CIL Caravan Insurance(Still no theft cover on Expanda's)

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
I spoke with RACQ yesterday and they said I was covered if it was forced entry through the canvas. In the PDS it says no cover for Annexe which is normal. I am a multi-policy holder and pay $624. Excess is $400.
Anyone else with RACQ that can confirm?
Cheers Deano

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I spoke with RACQ yesterday and they said I was covered if it was forced entry through the canvas. In the PDS it says no cover for Annexe which is normal. I am a multi-policy holder and pay $624. Excess is $400.
Anyone else with RACQ that can confirm?
Cheers Deano

Agreee with all that Deano. Also a multi policy holder plus 50 year gold membership and I pay $533 with $400 excess. The only thing I don't like about their policy is they insure me for $40,000 or market value whichever is less. Their market value is the cheapest that an equivalent age and condition van can be purchased.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Deano racq underwriters said entry via canvas is not forceful. You can try to make claim through unexpected events which they may consider..... So no definite cover.... One of the other members had this same response when the underwriters were shown photos of the van as well if you want to go back through the thread.

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
Not yet like I said I have a broker
looking into right now I will keep you posted
Cheers

just rang QBE hopeless to deal with on the phone all i can get was a price
the two people on the phone were so unorganized so all i can tell you was the price was much more expensive i am still waiting on a broker to get back to me then i will post results

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
In a combined response to a few of the above messages;

I signed with RACV, with $1000 contents. It could be increased , but they do not include laptops or cameras in their contents - so I need to fix them up as part of my home contents 'away-from-home' items. (probably works out cheaper overall) I haven't got it in writing yet but was told that entry through the canvas canvas/pop-top was covered, but not annex as it is not secure (Zips/velcro and the like). $680 for $200 excess, and $43000 non-depreciating value for the life of the van.
QBE was almost twice the cost. AAMI came in a bit cheaper (with the other policies held) but they came up with the wrong van and details in the quote....

Tiger

Jan 16, 2013
Frankston, Vic
Great info, we are also insured with CIL and was recommended by our Jayco dealer, will be reviewing our insurer straight away, as a newby to the forum I would like thank all that have posted on this subject.

Hi Guys,

I've got to be honest, I'd seen this thread but not read it until today. I'm in the same boat as a lot of you and had CIL recommended by our dealer. Really not happy about it, but I can't blame someone else for my miss-information. Thanks for the heads u pguys and we'll be looking around before picking up our new van!

Cheers,
Rob

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I have verified with CIL for our insurance on the Expanda, and they DO cover theft if access via bed end canvas or pop, as the walls are predominantly solid. Again, they do not cover contents in the annex. Ours was $520 witha $200 excess for 40000 + $1000 annex cover.

Cheers

Craig

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I think it is important to note that this thread is old.
Back then CIL did not offer the bed end cover.
Since then, my understanding is that CIL changed their policy.
So do the shopping around and I would include CIL today in that shopping list.
It sounds like the main difference today between insurers is if annex contents are covered.

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Well they [cil] told me that they do not cover entry through bed ends , this conversation was just before xmas , cant trust any of them !

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
Hi I rang CIL and explained my concerns about the ambiguous nature of the PDS as it really isnt clear that it covers expandas or anything with canvas ends. I asked them for something in writing and below is what they sent me as they took care of me very well when I nearly burnt down my van I wanted to give them the chance to make me comfortable so I could renew with them. So in short Expandas are covered camper vans are not - lucky I moved from my flamingo :)

"I appreciate and acknowledge all your concerns regarding the level of coverage on your Jayco Expanda caravan.

As we have received some feedback about this issue we have been liaising with our legal and claims department to ensure we are providing our customers with the correct information.

Both departments have confirmed that our policy will allow for theft to be covered from these caravans, even if entry has occurred via the expandable soft walls. As long as the caravan has some hard wall components then our policy covers you for theft of contents. In this instance, this means that your contents is covered. As always, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for more information about your policy coverage.

As a valued CIL customer, I hope that this provides you with much more peace of mind in terms of your insurance policy."

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Yeh we are insured through CIL also and have had the same response, expandas are definetly covered under there policy.