Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Spot on Crystycon, my mate who builds Rods and cool cars knows where he's coming from with these things and has the contacts as well, the rear axle widened to match the front done in Melb as well as the chassis extension as it was cheaper than some mob in QLD, seems not many do and engineer this type of thing, the canopy he sourced from Sydney, very similar to my chinese build just bigger he gave them the drawings and they knocked it up, $3000...amazing and its a good build......................he chucked the standard park benches and replaced them with HSV bum mats, centre console and entertainment system included so it's a comfortable, powerfull rig to travel in, he built a slide for a Genny and the shed has it's own power station set up for whatever is available 240, 12v,solar................and it hasn't done a weigh bridge, understandable he is a truckie.

Norweld do some nice stuff for sure but the $$$ is just beyond me..

Having looked at the standard 79's the rear wheels do look wrong for such a vehicle, pity you would think by now Toyota could get it right, but they do require $$ to be thrown at them and not just for bling rubbish.............

Saw a nice RAM 1500 in a car park today, wanted to have a close up but didn't...

View attachment 61335
The Ram is very impressive, and its a very expensive unit .... but when you consider the final bill after walking the LC around through a litany 3rd party providers to get it up to speed, the off the shelf Ram is still significantly ahead of it.

Reactions: Bluey and mfexpanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Ram is very impressive, and its a very expensive unit .... but when you consider the final bill after walking the LC around through a litany 3rd party providers to get it up to speed, the off the shelf Ram is still significantly ahead of it.
change of plan @Drover. Just looked at the "actual" price of them, and by the time I pimp up a LC the difference isnt significant. There's a dealer locally so tomorrow I could find myself tyre kicking

Reactions: Bluey and DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The RAM 1500 , which will be released shortly in RH drive at $80K only a poofteenth bigger than a normal dual cab in size, may have a long wait list though but the ones now for sale 2nd hand from folks that bought the imported ones earlier are going to spew as they want heaps more for them than the new ones coming in that are rebuilt by HSV....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluey

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Good morning at the farrier called bridgstone getting new shoes put on prado 57 thousand out of last set not really down to wear blocks yet but not far off them close enough to warrent a change only really needed front 2 but at 200 each tyre 4 new ones are the go
The 697s are a great tyre
Back to work tomorrow to pay for them! :o But just think of that next trip :car:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats pretty crap mileage out of them, should have heaps of meat left Blue Dog, The Ute has recently got the same boots fitted , Bob Jane did the job for under $900 smackas, LT 245 70x16, I certainly hope I'm not looking for a new set at 57K, I was surprised that the Maryborough Bob Jane shop actually did a decent alighnment, I usually go to a steering shop as most tyre shops can't do a crap job, what was the wear pattern on the old rubber, even or messy ??? It can pay to get a decent alighnment, cost is scary but can mean your tyres will last for 90K at least, tyre shops are hit and miss most times.......................I like my 697's on The Ute they are certainly nice and quiet and just drive nice, will see shortly how they perform with Big Mal dragging behind...............either way new rubber is always good and I'm no saint my last lot while good when solo were rubbish when towing and chucked them after 50K, once I'd saved some pension cheques, have always said don't buy cheap, I did and paid the price, no saving at all................would have gone Geolanders but they don't do LT in 245's..................

Windy today in Cooloola, 23 deg, a touch of cloud but still needed a hat the sun was cooking...............................................lol,lol,lol.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wives tale nowadays, way back when @chartrock was a lad it may have been the case with full rubber tyres but not now.................yes agree good tyres but thought you would get more out of them, I too like to swap out before time just not that early but then being a Prado you do have to drive them hard to keep up with the Holdens..............lol,lol,lol.

Reactions: mfexpanda and DRW

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Wives tale nowadays, way back when @chartrock was a lad it may have been the case with full rubber tyres but not now..........
A couple of my earlier memories. :o
Burberry.jpg
Jones speedo 1.jpg

These are from from a book "Hints and Tips for Automobilists" circa 1912

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Looks like if you live in QLD, you will need to buy a bigger car to tow a caravan!

The main issue seems to be the weight that the tug has added onto it after it leaves the show room. The added things like winch, bull bar, roof racks and what is loaded on them , the weight of extra water tanks and long range fuel tanks (and their added contents), extra batteries and tool boxes plus passenger/s weight can easily exceed the carrying capacity of your tug. Supposed for safety reasons, but they are also going to ban the modification/addition of heavier shock absober and suspensions to be able to carry this extra load. Could be a hard one to get around unless all this is added BEFORE the vehicle leaves the show room. Still to pass parliament yet.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
$80k will eat into other ute sales you think. Although towing wonder how the V8 is for fuel.. You probably will not care :)

I have a mate who's holidaying in the USA, using one to drag his 23ft van around (it's a long holiday) and the figures he's passed on to me are very impressive, generally as good as my Ute and better than Cruiser or Patrol, the 5.7 hemi V8 is a very effiecent motor with heaps of grunt.....

Yes the new RAM part owned by the QLD gov.. I gather that is why they will not comment on the new rule.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...t/news-story/a25471424f842886591e1f3e6ef4834b

Gonna have to find similar article elsewhere as the Courier wants me to subscribe....stuff 'em though.