CIL Caravan Insurance(Still no theft cover on Expanda's)

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I have emailed CIL requesting clarification using their previous answer as a starting point. I'll post the response when received. (if there is a delay, its cos I'm finding a new insurer:))

Previously I received a email stating:
The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers,
where the whole tent is made of canvas.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I rang up CIL this morning and explained to them that I am part of a caravan forum and concern had been raised amongst members that CIL does not cover theft for expandas where the theft occurs through the fold out bed ends via the canvas.
The person put me on hold and spoke to another section in CIL to have it clarified.
When she came back she said if the bed end is down and the canvas is exposed and theft occurs where entry was obtained via the canvas bed ends, then I would not be covered. If however the bed ends were folded up and the bed ends were locked when theft occurred then I would be covered.
So I said two things:
1. Thanks very much. Will talk to my wife tonight but will probably call back tomorrow to cancel my policy.
2. So CIL are aware, I reiterated I found this out via a caravan forum with a lot of members concerned of this not being covered and we have other members who are with other insurance companies that seem to cover theft in this manner. She was surprised to hear other companies were insuring and thanked me for the info.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I rang up CIL this morning and explained to them that I am part of a caravan forum and concern had been raised amongst members that CIL does not cover theft for expandas where the theft occurs through the fold out bed ends via the canvas.
The person put me on hold and spoke to another section in CIL to have it clarified.
When she came back she said if the bed end is down and the canvas is exposed and theft occurs where entry was obtained via the canvas bed ends, then I would not be covered. If however the bed ends were folded up and the bed ends were locked when theft occurred then I would be covered.
So I said two things:
1. Thanks very much. Will talk to my wife tonight but will probably call back tomorrow to cancel my policy.
2. So CIL are aware, I reiterated I found this out via a caravan forum with a lot of members concerned of this not being covered and we have other members who are with other insurance companies that seem to cover theft in this manner. She was surprised to hear other companies were insuring and thanked me for the info.
Good update Brad, let me know what happens with sourcing another insurer to cover the panda's
cheers

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
When we insured the new Panda in August, I called CIL and got exactly the same response as Brad did.

Called RACV and asked very clearly about the bed ends being made of canvas and it is not a problem - covered. Not covered is anything external to the caravan (bikes, chairs, portable solar panels, BBQs, etc. that get pinched) and anything under the awning or in the annex. However, the annex is covered against damage caused by forced entry!

So we are very happy with an agreed value policy with RACV. Even got a further discount due to 20+ years membership. Gotta be happy about that! :D

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Last year when we had a thread about this same issue I ended up going to SUNCORP who also covers Expanda's and ended up being cheaper than CIL anyway! But when my renewal came up this year I remembered StrayDingo's post about them saying they do cover, hence why I contacted them. But once again the said "NO" They are pathetic the first thing they want to add to your policy is extra content cover which they don't cover!!!

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
So I said two things:

Hi Folks,
Same response from CIL when I rang today to discuss insurance in time for fridays handover. No contents theft cover when bed is down, would be interesting to see if they cover the damage to gain entry, might be a double whammy, Said thanks but no thanks.
Even the Jayco Dealer today didn't know when I mentioned it to him, he pointed at a Swan and said what about them? No good I told him. Plenty of CIL signs up though.
Rang NRMA and they tell me they cover contents theft for the expanda with bed down, but like others have said, nothing in the annex which is the norm i guess.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
So as of an hour ago, see ya later CIL, hello RACV.
As per other posts, the question to RACV was what happens to theft through the canvas bed ends. Reply was weather forced entry occurs through a door or through a bed end via canvas, it is still forced entry. Thus yes you are covered.

Thank god for that reply!! Because I was struggling to come to terms with the difference between a thief jimmying a door with a screwdriver as opposed to putting that same screwdriver through a bed end and ripping a big hole in canvas to gain entry.

I then rang up CIL and cancelled the policy. When asked why I wanted to cancel I said because you do not cover fully for theft. She stumbled her words and said oh are you an expanda owner? Yes you are.
And then moved on with closing the policy.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi brad,
Thanks to this forum I think the cat is starting to get out of the bag, like others have said, they are happy to take our money, and offer extra contents cover, but keep it quiet we aren't covered. I spoke to the CIL rep at the recent show on the weekend, and he knew the van was an expanda and never mentioned a thing. They should be obligated to tell people. Thanks to all of you, I never read pds's, lesson there I guess. Did you find RACV comparable on price? Not sure we can insure with RACV up here, and from what other members up here are saying RACQ won't cover either.
Jas

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Thanks for the heads up guys, we are with CIL and never realised that we weren't covered. We went with CIL initially as they were recommended by our Jayco dealer. Looks like we'll also be on the hunt for a new insurance company tomorrow and will be looking into the policies in a bit more detail!!!!!!

04diesel

Oct 20, 2012
brisbane
I'm thinking that if there are any members who are on this forum that are on other forums, that they should start spreading the news about CIL and their sneaky ways of taking our money knowing full well that should any of us make a claim for a break in through a bed end that we are not covered.I've had a quick flick on other forums and there seems to be alot of people with similar designed vans to the expanda's using CIL who are probably un aware of lack of cover with canvas bed ends and am thinking the dealers who recomend them are possibly getting bonus's for recomending them as insurers.We contacted shannon's who we have multi car policys with and they recomender CIL but after reading this thread we WON'T be using CIL when our van turns up.A big thanks for the info about them.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Well another question then! What happens to all the pop top owners if someone decides to cut through the material between the roof and walls? Wonder if CIL class that as forced entry or not!!!

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
Hi brad,
Thanks to this forum I think the cat is starting to get out of the bag, like others have said, they are happy to take our money, and offer extra contents cover, but keep it quiet we aren't covered. I spoke to the CIL rep at the recent show on the weekend, and he knew the van was an expanda and never mentioned a thing. They should be obligated to tell people. Thanks to all of you, I never read pds's, lesson there I guess. Did you find RACV comparable on price? Not sure we can insure with RACV up here, and from what other members up here are saying RACQ won't cover either.
Jas
Hi Jas, When i got the quote off CIL it was only about $10.00 diff, higher that was, than RACV but that was only here nor there, but the forced entry through the canvas ends was what made my mind up !!

Two days to go and counting !!

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi coled1970,
The way they were talking today, the sticking point doesn't seem so much about forced entry, the pds mentions "hard walls". I reckon you would be in an argument if something happens. you would hope sanity prevailed, but a risk I guess.

Jas

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Jas, When i got the quote off CIL it was only about $10.00 diff, higher that was, than RACV but that was only here nor there, but the forced entry through the canvas ends was what made my mind up !!

Two days to go and counting !!
Hi Glenn, yep agree, no CIL for me, got a price from NRMA, just over $800. will be phoning suncorp tomorrow to compare. Counting the hours mate, she looked real good this afternoon.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Well another question then! What happens to all the pop top owners if someone decides to cut through the material between the roof and walls? Wonder if CIL class that as forced entry or not!!!

Coled1970 - again, this is a question I asked the RACV and they said that The pop-top and it's canvas formed part of the caravan and was subsequently covered. They knew what aspects of the caravan I was talking about and said the pop-top with fold out bed ends is not an issue. Only issue is if it is a camper-trailer like Swans, Eagles and fold out tents on trailers where most of the walls are canvas is where their coverage stops.

Devil is in the details - it was this forum that brought this matter to my attention - thanks everyone :D

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Ours is insured with the NRMA which is the RACQ equivalent, i had conversations with CIL at the Melbourne Leisure Fest and got the same answer as everyone else. Just got to thinking that the peice between the roof and walls is not a "hard wall" so would CIL cover entry through it. May be a trap for all pop top owners if it isn't covered.
I know my parents neighbour was insured with CIL and his van was unlocked in the shed which was locked, thief's forced entry to the shed and ransacked the van but because the van wasn't locked CIL wouldn't cover it.

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
thanks for the info guys i am with CIL as well i have the same problems as discribed here i am going to look for someone else as well thanks for the heads up

can people put up the compered places they are checking with like nrma and suncorp etc i will be be doing the ring around in the next few weeks to compere i will post my results

many thanks guys