Ford Everest

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I am driving one of these in the US at the moment but here it is badged as an Explorer, I am driving the Platinum model. Drives really nice, has all the bells and whistles but its 3.5ltr V6 is well underdone in the power and torque stakes.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/trim/platinum/

Az
Sorry @AzHaych, completely different car. The Everest is straight from the Ranger platform. From memory the Explorer now rides on a derivative of the U.S. D car platform-Taurus.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Sorry @AzHaych, completely different car. The Everest is straight from the Ranger platform. From memory the Explorer now rides on a derivative of the U.S. D car platform-Taurus.
The dash and layout inside are very similar, almost identical which is nice, but the Everest wouldnt need to do much to better than this Explorer!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Although for re sale Prado's keep the $'s :)

Happy wife happy life, little Timmy's mum wants a Prado.......that's why they're popular.

Let's face it, without significant work to the suspension and tyres, they're a very ordinary 4WD. The boot space in the new ones has been reduced to permit rear seat room and they don't tow very much. Personal taste I suppose. I've owned one and enjoyed it, lost 50% of it's value over 7 years (paid $20k when it was 7 years old, sold for $9.3k when 14 years old). Apart from routine maintenance, I had to replace the clutch after it had done 120k with a heavy duty clutch for towing, but that's about it. Average service cost about $750 over the 7 years I had it.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Happy wife happy life, little Timmy's mum wants a Prado.......that's why they're popular.

Let's face it, without significant work to the suspension and tyres, they're a very ordinary 4WD. The boot space in the new ones has been reduced to permit rear seat room and they don't tow very much. Personal taste I suppose. I've owned one and enjoyed it, lost 50% of it's value over 7 years (paid $20k when it was 7 years old, sold for $9.3k when 14 years old). Apart from routine maintenance, I had to replace the clutch after it had done 120k with a heavy duty clutch for towing, but that's about it. Average service cost about $750 over the 7 years I had it.
now please @Bank of Dad can u tell me what 4x4 u can bye that has 4x4 tyres and suspension good enough to do any 4x4ing from new ??? even a new cruiser u would need tyres and better springs and thats near hundred thousand worth was your prado petrol if so I understand u loosing cash how many cars do u make money on after 7 years my wife brought a vx commodore berlina about 7, 8 years ago 17grand near new now lucky to get 3 only 110000 ks so we all loose diesel prados good ones hold there value very well I think and if in time Everest's are all over the road like prados ford will have proven a point to Toyota chicks should like the ford too so lets see what happens im not a female and loved handing over the cash for my prado 07 diesel vx got it with 91 thousand now 130 thousand service cost me bugger all

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

now please @Bank of Dad can u tell me what 4x4 u can bye that has 4x4 tyres and suspension good enough to do any 4x4ing from new ??? even a new cruiser u would need tyres and better springs and thats near hundred thousand worth was your prado petrol if so I understand u loosing cash how many cars do u make money on after 7 years my wife brought a vx commodore berlina about 7, 8 years ago 17grand near new now lucky to get 3 only 110000 ks so we all loose diesel prados good ones hold there value very well I think and if in time Everest's are all over the road like prados ford will have proven a point to Toyota chicks should like the ford too so lets see what happens im not a female and loved handing over the cash for my prado 07 diesel vx got it with 91 thousand now 130 thousand service cost me bugger all

both good and valid points guys.......
yes, a lot of "soccer mums" buy them - eh @Bank of Dad you brought one (or did the missus???)

and yes @Bluey I have yet to see ANY 4x4 off the showroom floor perform well without having to do some modifications, either tyres or suspension
they are built to a cost, not an ability

the Playdoh is a proven item, as per a previous conversation with @dagree about their condition and ability after 20yrs, they are STILL going, and STILL towing 2.5t

all these newer vehicles with their 3.0 - 3.5t towing, I would like to see just how many of them are still doing it in their 20's

I will stick to an old tried and true formula

you want to tow something heavier than 2.5t, and want it to last for ever........
buy
a Landrover
a Nissan Patrol
or
a Land Cruiser

they have proven they can and do tow that much, and last

but thats my opinion

most people buy a car to last 5 years (Choice Magazine) so most cars are only built to last that long

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mind you, I DO want to see one of these Everest's up close (and maybe personal) for my self

I keep hearing wonderful glowing reports

(but that was the same with the Exploder before it came out)

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Well said @bigcol
Yes the "Playdoh" I believe has been kept to the 2.5T limit by Toyota on purpose... Keep up the sales of the higher priced big brother! But you never know they might just change that soon to compete with the ever increasing 3.0 - 3.5T capacity vehicles coming out now!

Reactions: Bluey

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
None Bluey......but not many cost what Toyota want for a Prado.

Mine was petrol as I wasn't towing then......and yep, I can personally attest to the fact that the DIESEL Territory holds its value second hand.

Not sure about Patrol Bigcol......the 3l diesel was a dog.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
None Bluey......but not many cost what Toyota want for a Prado.

Mine was petrol as I wasn't towing then......and yep, I can personally attest to the fact that the DIESEL Territory holds its value second hand.

Not sure about Patrol Bigcol......the 3l diesel was a dog.
Cars a never ending problem to get the right one but I am also waiting to see the new ford after much talk And yes Toyota is over priced but u pay for what u get