CIL Caravan Insurance(Still no theft cover on Expanda's)

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
When we insured the new Panda in August, I called CIL and got exactly the same response as Brad did.

Called RACV and asked very clearly about the bed ends being made of canvas and it is not a problem - covered. Not covered is anything external to the caravan (bikes, chairs, portable solar panels, BBQs, etc. that get pinched) and anything under the awning or in the annex. However, the annex is covered against damage caused by forced entry!

So we are very happy with an agreed value policy with RACV. Even got a further discount due to 20+ years membership. Gotta be happy about that! :D

Coled1970 - again, this is a question I asked the RACV and they said that The pop-top and it's canvas formed part of the caravan and was subsequently covered. They knew what aspects of the caravan I was talking about and said the pop-top with fold out bed ends is not an issue. Only issue is if it is a camper-trailer like Swans, Eagles and fold out tents on trailers where most of the walls are canvas is where their coverage stops.

Devil is in the details - it was this forum that brought this matter to my attention - thanks everyone :D

which is exactly what RACQ told me.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
I was at RACQ less than a month ago and took a picture of my Expanda to them and the girl rung the underwriters who looked up a picture on the web and I was told that if the bed end is down they will not cover the van for Theft!

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi all, it is very important that you get your confirmation from the underwriters. Anyone in the office/phone sales/brokers are just sales people! It is your responsibility to read the product disclosure statements.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I HEREBY RETRACT ALL PREVIOUS COMMENTS SUPPORTING CIL AND THEIR THEFT COVER THROUGH BED ENDS.

Despite receiving the following statement from CIL on 21st November 2011 after taking out a policy (with increased contents)
Thank you for your enquiry.
The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers, where the whole tent is made of canvas.
If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to call CIL on 1800‐112481.
Kind regards,

After all the current postings I yesterday asked CIL the following;

Hi, I took a policy with CIL when I purchased my Jayco Expanda in Nov last year. Prior to taking it out, I read the PDS and asks for clarification on a few items. One of those was in regards to the van having soft walls when opened, and the policy suggested theft would not be covered.
I received a written response from a Sales and Service Consultant stating "The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers, where the whole tent is made of canvas."

I am part of an 'Expandas' forum and have stated the above many times, but when other members make inquiries they are told theft will not be covered, period. As such they go to other insurers who state it will be covered.

This conversation has started again, and at the moment my policy is due for renewal.

So could I again seek written clarification from CILs underwriters if theft is covered from a van such as a Jayco Expanda, if entry is made through the canvas bedends. Noting that the van has hard main walls, but the canvas is permanently fixed in place [ie no velcoed attachment etc) so entry can only be made by cutting. I understand this does not apply to soft walled annexes.

and todays answer

Thank you for your enquiry, we do cover theft but it has to show forcible entry, so if expensive items are in a locked box and can show the lock has been destroyed , it would be covered, if they slashed the walls and a theft occurred then it would not be covered as it is a high risk, we have not had a lot of claims through theft like the forum is talking about.

Kind regards

How a slashed wall is not "forced entry" is beyond me. The policy has now been cancelled and a new one taken with RACV at $80 more. When cancelling the policy the rep asked why and all I needed to say was "I am one of the disgruntled Expanda owners". He knew exactly what has been going on

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We should probably all make our local jayco dealers aware too. When we called into jayco in bendigo we were taking about insurance and the sales guy didn't know that and always recommended cil

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
We had friends who had a pop top Jayco freedom and the thieves broke in through vinyl at top. They were in a park south of Perth and GIO covered them. That's why we went,with GIO

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
From andrea's tip I rang suncorp, have come in slightly dearer than NRMA but suncorp have better coverage, and will cover items in the Annex. NRMA won't cover the annex contents. I rang RACV, and they already had my details, turns out from the NRMA quote the other day, they are the same it appears.
Both mobs will cover contents in the expanda when the bed is down. I reckon CIL are going to start losing business, their dirty little secret is out!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
We should probably all make our local jayco dealers aware too. When we called into jayco in bendigo we were taking about insurance and the sales guy didn't know that and always recommended cil

Andrea - after reading the CIL "Canvas Gate" threads back in July and August this year prior to delivery, I raised this very issue with sales people at both Jayco Bendigo and Geelong. They were all unaware of the CIL canvas bed-end issue back then but are clearly still "recommending" their products to Expanda customers. Have spoken to Bendigo twice now about this. Guess the onus is ultimatly on use, the consumer, to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Cheers,

Ro

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I also just called and dumped CIL, gave them a polite spray as well.... Now with AAMI who actually had the Eagle before the Panda, about $20 more but i had him check about the canvas issue with his boss and they told me both the Panda and canvas annex (if i had one) would be covered for theft of items.
cheers

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
I guess from reading these threads CIL are OUT! They maybe be slightly cheaper but it's better to have the safe guard of knowing you are covered.:car:

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
WE are insured with CIL at this point in time , as its nearly time for renewal i will ring them and give them a polite talking to as they did lie to us about this matter , from memory i rang 5 times last year before we paid up , we were told its not a problem and the underwriters would cover us / new i should not trust them [CIL] I think i will ask for my hard earned cash back , do you think i will get it , I DONT lol

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
stormpatrol,
go ahead and ask for the cash back, i got mine back from a receipted record of conversation from insurance company (not CIL) as they knowingly provided a policy which was contrary to the recorded conversation.
cheers pace.

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Just a quick update I got a reply from CIL and they said they will contact StrayDingo as the written confirmation he has is wrong!!! THEY DO NOT COVER EXPANDA'S!!!!
Quote "I have read the November 2011 email from CIL Insurance, which you also provided, and confirm that the information provided in it by our staff member wasn’t accurate." "I can certainly clarify for both you and the online forum’s readers what our CIL Secure Caravan Insurance Policy (‘Policy’) does and does not cover, in relation to theft of contents from expandable-style caravans." "In circumstances where a theft of contents occurs from a caravan which does not have hard walls, as at the time of the theft, then our Policy does not provide cover. Taking the example of a Jayco Expanda, when the bed area is expanded, the material on the outer side of the caravan at that time would not be considered a ‘hard wall’ under our Policy."

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
Found a few people with AAMI insurance so rang for a quote, I organized cover with suncorp on Friday but have a few more days to shop around before I pay.

Hit a snag with AAMI to be aware of, seems to be a QLD thing. They would only allow $500 contents insurance and wouldn't allow me to increase. I have asked all companies to quote on $1000 contents. Then they tell me there's a $400 excess that would apply, so basically no contents insurance. he did tell me the excess varies depending what state you are in apparently SA was the lowest, think it was 200 or 250. For a second we were moving to SA, but only for a second.....:smile:

There premium was a bit over $100 cheaper though.

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
ok i will post my findings in the next few days i have rang a few i can tell you that allianz is the same as CIL as it will not insure the canvass part (same thing)
i will post a few more after a broker gets back to me with a few more i have rang GIO AAMI ..........ECT
post in few days

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
ok i will post my findings in the next few days i have rang a few i can tell you that allianz is the same as CIL as it will not insure the canvass part (same thing)
i will post a few more after a broker gets back to me with a few more i have rang GIO AAMI ..........ECT
post in few days

Good stuff thomo, you saved me ringing allianz, GIO are the same as Suncorp up here, you will get complete coverage I believe. Maybe just a little more expensive, suncorp were.

Anyone tried QBE?

Thx
Jas

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
Good stuff thomo, you saved me ringing allianz, GIO are the same as Suncorp up here, you will get complete coverage I believe. Maybe just a little more expensive, suncorp were.

Anyone tried QBE?

Thx

Jas

Not yet like I said I have a broker
looking into right now I will keep you posted
Cheers