Electrical Dual Battery question

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
After last weekend away camped under the trees and fixed solar panel on the roof thought I might add a second battery so my question is Options 1, 2 or 3 or wont it make any difference. I'm leaning towards option 1 but was hoping for an expert opinion Cheers

Attachments

• Battery options.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 850

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
We did a weekend not long ago, had fridge running on gas, lights on and off as usual (converted to LED) and 12V Ipod dock running, on the meter, battery didn't drop its 12V light. I was gonna add another battery, but probably won't worry about it. I have duals in my Prado and leave the 80L Waeco in there. Gonna try putting Waeco on Expanda battery to see how it copes. Also have to change wiring in Expanda to charge the battery while driving.

I would stick to using similar sized batterys in parallel too! As the batteries try to equalise between each other I would wire them up so that the Setec positive goes to the + of battery one and thenegative to the - of battery two. Then make you connections between the two. Not sure why this makes a difference, but everything I have read and seen during my trade and looking on the net, this is how it is done. Apparently make the two batteries behave as one rather thatn two connected which will cause the first in line to have a much shorter lifespan than the other.

Hope this helps!

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Cheers Hubble so like this option 4

Battery.jpg

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Capt. Gadget,

I had 2 batteries installed by Jayco at purchase - mostly for the weight on compliance plate thing....

Anyway, the Setec was connected to battery 1's +ve & -ve terminals, with a cable then connected from battery 1's +ve & -ve terminals to the corresponding terminals on battery 2. 6mm cable from Setec - and replaced factory fitted 6mm2 between batteries with 6B&S - 13mm2, 7mm diameter core, 140amp cable.

Here is my current wiring diagram which details how the Setec is connected, along with all the other components.

ROnEM's Wiring Diagram v3.jpg

Cheers,

Rohan

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Might be a hijack but RonEM, how do you connect from your inverter to 240v appliances? Just with a power board or do you send the power back through the 240v input on the outside? I thought about the later, but the output plugs on the inverter are standard 10amp size, so that would require a 'modded' cable 10amp Male to 15amp female for the van input??

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Cootay,

Right now it is an extension cord and power board from the inverter. Simply unplug the appliance from the caravan power points and put into the power board.

I do like the idea of fitting an external IP44 10Amp power point as others have done. I will plug my Amphibian 10A to 15A converter. I will then plug my normal 15A orange extension lead into the Amphibian or make up a short 1m one.

I know that the RCD will not work as it has no earth point, but I am speaking to my sparky mate about the concept of putting in an earth point where I can connect an earth lead to an earth pin driven into the ground. Will also get him to fit and certify any and all work too for insurance and compliance purposes as this is now 240V territory.

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
ROnEM,
Didnt think about the Amphibian. If you have one that has the built in RCD that would take the place of the Vans RCD? Mine doesn't but if this is the fix, I'll sell that and get the one with the RCD

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
ROnEM,
Didnt think about the Amphibian. If you have one that has the built in RCD that would take the place of the Vans RCD? Mine doesn't but if this is the fix, I'll sell that and get the one with the RCD

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Cootay,

The other key thing to remember is that if you are going to take a feed from the Inverter and ultimately plug it back into the van's 240v power input socket, that you MUST unplug/turn off the Setec at the power point, as this will try to then charge your batteries, while the inverter if flattening them - pity they have not figured out perpetual motion yet!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hmmm...

63kg!

If i had a spare $1,500 I would look at the new Lithium Ion batteries - twice the capacity for the same weight of a gel battery.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Thanks ROnEM, great image.

With your system, you are using the setec to charge your batteries when connected to 240V, is that working OK?
Do you have a panel on the roof or is that a job for later?
Can I ask why the ctek charger, probably dumb ? but I thought the setec could take the 12vdc charge inputs from other sources.

Credit to you. That is the best drawing I have seen, I am ok with power but that helps clear a few things up.

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Sorry to hijack...I was just wondering if Jayco use a specific brand/type of battery in their vans. I noticed that RonEm has GEL batteries in his awesome setup. I have ordered a battery in mine for when it gets delivered and want to eventually install a second.

Cheers

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Thanks ROnEM, great image.

With your system, you are using the setec to charge your batteries when connected to 240V, is that working OK?
Do you have a panel on the roof or is that a job for later?
Can I ask why the ctek charger, probably dumb ? but I thought the setec could take the 12vdc charge inputs from other sources.

Credit to you. That is the best drawing I have seen, I am ok with power but that helps clear a few things up.

maccayak,

Yes, currently the Setec is charging the batteries when on 240V, but it appears to only get them to about 80%.

I do not have panels on the roof - they are currently a 200W folding panel that I can position at the front of the van in any direction. Yes, they weigh 23KG so not keen to put them on the roof. I have been looking at light weight flexible ones - about $600 for 200W @ 4KG.

The Ctek is the DC-DC charger from the car and also has the MPPT for solar input. this makes sure the batteries are charged to 100%.

Yes, the Setec has a 12v aux input that can charge the batteries, but as it is not capable of getting the batteries to 100% charge, then rather useless.

I am thinking of getting the Ctek SmartPass and a Ctek charger and removing the Setec all together as having batteries that are always charged back to their optimal levels will maximise their life.

Hope this helps

Rohan