Drovers New Horse - RG Colorado

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just playing catch up missed these comments while I was away it seems..........................need to charge my aux battery which is the next mod on The Ute, thought about solar but with a Yak on top there's no room, Honda genny on roof no good same reason and since "The Wise One's" advised on another thread against 12v to 12v chargers I am now thinking about wind power, genny, a propeller mounted on the rack, other than chopping up the odd magpie looks good......................

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Just playing catch up missed these comments while I was away it seems..........................need to charge my aux battery which is the next mod on The Ute, thought about solar but with a Yak on top there's no room, Honda genny on roof no good same reason and since "The Wise One's" advised on another thread against 12v to 12v chargers I am now thinking about wind power, genny, a propeller mounted on the rack, other than chopping up the odd magpie looks good......................

dont laugh, but I have a mate of mine swears by his wind genny
he does live down south, and there is a little bit of wind down there - and not much sun, thats why he went wind instead of Solar

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Still tossing around how to charge the aux batt................what about this unit @bigcol and @Crusty181 ,http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page168aa.html it's in my price range and covers what I need and does 30amp so with just the engel hanging off it should keep the battery up to speed and beer cold. Would like a solar panel but no where to put it but if I do find one, cheaper without the regulator it will plug in.

wp89536798.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I may have led you up the garden path. 12v to 12v Ctek charger is a good unit, just needs its own dedicated power without much else robbing amps from its 20amp max, plus i believe its quiet happy working along side the Setec.

Which aux battery are you wanting to charge, car or van

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nah @Crusty181 , just made me think more about the 20amp and look for a bit more grunt , charging the aux in the back, mainly to run the Engel and a bit of led lighting and the air comp on occassion and if I can figure out how to fit some solar on the roof around the kayak won't have to plugin the portable panel when parked up for a few days.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bugga, yesterday picked up a Filter and gasket for the auto from AutoBarn, today I went to do the tranny and the gasket isnt the right one it's too big, seems like the parts listing is wrong and no other options.........went to the Holden dealer, (I know I was desperate) $129 for the filter, okay I thought but then no gasket in box ?? he checked and says Oh !!! must be seperate and it's $90, he does me a deal only $186 for the lot, pigs bum I say I'll go to the US but instead stopped by Repco, $120 and the damn thing fits, so happy again.................checked all over the place no listings for them anywhere, will have to do a reverse search from other vehicles that use the GM 6L50 box and see what I can get from the yanks, but at least I have one place to get them, oh and the damn drive belt is $80, $127 at Holden though, aarrgghh..................so my spares box is nearly adequate but takes some $$$ to do it, but better than sitting out in no where waiting for the mail man.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I changed my fuel filters, what a dream job to do, easy as, not a big pain like the Jeep was, it even self primes, glory days.........

Next up was changing the Tranny oil and filter and doing the Transfer case oil, well the schedule says 150,000km for the tranny, 75,000k if towing, I did mine at 65,000k and it had hardly towed anything and the oil was getting a bit murky, it will be changed every 30,000k from now on. DIY about $200 in parts. The TC oil was murky and was annoying to fill, while the drain plug is a good size the fill plug was smaller than my syringe so we made a slight mess filling it.

Noticed on the fuel filter housing the drain plug is open to any stray rock or stick underneath ( the yellow bit hanging down in pic )and while I found a place that has a bash plate for it, I knocked up one myself so it shouldn't give me any trouble.

fuel01.jpg Out in the open just a bit too much...............fuel04.jpg Not now....

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You never know where we will be in a couple of months time......I'll pack my overalls.....:)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Worked out why the 12 pin plugs some have meltdowns and some don't, never a problem on the Jeep but now on the Colorado it's been a pain.
The position of the socket and how the cable hangs is the key, on the Jeep the plug was low and the cable didn't put any load on the plug but on the Colorado it's mounted higher, the cable hangs putting some load on the plug which also is mounted the other way with the large pins at the top so they get pulled down and bingo bad connection, power plug has melt down and the camera played up since it uses a couple of the big pins.
Van power now runs thru an Anderson and today I put a 2 pin plug on the cam leads, problem solved may even put the van back to 7 pin later on and leave the 12 on the Ute.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Interesting... my plug has the smaller 7 pins along the top row and the 5 at the bottom. The LHS indicator often is a little temperamental but with a push, on it comes. Not enough of a PITA to make me change connectivity.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had the same before but was no biggy just this time the socket sits on top of the tow bar and problems, but not anymore or else !!!!!