Electrical Dual Battery question

xpanda

Apr 28, 2013
Gippsland
xpanda,

There are a number of suppliers of the 200w (2 x 100W) flexible light weight panels.

They appear to be much the same - probably from the same manufacturer!

Just do an eBay search for 200W Flexible Solar

Do your research - make sure that you have enough AMPs to charge your battery setup - I based mine on 80% efficiency for 4 hours per day. Also make sure the Open-Circuit Voltage is below 22V if using a CTEK DC-DC charger with MPPT - If you need to drop the Open-Circuit Voltage a little, you can put 2 x solar diodes in line to drop about 0.6V per diode from 22.7V to 21.5V.

Hopes this helps,

Rohan

Thanks

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
just throwing this out there, has anyone ever considered using 2, 6 volt deep cycle batteries, wired in series to give 12 volts, i have been lead to believe by someone who knows more than me, that 6 volt batteries have a longer life than 12 volt (dont know if this is the case or not)
so, 2 6volt 225ah batteries in series would produce 12volts 225ah
cheers
tony

Scotty

Mar 15, 2014
Adelaide
Please excuse the Virgin (first post). When the sparky fitted my brake controller & hotwire to the 12 pin plug. He indicated the hotwire (caravan side) goes to the fridge or SETEK first then back to the caravan battery. In order to fit the CTEK d250s dual I'm planning to unplug & hijak that hotwire routing everything through the d250s first. Is that about the long and short of it? Any tricks before i start?
Thankyou to all the previous posters too.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Please excuse the Virgin (first post). When the sparky fitted my brake controller & hotwire to the 12 pin plug. He indicated the hotwire (caravan side) goes to the fridge or SETEK first then back to the caravan battery. In order to fit the CTEK d250s dual I'm planning to unplug & hijak that hotwire routing everything through the d250s first. Is that about the long and short of it? Any tricks before i start?
Thankyou to all the previous posters too.

@Scotty,

Welcome to the forum.

Typically Jayco set up the 12 pin plug in such a way that the 12V on the fridge is connected to pins 9 (+ve) and 10 (-ve). If you have a breakaway electric brake controller fitted, it is usually charged via pin 2 - normally reversing lights. This needs to be changed on the vehicle side to also provide constant 12V.

Your caravan battery/s may only be connected to the SETEK and will only charge when the van is connected to 240V. Jayco do not normally connect the SETEK 12V AUX connection.

With most new cars and their "Smart" alternators, they will not charge your van's battery/s well, so this is why you put in a DC-DC charger like the CTEK D250S, or Redarc.

Would be very surprised if the SETEC and the 12V fridge are both connected to the vehicle. We had a cable run from the batteries to an Anderson Plug so that we could charge the batteries while driving.

I would recommend opening the caravan 12 pin plug and writing down which pins are being used as Jayco may not always be consistent with how they are wiring vans.

Attached is our vehicle <-> caravan wiring diagram - hope it helps you out.

Cheers,

Rohan

ronems-vehicle-wiring-diagram-v1-png.png

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
Awesome diagram, but I am wondering if you would need 2 Anderson Plugs on your van side. Wouldn't you be able to plug the Solar into the Anderson Plug that you plug the car into?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Awesome diagram, but I am wondering if you would need 2 Anderson Plugs on your van side. Wouldn't you be able to plug the Solar into the Anderson Plug that you plug the car into?

@Ben Stanford,

I have a dedicated Anderson Plug for solar for the following reasons:
  • On the 200W portable solar panel I have removed the solar regulator from the back, as the solar regulator was not able to top off the batteries beyond about 85% as it was a cheap regulator that came with the panel.
  • For best battery charging with Solar, it is recommended that the regulator is located as close to the battery as possible. The CTEK is right next to them in the van
  • The CTEK D250S is also an MPPT solar regulator and has dedicated solar inputs
Solar power regulators are designed to go from the panel to the battery and given the Anderson Plug from the car goes to the CTEK and not the battery directly, this is why I have two connections.

As the raw solar panel output is 22V, I do not want the wrong plugs connected and frying anything in the van or car, so:
  • Grey Anderson Plug -> Car (12 - 14.8V)
  • Red Anderson Plug -> Solar (22V)
  • Coloured Anderson Plugs are keyed and will only connect to the same colour.
Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Rohan

Reactions: relgate

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Now my turn. @ROnEM, are you still running your Setec for all other functions including charging off 240V? Thank you for your latest diagram.

What do use to monitor van battery status, or does the ctek do that. What I mean is do you have something in the van so you can check battery levels and solar performance?

Cheers Geoff

Last edited:

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@macca,

Yes, at the moment I am still running the SETEC for all 12V functions and also charging when on 240V. However, at some stage I will be replacing it with a CTEK SmartPass and 240V to 12V battery charger.

At the moment I use my trusty multimeter to periodically monitor solar performance and battery levels. Initially I did it a couple of times a day, but now that I know how things typically behave, the checks are done less frequently. Plan is to ultimately put in a BM-1 Battery Monitor.

BM-1.jpg

Cheers,

Rohan

Reactions: macca

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
@Burnsy,

How much effort/time was required to put the BM-1 in?

If it is not too onerous then I might try and put one in before we head off for a few weeks.
It's a piece of cake mate, I recon an hour or so depending on how your wiring is in your van. When I did my solar set up I used links to tidy things up so I just wired it straight into available terminals, but still straight forward otherwise. :)
Cheers.

Last edited:

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
You lot are making me jealous, finances wont stretch at the moment so I'm going to have to wait to get my BM-1 and the solar panels.