for first 400kms and rechecked every 1000 kms thereafter or every 6 months.

However, that is from the booklet "revised March 2013" and may have been changed/upgraded again or may be different for other than Jayco vans. One learns something new every day!!!

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Sold the 2015 Jayco 16.52 Journey Outback poptop in 2 days.$4000.00 dollars more than I paid for it 3 years ago! Last 3 days looking for 2016 J 17.55 Journey Outback poptop.Three rang up about had been sold within 24 hours well more than new purchase price .Finally had to grab one owner one with all the fruit in Brisbane this morn as still border closure to NSW Bought on trust and photos.! while I was making up my mind which was all of 5 minutes he had another couple racing over to look at it.Its like lemmings going over a cliff.!,At Jayco Coffs Hbr yesterday salesman said factory will be working nearly 24/7 ,order a van now may get it in May/June next year.!

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Well I was lucky enough to secure a better site until Boxing Day, no more leaves and dat poo hopefully having concrete is a bonus still at Bargara Beach caravan park for now

Attachments

• 7791112B-463C-4782-B8FD-10F16C194AE0.jpeg
    7791112B-463C-4782-B8FD-10F16C194AE0.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 130
  • B0DFF17C-9641-4253-A65C-1203FB673F19.jpeg
    B0DFF17C-9641-4253-A65C-1203FB673F19.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 131

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Bluey we booked cup weekend at Cowes pretty sure we not be allowed to go :(
By Christmas you hope at least regional in Vic.. Although depends how Contact Tracing goes when we open up more
I hope they learnt like other states now not to trust people to tell you the truth.
Vic seems very slow to learn.. We did not isolate contacts of contacts so allowed butchers sons dad to go regional and spread it.
Nor the cleaner who lived in a family of 9 and most had it although went to work

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
And in broad daylight.
End of December you'll be able to go out to the dunny at 0330 and won't need a flashlight.

Nope another myth @Johnanbev , December earliest sunrise in (EST) Brisbane is around 0445 and sunset at 1830ish while (EDST) Melbourne is 0550 rise and sets at 2030 , now if you go out to Charleville rise is 0514 and set at 1930, so all the Daylight Saving stuff is pretty much a city fella thing, as a Truckie I was usually having smoko when the city yobs were just starting work, been at work a few hours already, problem was I would still be at work when they are lined up for the bus.

Besides nothing wrong from seeing the blakes as you stroll for a morning read of the paper.

When down south as a young fella used to hate daylight saving walk into pub in broad daylight and stagger out hours later and still daylight, like being in the Artic circle.......

Reference: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/australia/charleville?month=12&year=2020

Reactions: Crusty181

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Get it delivered up here to me or your battery will be out of date before you drive it............( Wet up here might stay parked at my daughters concrete pad )
Hi,
no problems. Just tow a horse trailer behind it. You will be exempt and you can drive anywhere you want in Victoria. If they pull you up just say you are taking your horse to the races to race in the dan Stakes, the pakula Handicap, or the sutton Sprint.

But don't mention the mikakos Mile or the chris eccles Cup. Those races have both been recenly cancelled.

take care
Mike

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi,
no problems. Just tow a horse trailer behind it. You will be exempt and you can drive anywhere you want in Victoria. If they pull you up just say you are taking your horse to the races to race in the dan Stakes, the pakula Handicap, or the sutton Sprint.

take care
Mike

Bit like in QLD carry a camera or football, making a movie or footy gets you in up here.....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,

But don't mention the mikakos Mile or the chris eccles Cup. Those races have both been recenly cancelled.

take care
Mike
Mike, handicap takes on a whole new meaning down here hey