Ford Everest

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well said @bigcol
Yes the "Playdoh" I believe has been kept to the 2.5T limit by Toyota on purpose... Keep up the sales of the higher priced big brother! But you never know they might just change that soon to compete with the ever increasing 3.0 - 3.5T capacity vehicles coming out now!

My take I don't really think toyota keep the Playdoe to 2.5 for any other reason that they are consertive and sensible? Really the way the new breed of dual cabs are being rated is a worry. The izuzu which in chassis is hardly much more than our old rodeo with 1.8 t tow capacity had been rated to 3t then over one model year marketing decided to change nothing but make it 3.5t yeah right. Personally I think the entire crop of DC utes are asking for trouble towing to near there max. Well suited to the 2-2.5t most on this forum are towing. Imo you can't beat having the weight on your tug and evenly distrubted for towing and that's why the cruisers, Patrols, Pajeros etc do it well, even the gutless 3l still tows safely.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Have been watching this thread in anticipation of the new Ford, we have Patrol (yes a 3ltr), and it tow the van really well, yes a little slower up steep hills, but we can live with that, had it for 5 years now and have not had an issue. I'm a big believer in having a car that weighs more than the van, whilst legally we see vehicles that are rated to tow 3.5 tonne, but that's assuming the vehicle is empty (devil in the detail / fine print), but query how safe it is.

We will be looking that Everest when it comes out as they look pretty good, and whilst the cost of the car is up there, we would also need to factor in the accessories, ie tyres, bull bar, spot lights, draws / storage, cargo barrier, roof rack etc for it to do what WE would like the car to do which is I guess why we don't update my 4wd very often.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Going further OT here but really our expectations of the current 4x4s are so high. 25 -30 yrs ago the around Australia rallies and tourists where driving Holden's and fords etc. people took them up the birdsville etc. my sister took her beetle on to Fraser! I remember Falcons at sofala and hill end and up the bridle track.

The current crop of four wheel drives will go to insane places in std condition even with HT tyres. The need to modify them Is partly our want and yes it does make them better so why not.

But I can tell you this if I had my choice between travelling anywhere in AU in a stock Prado or Pajero or the stock G60 or FJ55 my parents owned it would be a no brainer decision.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Agree jimmy......I'm about to tow a 2800 kg all up, van. I don't intend to tow 3500 kg as I know it wouldn't be good for the car and also if you do the maths, 6000 GCM - 3500 tow weight = 2500 kg left over......which Is about the weight of a Ranger with canopy and bull bar......no room for BoD and others....pointless.

Reactions: bigcol

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Still been looking around the net and found more info on whats coming although its old it does cover all tnext generation trucks.
But with toyota bringing out a updated hilux as i already have a land cruiser and its been dependable with years of service ,
then only to read that ford are to revamp the ranger when toyota bring out the hilux.
only time will tell with price wars hopefully to start better deals.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/355792/...-ford-ranger-mitsubishi-triton-nissan-navara/

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
both good and valid points guys.......
yes, a lot of "soccer mums" buy them - eh @Bank of Dad you brought one (or did the missus???)

and yes @Bluey I have yet to see ANY 4x4 off the showroom floor perform well without having to do some modifications, either tyres or suspension
they are built to a cost, not an ability

the Playdoh is a proven item, as per a previous conversation with @dagree about their condition and ability after 20yrs, they are STILL going, and STILL towing 2.5t

all these newer vehicles with their 3.0 - 3.5t towing, I would like to see just how many of them are still doing it in their 20's

I will stick to an old tried and true formula

you want to tow something heavier than 2.5t, and want it to last for ever........
buy
a Landrover
a Nissan Patrol
or
a Land Cruiser

they have proven they can and do tow that much, and last

but thats my opinion

most people buy a car to last 5 years (Choice Magazine) so most cars are only built to last that long

@Bank of Dad feel free to scroll through my posts to see what both my "Soccer Mums" trucks have done.......

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
The only reason i am looking for a new tug as my poor old 1995 6cly 80's landy (non turbo) is not safe as it doesn't even have a drivers air bag but my entire famly is in the landy while on holiday.
It has been struggling up hills with 6 on board and expanda in tow.
every one tells me to buy a turbo great but what one???????

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I love a Defender always wanted one.. no airbags.. I feel like crap if something bad happened. Although have to be a good hit to dint one :)
Even the a 2007-9 Prado has only two front. Pathfinder the same in base model.
Most you need to go to top of the range to get side everyone covered.
If you have someone in the 3rd row harder still :(

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I love a Defender always wanted one.. no airbags.. I feel like crap if something bad happened. Although have to be a good hit to dint one :)
Even the a 2007-9 Prado has only two front. Pathfinder the same in base model.
Most you need to go to top of the range to get side everyone covered.
If you have someone in the 3rd row harder still :(
my prado has heaps there everywhere but its a VX 2007

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Hi all just got back from Ford just test drove the new 2016 Ranger with the tech pack its an awesome looking truck with the new large navagation screen that also combines for the rear camera system.
The new electronic displays either side of the speedo have lots of different displays to roll through, the seats are better aswell
The larger entry side steeps are great to the only thing as it was raining they are slippery as hell would be better as full aluminium
Drives great as well overall even has 240v plug in back of console.
It also has led lighting in the roll bar when looking around in the back tub at night.
Still waiting to see the everest but think I heading towards the new ranger.